Eternal Citta and Ordaining in Thailand

Hello,
Are almost all forest monks in thailand believing in the eternal citta theory of Ajahn Mun, and Ajahn Maha Bua? And I have heard the forest monks in thailand don’t study the suttas deeply.
I would like to find a small, remote Monastery, with a good but not necessarily famous teacher, who is into meditation, studying the vinaya strictly and understands Anatta in the way that there is no eternal consciousness, citta or eternal anything, just Samsara and Nibbana.

I am not intending to have a discussion about my views, I am just asking if it is realistically possible to find a good place in thailand, that fits me.

All the best to you.

In most places you will have freedom and isolation to study as you intend. I am aware Thai forest monks are usually not into pushing on each other their views and interpretations.
All that is needed is that you do your part in the monastery or hermitage routine, from cleaning and occasional work to daily alms round and periodical patimokkha ceremonies.
:anjal:

3 Likes

There is a difference between western Buddhism and that practised in Buddhist countries. Finding a teacher is a question of fruition of kamma and if one travels around a teacher at your level will eventually appear, and it is a matter of recognizing, accepting and benefiting from that connection. However western Buddhists think of going to Asia under the misconception they will find in person there the level and approach they have been accustomed to reading the works of Analayo, Bikkhu Bodhi and Thanissaro. Those will always remain the main source of information and the teacher and populace in Asia merely a background, but a necessary one, the environment there being more conducive to meditation due to different attitudes and a slower pace. Knowing that life is suffering, the people try to make it as gentle as possible. These attitudes makes Asia a more sensible place to be in the post-corona world than the west.

1 Like

Yes, generally this is true.

I think it’s one thing if you want to find a teacher as a reliable guide, that is more difficult. Most teachers in Thailand would want to focus on practical matters, and in fact, they would view an over-concern with theory in a beginning student as a red flag.

The most important thing is to find a community or place whose values you resonate with and which supports you to become a better person.

5 Likes

If I may ask. Why are you actually from? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks to everyone of you.
I am from Austria, if that is what you are asking Upasaka_Dhammasara.

:joy: typo. Cool. Nice place. Have you thought European monasteries?

1 Like

Yes, if it is possible I want to ordain in Muttodaya in Germany for the 5 year initial period. But I haven’t contacted and visited them yet. Then I want to check out thailand.

1 Like

I haven’t heard of them. I think being around people that you can communicate good with is very important

2 Likes

They have a website in german, english and in thai. Muttodaya.org
They have a great medialibrary with lots of dhammatalks. I listen to one almost everyday. I especially like the Venerable Mettiko and the Venerable Cattamalo. ( is it appropriate to say the venerable …? Or is it necessary to add Bhikkhu or Ajahn? ) When you listen to their talks it seems they value the dhamma-vinaya very highly, thats what attracts me there.

I am currently trying to learn thai in preperation for the future, yes, I also think communication is very important.

Venerable is good here. But maybe at the monastery itself monks are so lax that they sometime prefer no title. :joy:

But it’s good to ask each personal. How should I call Bhante?

Wow the abbot can probably teach you alot. If you interested visit once SBS

It’s in Malaysia. Very kind Teacher. And the place is like heaven. That’s the last monastery I visited. The kutis are nice. Simple. But ordained have a little bigger one.

One thing I like also. When ordaining they don’t follow the 1 year samanera procudere. If your old enough as vinaya said you’ll become a Bhikkhu.

The atmosphere is neither hot nor cold. When I went it rained in the mornings and later the whole day sun. :sunny:

1 Like

Thank you for the mentioning of the monastery, it seems very good from what I have seen in the internet so far. May I ask, where are you from?

I’m not sure. :joy: I was born in Holland but raised in Aruba, Dutch Caribbean.

If you liked that monastery. Email the office. Normally they recommend visit first time. See the place. See if it’s right for you. But I tell you the truth. The teacher study vinaya. There is vinaya study. They follow vinaya. With realistic interpretations for today. If you go in the Bhikkhu Pre-training which normally happens once yearly. That will take 4 months I think. Then you are ordained. The Bhikkhus there are international. And Teacher studied under Pa Auk and Thai Forest tradition and visited many places. That place is fun. Weekend your free to follow your own schedule. I don’t know a lot . Since I didn’t stay long. But highly recommend that monastery. Many other monks visited that place from all over. Once Sayadaw Pa Auk visited that place. That place has much blessings. The landscape is organized. There is a big support from the laypersons. You have to walk to the foundation that helps the monastery for the alms. You can choose what you eat. The food for breakfast and lunch have to be chosen immediately. That is eating in 2 . But it’s according to vinaya. Food is taken in bowl or food containers for laypersons only once. They have a library. And internet room. Teacher call it Internet cafe. :joy:

The monks are slowly growing in numbers . It’s a great community.

I will visit again soon. :pray:t4:

3 Likes

Thank you for your assessment, it seems like a good place to visit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually the reason I say was because it actually doesn’t take long with them to be ordained. Imagine going now to see it. And January till April is training. And then @ same month ordained. You can’t find a international monastery like that nowadays. Your welcome. Any questions just send me PM. :v:

1 Like

Thank you for that, but I am not really in a rush to be fully ordained, very nice of you anyway. :slight_smile: :orange_heart:

1 Like

I understand. I just believe the 1 year process is unnecessary. And like the Teacher said you will want to consider going other places after the 5 years.

So in my opinion. That 1 year and sometimes even more as Samanera is more than the months that was needed. It’s just feels unnatural. :joy:

But yeah I understand you will be visiting places now right?

1 Like

That’s true, but I still don’t have a big problem with it. I am not yet ready to go visiting places, I have to save up money first, which can take a while. Even though my plan is to ordain at Muttodaya I want to see many places as a lay buddhist first, before my final decision. I don’t want to choose the place that’s the most convenient, but which is best for the practice.
What I like about Muttodaya is the dhamma talks, that it is in a remote forest, and that it is small. What is your opinion on monastery sizes? Do you like big groups or small ones?

oh yeah. The saving money is factor also. The other monastery I found will have to first get to know you. Then there is visa problems. And going back home. I know it. So much money. :joy: this journey nowadays is longer. :slight_smile: it’s still worth it. But don’t do like me. Don’t mess up your journey while saving for that goal. :joy: I’m married now with a child, :man_facepalming:t3:

But still I had stroke which changed the plan also.

1 Like