Facebook is bad and you should stop using it

Now THAT is some awesome Effin Buddhist humor. :upside_down_face::exploding_head::japanese_ogre::ghost::crazy_face:

4 Likes

My personal feelings about Mr. Trump aside, I have concerns about dragging politics into forum discussion, even if the intent is humor. There are many people on the forum with varying ideologies, and political discussions can lead down a miserable rabbit hole. Best to leave that kind of thing on Facebook! :open_mouth: :smile:

11 Likes

You’re correct Nadine. I’ll be more mindful; it is a sensitive topic. (And I deleted my replies to prevent any problems from arising.)

5 Likes

This is a very interesting conversation. I see all the negatives, but I think it is all in the way you use it. You don’t have to throw the baby out with the bath water. I have managed to filter things out so that I have a very POSITIVE, POLITICS- free feed. If someone complains a lot, I unfollow. If someone is political at all, I unfollow.
Facebook is a way for my 86 year old great -aunt and my brother who lives across the country to see pics of my kids.
It allows me to connect with people who share my hobbies (crochet and needlepoint) and see their work. It also helps me sign up for events at my retreat house and see posts from monks and monasteries about events, I also use it to connect with spiritual friends from my sangha and spread light and positivity.
I ONLY post positive things, only use right speech when posting, and I ignore everything and everyone else.
I take it off my phone when I find myself checking too often.
And also, there is no way people don’t get a little dopamine rush from someone positively recognizing and commenting on your posts here on Sutta Central. That’s just human nature.

6 Likes

As it happens, I did just post on Facebook about BREXIT. :yum:

PS Sorry about the jargon - BREXIT means Britain exiting the European Union. A sad and sorry saga!

1 Like