For my birthday

Hey y’all it’s my birthday! :fireworks: :cake:

People often wonder about what they can give a monk for their birthday: what to give the person who has nothing?

Well, here are some birthday present ideas that I’d really appreciate.

• Do some meditation.
  • Read a sutta.
  • Be kind and generous.
  • Let go.

Be happy everyone, we’re alive and living!

60 Likes

Alles Gute zum Geburtstag, Ehrwürdiger!

9 Likes

Bhante, I wish you a very happy birthday today, and many more filled with good health and happiness. Thank you for the gifts that you give all of us here every day, gifts of Dhamma and its understanding, scholarship, and general wisdom, sila, and inspiration as the Buddha would have hoped his monastics would give to others.

13 Likes

Happy birthday Bhante @sujato :birthday::cupcake::partying_face::clap:t4:
Wishing you health and happiness in your path to no more birthdays!

I hope some good news from the USA today would be a small gift for all your hard work and service to the Dhamma :pray:t3:

9 Likes

A very happy birthday to you bhante … this amazing site has helped us all do more of all those things!!!

9 Likes

Happy Birthday Bhante!

May you have no wishes,

And cake, :birthday:

:pray: :smiley:

14 Likes

Happy birthday Bhante. May you see your highest wish come true. :wheel_of_dharma:

Plus good coffee :coffee:

11 Likes

Happy birthday Bhante, may you be well.

9 Likes

Happy Birthday, Bhante! I will definitely get you

• Do some meditation.
  • Read a sutta.
  • Be kind and generous.

for your birthday.

I will get you

• Let go.

if I can find it. Sometimes supplies are low. :wink:

:birthday:

13 Likes

Sadhu! Happy birthday!
Long life, Good Health, Joy and Strength - may these five qualities be always present in your life and in the life of those near and dear to you! :anjal:

9 Likes
  • Do some meditation. Done.
  • Read a sutta. Done.
  • Be kind and generous. I was in a group this morning where the Dhamma talk focussed on kindness.

But I didn’t know it was your birthday, so I’ll do it all again and dedicate the merit to your aspirations for this site.

13 Likes

Happy Birthday Bhante! May the music that is your life guide all beings to the far shore! :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

janmadinamidam ayi priya sujāta
kalyāṇaṃ tu te sarvadā mudam //

O dear Sujato, may this birthday
bring you happiness and joy always :pray:

9 Likes

Happy Birthday Bhante
Thanks for all the good that you do, for your endless dedication and forbearance (where needed).
:anjal:

7 Likes

A very happy birthday to you, Bhante!

:pizza: :cake: :ice_cream: :coffee: :strawberry: :beetle: :four_leaf_clover: :whale: :stars: :rainbow:

While it is great to commemorate birthdays, there is also something else:

AN3.12:4.1: In the same way, a mendicant should commemorate three places as long as they live.
What three?
The place where the mendicant shaved off their hair and beard, dressed in ocher robes, and went forth from the lay life to homelessness.
This is the first place.
The place where the mendicant truly understands: ‘This is suffering’ … ‘This is the origin of suffering’ … ‘This is the cessation of suffering’ … ‘This is the practice that leads to the cessation of suffering’.
This is the second place.
The place where the mendicant realizes the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life. And they live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements.
This is the third place.
These are the three places a mendicant should commemorate as long as they live.

(Thinking of a Sutta about birthdays, this is the closest I can find.)

Wishing you happy commemorating of many good things! :pray:

16 Likes

Congrats Bhante :sparkles: :pray: :sparkles:

I will soon be out walking, meditating more or less noisily, I hope :v:

9 Likes

That’s my birthday too! :grinning:
That list is also a really good one as things to do on your own birthday :smiley: I just added to mine listening to a Dhamma talk:)

I wish you Bhante no need of wishing anything :fallen_leaf:

12 Likes

Happy Birthday Bhante!!!

8 Likes

Bhante happy birthday and thanks for gifting the world with Sutta Central :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Hey Bhante best wishes Belated Birthday , one more step nearer to death :laughing:

13 Likes