Generating examples for use in Voice and other applications with Georg’s script

Chat? I have discovered something interesting…:thinking:

1 Like

Find the link in the private dev thread.

1 Like

Added ‘eight liberations’ to examples. Six suttas deal with this interesting topic.

1 Like

Thank you! Added “acht Befreiungen”.

I find 10.

1 Like

We had both “fruits of giving” (2 results, the two Siha Suttas) and “fruit of giving” (3 results, adding Iti 26 to the list which is a very beautiful little Sutta. I removed “fruits of giving” to keep the one that includes the Iti Sutta.

1 Like

Adding examples:

• never become famous | niemals berühmt werde (3 results)
  • bowl upside down | Schale umdrehen (1 result)—it points to an important Vinaya rule.
  • the supreme wheel of dhamma | das unübertreffliche Rad des Dhamma (13 results)—points to MN 141, which is an explanation of the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path first explained in the first Sutta
2 Likes

Added example “live for”. This finds DN26 as the first result:

DN26:19.1: There will come a time, mendicants, when these people will have children who live for ten years.

I did consider “there will come a time”, but we already have a “there comes a time”

1 Like

Thanks for finding a way to point to the interesting DN 26!

1 Like

I am adding

• a heart full of love to one direction | eine Himmelsrichtung mit einem Herzen voller Liebe

This points to the metta meditation formula (followed by the other brahmaviharas, unless abbreviated) and has 29 results.

1 Like

Added:

• “with tongue pressed” this finds suttas describing over-exertion during meditation.
  • “the unsurpassable” this finds six suttas. I kept hearing this in DN34 and finally sat down to understand what it meant.
2 Likes

Hmm … I think this one is a little problematic. The actual phrase “with tongue pressed” doesn’t occur anywhere in the Suttas, and we only get a keyword search with results like “with teeth clenched and tongue pressed”. This may work in Voice, but not on EBT-Sites.

Good for English :pray:, unfortunately not working for German. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Oops. Thanks for catching that. I updated it to “tongue pressed”, which returns four suttas

“Unübertreffliches” finds 10 of your translations?

“unsurpassable” finds 18, but perhaps you haven’t translated some of these:

32.128  dn28
30.448  an6.30
4.5     an6.8
4.003   dn33
2.054   an1.170-187
2.009   mn35
2.002   dn34
1.143   an6.140
1.125   an6.24
1.091   an6.22
1.033   an6.23
1.031   an6.21
1.03    an10.22
1.026   an6.27
1.023   an6.28
1.022   an6.25
1.019   an6.29
1.016   an6.26
1 Like

Thank you, that’s great.

Well, for English with the entire canon translated there are 6, for German with only a quarter translated there are already 10. I had a few similar cases where it got overwhelming after a few more months of translating, so I am a bit careful. Will think about it again at a later point perhaps.

1 Like

OK. I wanted to highlight AN6.30, which you can do with “Unübertreffliche Dinge” (7 suttas)

1 Like

Ah, good to know. “unübertreffliche Dinge” at least finds Suttas that all have the word “unsurpassable” in the English text. For “unübertreffliches”, only 5 out of 10 results do have that.

Thanks for taking all this effort for German!

Added: I just had a look, and we have already “unübertreffliche Dinge” in our list! And we have “unsurpassable”, so with adding “the unsurpassable” that might be a bit redundant.

And … AN 6.30 is indeed worth highlighting!

1 Like

OK. I changed English to have “unsurpassable things” and that will match Deutsch.

1 Like

I have added

• all conditions are impermanent | alle Bedingungen sind unbeständig (7 results)

It points to this funeral chant.

1 Like

Great example.

:thinking: I wonder what non-Buddhists will think of this as a funeral chant. Without understanding the Four Noble Truths, such a sutta might be quite depressing!

1 Like

Added:

• “apex” for the fruit of the brahmaviharas
  • “conditioned by which” for 2 suttas that point out that the pleasant and painful experience of deeds arises out of condtioning by ignorance. An alternate example might be “when conditioned”. Arbitrarily chose the first unless you like the second or have another suggestion.
1 Like

Added “die bedingen könnten”. :white_check_mark:

1 Like