Generating examples for use in Voice and other applications with Georg’s script

How did that happen? :chocolate_bar:

1 Like

Every evening when my mind is dull, two bites of dark chocolate wakes my brain up. If I became a monk I would wail and cry for dark chocolate. :laughing:

1 Like

This same thing happens to me too. :laughing:

And only now do I understand the slight but noteworthy difference between “fallen from” and “fallen for”. In the case of dark chocolate, the latter is something I can much better relate to. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:white_check_mark:

:white_check_mark:

Hmm. It more than doubles the number of results. “head w.* on fire” has 16, “on fire” has 34, many of which are just the title of a Vagga, and the actual Sutta doesn’t have that term at all.

Anything that speaks against “head w.* on fire”?

1 Like

Chat? I have discovered something interesting…:thinking:

1 Like

Find the link in the private dev thread.

1 Like

Added ‘eight liberations’ to examples. Six suttas deal with this interesting topic.

1 Like

Thank you! Added “acht Befreiungen”.

I find 10.

1 Like

We had both “fruits of giving” (2 results, the two Siha Suttas) and “fruit of giving” (3 results, adding Iti 26 to the list which is a very beautiful little Sutta. I removed “fruits of giving” to keep the one that includes the Iti Sutta.

1 Like

Adding examples:

• never become famous | niemals berühmt werde (3 results)
  • bowl upside down | Schale umdrehen (1 result)—it points to an important Vinaya rule.
  • the supreme wheel of dhamma | das unübertreffliche Rad des Dhamma (13 results)—points to MN 141, which is an explanation of the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path first explained in the first Sutta
2 Likes

Added example “live for”. This finds DN26 as the first result:

DN26:19.1: There will come a time, mendicants, when these people will have children who live for ten years.

I did consider “there will come a time”, but we already have a “there comes a time”

1 Like

Thanks for finding a way to point to the interesting DN 26!

1 Like

I am adding

• a heart full of love to one direction | eine Himmelsrichtung mit einem Herzen voller Liebe

This points to the metta meditation formula (followed by the other brahmaviharas, unless abbreviated) and has 29 results.

1 Like

Added:

• “with tongue pressed” this finds suttas describing over-exertion during meditation.
  • “the unsurpassable” this finds six suttas. I kept hearing this in DN34 and finally sat down to understand what it meant.
2 Likes

Hmm … I think this one is a little problematic. The actual phrase “with tongue pressed” doesn’t occur anywhere in the Suttas, and we only get a keyword search with results like “with teeth clenched and tongue pressed”. This may work in Voice, but not on EBT-Sites.

Good for English :pray:, unfortunately not working for German. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Oops. Thanks for catching that. I updated it to “tongue pressed”, which returns four suttas

“Unübertreffliches” finds 10 of your translations?

“unsurpassable” finds 18, but perhaps you haven’t translated some of these:

32.128  dn28
30.448  an6.30
4.5     an6.8
4.003   dn33
2.054   an1.170-187
2.009   mn35
2.002   dn34
1.143   an6.140
1.125   an6.24
1.091   an6.22
1.033   an6.23
1.031   an6.21
1.03    an10.22
1.026   an6.27
1.023   an6.28
1.022   an6.25
1.019   an6.29
1.016   an6.26
1 Like

Thank you, that’s great.

Well, for English with the entire canon translated there are 6, for German with only a quarter translated there are already 10. I had a few similar cases where it got overwhelming after a few more months of translating, so I am a bit careful. Will think about it again at a later point perhaps.

1 Like

OK. I wanted to highlight AN6.30, which you can do with “Unübertreffliche Dinge” (7 suttas)

1 Like

Ah, good to know. “unübertreffliche Dinge” at least finds Suttas that all have the word “unsurpassable” in the English text. For “unübertreffliches”, only 5 out of 10 results do have that.

Thanks for taking all this effort for German!

Added: I just had a look, and we have already “unübertreffliche Dinge” in our list! And we have “unsurpassable”, so with adding “the unsurpassable” that might be a bit redundant.

And … AN 6.30 is indeed worth highlighting!

1 Like

OK. I changed English to have “unsurpassable things” and that will match Deutsch.

1 Like