Generating examples for use in Voice and other applications with Georg’s script

I have added

• all conditions are impermanent | alle Bedingungen sind unbeständig (7 results)

It points to this funeral chant.

1 Like

Great example.

:thinking: I wonder what non-Buddhists will think of this as a funeral chant. Without understanding the Four Noble Truths, such a sutta might be quite depressing!

1 Like

Added:

• “apex” for the fruit of the brahmaviharas
  • “conditioned by which” for 2 suttas that point out that the pleasant and painful experience of deeds arises out of condtioning by ignorance. An alternate example might be “when conditioned”. Arbitrarily chose the first unless you like the second or have another suggestion.
1 Like

Added “die bedingen könnten”. :white_check_mark:

1 Like

I am amending “all conditions are impermanent” to “conditions are impermanent”. This is a little broader and returns 13 results. Now DN 16 is on the first place, and AN 3.136 on the second.

DN 16 is of course the Sutta on impermanence as it tells about the Buddha’s death. The most memorable verse is:

DN16:6.10.10-13
“Oh! Conditions are impermanent,
their nature is to rise and fall;
having arisen, they cease;
their stilling is true bliss.”

1 Like

:pray: That makes sense.

1 Like

Adding

• I teach inaction | ich lehre das Nicht-Tun (3 results)
1 Like

Hmm. A very memorable sutta is AN8.11, which provides a whole litany of wrongs aimed at the Buddha.

AN8.11:4.1: “Master Gotama is indelicate.”
AN8.11:5.1: “Master Gotama is a teacher of inaction.”
AN8.11:6.1: “Master Gotama is a teacher of annihilationism.”
AN8.11:7.1: “Master Gotama is disgusted.”
AN8.11:8.1: “Master Gotama is an exterminator.”
AN8.11:9.1: “Master Gotama is a mortifier.”
AN8.11:10.1: “Master Gotama is an abortionist.”

Because of this, may I suggest “Master Gotama is” instead?

AN8.11:20.2: “Master Gotama is the eldest! Master Gotama is the best!

1 Like

Well, but this does not point to AN8.12, which is the actual sutta I was aiming at (or both, AN8.11 and AN8.12). Both Suttas have similar lists, and some but not all of the items overlap. That’s why I chose “I teach inaction”.

1 Like

Indeed…

Well then, I replaced “bow to old brahmins” (which I never remember) with “this is not appropriate”. That should work with “I teach inaction”, which also picks up AN2.32-41. Both examples highlight different important things.

1 Like

I liked the old brahmins, and I think I will keep them for German for the time being. I won’t be able to remember what you chose, I am afraid.

Ah, I will definitely have to keep the old brahmins for German, as they are mentioned in a text I am about to draft for Dhammaregen! (Changing examples starts to have many implications …)

1 Like

Ah ok. It is indeed the phrase that made me perk up and listen. I’ve added it back to examples.

I like “this is not appropriate” because it also catches AN10.50. I’ve been studying “inappropriate to talk”, which I have found quite helpful, so I would also find “this is not appropriate” helpful in exploring what is rude for Buddhists.

1 Like

I might add it for German too when I come to translate AN 10.50. Right now I find it difficult to remember: was it “not appropriate”, or “not fitting”, or what was it? While “brahmins” to me are much more unambiguous.

1 Like

Adding

• charm the Buddha | den Buddha bezaubern

I need something to point to DN 21, the Sutta about Sakka wanting to ask questions from the Buddha and being a bit shy, so he sends the heavenly musician first to charm him with a song. The Sutta’s introductory story is so unusual that I find only singletons, and finally decided for this one.

1 Like

I like that.

I also added “what fetters bind the gods” for my own link to DN21. This sutta is very important because it explains why I don’t want to live in towns with lots of rich people. They give me headaches.

1 Like

Ah, also a good one. That DN 21 is full of singletons. I am adding “welche Fesseln binden Götter”.

1 Like

Still adding

• the heart’s release is not ripe | die Erlösung des Herzens nicht reif

pointing to the two Meghiya Suttas at AN 9.3 and Ud 4.1. When the heart’s release is not ripe, good friends are the first thing that helps to make it ripen, and this is naturally followed by more good qualities.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s a nice new example. I see that my own trail through “self-effacement” leads here as well.

1 Like

Adding to the “cow” series:

• cowherd | Kuhhirte (14 results)

Yes, nice Sutta, isn’t it? I am looking into Suttas for my “beginners” page on Dhammaregen. When referring to a Sutta on that page, I give the Sutta ID with the respective link, and also add a good example that helps find this Sutta. So people may get easily introduced to the idea of examples and what they are good for.

Excerpt from my draft:

1 Like

That’s a good example for beginners. It shows how the Sangha helps.

1 Like