Haiku: your pet peeve and other musings about Buddhism

I heard it like this –
Migasālā and wisdom
aren’t well-acquainted.

5 Likes

Thank you for taking interest in my haiku and thank you for your care and concern. :anjal: :slight_smile:

I was using a metaphor there. A Haiku is a poem and I think poems are in big part about metaphors. I see you are on good track in understanding that staring at the sun is not a great idea, which is exactly part of meaning of this passage. :slight_smile:

Ripples of craving symbolise every movement of the mind created by craving, that are in fact like ripples, echoing and disturbing peace of mind.

Staring at the sun is metaphor for craving itself. When we crave for sensuality, we chase for “beauty of the sun”, but by looking directly at it (which symbolise unwise approach), by creating craving in our minds, this is act of harm itself, hence “eyes burn” staring at the sun. Eyes here symbolise the mind itself, and partially vinnana. Being aware of craving is suffering itself, because craving is unpleasant, it is feeling of hunger by nature.

So in a way, in the haiku it is already seen wise perception, seeing craving not as a good thing, but as hurting oneself “staring at the sun”. It also symbolise that beings without wisdom are naturally blinded by craving, like people are blinded by staring at the sun, and getting hurt in the process of acting from ignorance. So I think it is perfect metaphor because staring at the sun symbolise both blindness of ignorance, and eventual suffering that comes from unwholesome mental act which is craving.

Then as should be in Haiku, 3rd verse comes that is breaking the poem into new direction. Sound of quenching flames symbolise insight or realisation of mind, it symbolise letting go of craving, which is opposite of first two verses that are about experiencing craving.

in 3rd verse “flames” symbolise craving, quenching - end of it, and sound - experience of this letting go. So it is experience of bliss of letting go of craving.

So very simply put:
Ripples of craving - there is craving in the mind
Eyes burn staring at the sun - the presence and nature of craving creates suffering and blindness in the mind by very nature of this act born of ignorance.
Sound of quenching flames - understanding this, and consequently bliss of letting go and disappearing of craving. :slight_smile:

Such is the intended meaning of my haikhu, but of course everyone can enjoy and/or benefit from their own interpretation. :sunny: :slight_smile:

Thanks for that Karl, it’s awesome! :slight_smile: :heart: :anjal:

5 Likes

That’s good. I liked the haiku all the same. One can never know what someone’s up to on the Internet. Sometimes very hardcore austerities slip into Buddhism, like holding a hand over a flame until it is a charred stump, which has been a historical practice in some time periods. Consider the Amitāyurdhyānasūtra:

The Buddha said to Vaidehi, “You and all sentient beings should single-mindedly concentrate your thoughts with one-pointed attention, on the Western Quarter. How is this to be done? All the multitudes of sentient beings who are not born blind and have the sense of sight have seen the setting sun. Focusing your attention and sitting in the proper posture, you should face the west. Contemplatively examine the sun, with your mind firmly fixed upon it. Firmly concentrate upon the setting sun and do not let your sight wander from it. It should appear like a (red) drum suspended above the horizon. Once the sun is visualized in this way, then whether the eyes are shut or open, it can be clearly seen. This is the image of the sun and is called the First Visualization.”

(Amitāyurdhyānasūtra T365)

Some Buddhist austerities are so severe they will absolutely have health consequences. Anyone who performs the above meditation long enough will eventually go blind. It is an exercise in non-attachment, but also arguably an exercise in self-mutilation. There is a difference between going bind naturally and voluntarily, one could argue.

Anyways, it’s good that you’re not staring at the sun. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I heard it like this –
from Vatsagotra, all men:
“Will I really die?”

5 Likes

Yes indeed you will.
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.
Yes indeed. Yes yes.

5 Likes

Well maybe you will
Unless you reach the deathless
Oh awakened one

6 Likes

CO2. Fires blaze.
Koala curls up. Burns. Dies.
Cruel world. Why? Why?!?

The Silent Sage said:
“Compassion for all beings.”
Deaf ears heard his words.

Fools’ unrestrained greed
Is destroying Blue Marble
Koalas suffer.

10 Likes

Like rubidium,
the bodhipakṣa dharmas
are thirty-seven.

5 Likes

Eighty-four thousand
gates lead to the Gateless Gate.
It has no gate. Woah.
:mindblown:

9 Likes

The weight of Wisdom
In four heavy Nikayas
Way too hard to hold!!!

Wont someone please publish them all in paperback
:wink:

9 Likes

Thanissaro Bhikkhu’s Handfull of Leaves translation was printed in paperback and can be requested for free here (except the Majjhima Nikaya which is currently out of stock)

6 Likes

Oh Raspberry Pi
One day, offline Voice may play
Nikayas at hand

10 Likes

The sun was beheld.
Sixteen moments deeper still
it was the same sun.

7 Likes

Occult builder, seen
Rafters and roof-tree, destroyed
Quenched! … Oh, Morning star

3 Likes

Seagulls arguing,
Soothing crash of waves on beach,
A moment extends.

8 Likes

D&D crashes.
Musiko rescues us.
Thank you Musiko.

[@musiko :smiley: ]

12 Likes

New Age or no-West:
Between two deluded extremes
Dhamma can be found.

Extremes of ill will,
greed, delusions, fill the clouds.
Internet dukkha.

Grids impermanent.
Social media, also.
Samsara’s currents.

So - sit. think. sit. think.
read a sutta, hear a talk.
And contemplate death.

Remember Buddha.
Calm. Still. Renounce a craving.
What might happen then?

8 Likes

Just sharing some reflective verses from my meditation. I hope they are not in a wrong format.
20200411 Easter Dhamma Reflections - by DM (1) - cr

1 Like

Dana, this post (#23) explains what a haiku is. If it doesn’t make sense feel free to ask questions and I’m sure one of our regulars will be able to answer them. :smiley:

(Click on the upward arrow at top right to see the rest of the explanation.)

2 Likes

Haiku! Hard to write
unrhyming terse art of verse
Happy accident

If deep meaning hides
syllables five, seven, five
That is a haiku

5 Likes