Help entering Pāḷi Idioms into DPD

In partnership with the DPD team, another Pāḷi student and I have begun transferring the contents of Anuruddha’s Dictionary of Pāḷi Idioms into a digital spreadsheet with the goal of incorporating this knowledge into their exceptional dictionary platform.

This initiative offers a great opportunity for Pāḷi students and translators to contribute to a valuable project. We are open to volunteers who are willing to provide their time and careful attention, no technical expertise needed. If you are interested, drop me a direct message, and we will initiate the process.

9 Likes

Sadhu sadhu!

I’m assuming this is text entry/transcription work? Unfortunately I’m way too error prone for this kind of merit, but I’m sure there will be other who have the right skills.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly. Although the PDF document was converted into Word, it remains an entry/transcription work, indeed.

2 Likes

There should be an easier way than keying in everything or correcting a lot of buggy OCR, if that is what it involves?

1 Like

I wished, and I am open to suggestions.

It does yes, as our copy is a pdf document made of photographs of the book. If someone has a copy of paper book and willing to make a professional scan of it, this would be more than welcome. Unless there are other options I am not aware of?

1 Like

Although, I must say, it’s not as tedious a job as it might seem; I actually find it quite mindful and educational.

6 Likes

Looks like it is in copyright, has someone checked with the authors?

That is something DPD team should be able to answer. As a volunteer typist myself, this isn’t something I haven’t been in charge of, and I trust that they addressed this question.

If you have concerns I believe you may reach out to Ven. Bodhirasa.

1 Like

A warm thank you to all who responded. :pray: We are now 9 working on this, it seems.

3 Likes