Help needed - theravada monks trapped in Ukraine

Off topic: I had the privilege of knowing (and indeed, attending the ordination of) Bhante Ratanasila at Na Uyana, many years ago. If possible, please convey to him love and well wishes from Yogananda, an old friend.

10 Likes

Thanks so much for the update! I hope they are both safe!

9 Likes

Thank you so much for helping them. (And for all the work at Sasana.pl).

I have had a brief converstion with Bhante Ratanasila, but that was a few days ago. I know things are getting worse there.

I hope a quick solution is found for the Venerables, and all of Ukraine.

7 Likes

Thanks for the official photos, made it easy to create graphics. A little update for Americans who want an easier way to donate, we’ve set up a lil venmo system:

3 Likes

Well maybe you can talk to:

• Russian embassy
  • Ukrainian embassy

Appeal to both parties involved in the conflict to give safe passage.

It is said above there are 4 monks in Ukraine. But this thread is only about 2 monks. Does any one know if the other 2 are also safe?

2 Likes

Do these monks still need help?

2 Likes

Hi @Nik,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

1 Like

We haven’t heard anything for ages. The last I heard, the problem was resolved. Some monks had left, others had chosen to stay. But someone else might have more recent information.

1 Like

This kind of situation i quite good to prove how far one have comprehended and internalized the teachings. For what I have just read, the monks are aware of their duties and the repercusion of their attitudes towards the current war Ukraine is suffering.
Very admirable Bhante Ratanasila’s decision.

Hi @Ariel,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

1 Like

thank you for the reply!
Hopefully, it went well for them…

In any event, if they still need help, I’d be happy to do what I can so I’ll be following this thread for updates.

1 Like

A bit of update about what has happened with the Ukrainian Sangha in the last few months, here is a short story, in a few short sentences, and since the picture is worth more than a thousand words, there are some photos :slight_smile:

It all started right after the outbreak of the war, when we got involved in trying to save Ukrainian monks. If you don’t remember, you can rewind the topic. We did not manage to help the monks, because even today Ukrainian men of recruitable age are not allowed to cross the border. The monks, on the other hand, asked us to help a Ukrainian nun ordained in the Pa Auk monastery, Sayaley Uttamavamsa. Her passport was getting expired and she was unable to renew it outside of Ukraine, so she had to return to a safe place to be able to arrange official matters. The idea of her coming to Poland seemed right and rational. We agreed immediately and bought her a ticket to our country so that she could wait in peace for a new document. For two months she lived in the place of Anagarika Khantipala, but after some time the nun decided that her visa to Burma might end before she managed to get things done while in Poland, so she decided to go to Ukraine. Fortunately, during the period she was there, nothing happened to her. She got the new passport, came back to us safe and sound and from Warsaw, a few days ago she left for Thailand, to return to her monastery after a few days’ journey. In the photos you can see her in Burma, but also from the ordination of a novices that took place in Poland, and during several other events, and, of course, a lot happened. Since it was supposed to be a short story, let the pictures speak for themselves. In conclusion, we managed, we helped comprehensively Sayaley Uttamavamsa, who now spends the rest of the rainy season in the Pa Auk monastery and who is grateful to all Poles who helped her. We also thank her for this visit - may all beings be safe, free from harm, may they be peaceful, equanimous and liberated!

20 Likes