Is the Thai Tipitaka available in roman script?

Greetings @Etsuko and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
If you have any questions or we can be of any assistance just ask or tag @ moderators (no space), or send us a PM

We look forward to your participation :slight_smile: :dharmawheel: :sunflower:

1 Like

At the Dhamma Society flickr account.

And also this album, which appears to be a second set of images of the same edition, Chulachomklao of Siam Tipitaka 1893:

The following notes are of interest. It seems this edition was innovative in both using printing presses and Thai script. I haven’t found any information on their methods or sources though. But the preface is quite long, so perhaps it goes into more details.

This royal preface was printed in 1893 stating the wish of King Chulalongkorn Chulachomklao to preserve and propagate the teaching of the Buddha in the Pāḷi Tipiṭaka for posterity.

Note the type-face in the print was “Siamese script” or Siam script because of its characteristic of the diacritical marks of that period. Also note the Siam’s Coat of Arms. …

In 1893, King Chulalongkorn Chulalongkorn of Siam revolutionised the traditional Buddhist depository convention --the King published the Tipiṭaka in Book-form for the first time. In stead of inscribing the sacred Pāḷi texts by hand in old Khmer script, the King ordered a new edition, totaling 39 volumes, to be printed in modern-typeface of the Siam script.

With the efficiency of printing technology of the day, such as, Western printing machinery and local book-binding in Bangkok, these newly edited sets of Siam-script Tipiṭaka were sent as royal gifts to 260 institutes across five continents in 1896.

4 Likes

Indeed it seems the 84000 is the Thai, but they have footnotes for some (but not all) of the variants: Ma for the Burmese, Po for the Sinhalese, and Yu for … PTS?

Their “download the tripitaka” link takes one to Download พระไตรปิฏก which may be their source?

1 Like

I downloaded their iPhone app and saw this in the side bar:

The gray highlighted line is the “1995 Siam Rath Pāli” Tripitaka and the one below is the “1927 Siam Rath Pāli” The others are various Thai translations and the bottom is the “Roman Script” which my above investigation suggested is from the Burmese

1 Like

Okay, so it seems there is a digitized text of the Siam Rath edition. Probably this is a 1927 printed edition revised in 1995?

1 Like

It’s the second Royal Siamese edition of 1995.

3 Likes

Might anyone know what the Red Elephant edition of the Siamese Tipitaka refer to?

2 Likes

It’s a nickname for the Royal Siamese edition of 1927, on account of its cover.

6 Likes

Excellent.

• MCU text via Dhammanando (source: Royal Siamese edition of 1995)
  • https://etipitaka.com/ Thai version (source?)
  • DPR?
  • 84000 (source edition?)

Ooh, checking the e-tipitaka site, it says:

มีพระไตรปิฎกทั้ง ฉบับหลวง มหามกุฏฯ และ มหาจุฬาฯ
There are both versions of the Tipitaka, the Royal Mahamakut edition and Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya.

These refer to the two translated texts. But it also has the Pali of the Siam Rath edition. So I’m guessing that this is the same as the edition supplied by Ven Dhammanando, the 1995 Siam Rath, which again I am guessing is a digitization of the 1927 Siam Rath. Which however leaves unexplained why the 1927 and 1995 editions are listed as separate entities on the iOS app. (I can’t get e-tipitaka working on Android or Linux, so can only see the website.)

Checking the Romanized Pali text on 84000, it is not the same as the PTS edition or the VRI edition. There is a mistake near the beginning of the Veranjakanda, on the second occurrence it has bhikkhusaṅghena saddhiṃ pañcamattehi, omitting the following bhikkhusatehi. The same omission is in the Thai edition, so the Roman must be generated from that.

So, this confirms what others have said above, we have one Romanized version of the Thai tipitaka. This is called “Pali Roman” on the 84000 site, and is produced from the edition called there the “Pali edition in Thai characters”.

Now, checking e-tipitaka, the “Royal Edition” has the same error (สทฺธึ ปญฺจมตฺเตหิ ตํ โข ปน). And Ven Dhammanando’s Romanized text also has the same error.

Putting this all together, I think the situation is as follows. Please may the venerables more learned than me correct me!

There is one digitized edition of the Pali canon in Pali from Thailand. This edition is known as the Siam Rath ( สยามรัฐ) edition, and is also sometimes called the Royal Edition. It was digitized in 1995 by the monks from Mahachula University, based on the 1927 Siam Rath edition. It has been converted to Roman characters and is available as such from http://www.84000.org/ and Ven Dhammanando’s files posted above.

2 Likes

I feel difficult to follow this topic which variation is mentioned…
For reference, here is a table of various scripts by Dhamma Society in Thai.

It is indeed confusing!

In the chart to which you link, the Chulachomklao edition is the one I linked above, where you can see the scanned images.

Syāmaraṭṭhassa Tepiṭakaṃ of 1995 is, I believe, the basis for the digitized editions that I have discussed above (Siam Rath). So far, I haven’t seen evidence that other editions have been digitized.

1 Like

I’m not so sure. They are clearly two different texts in the app (though both have the telltale error you mention):

If there’s anything in particular you’d like me to look up let me know.

2 Likes

Much obliged, Bhante.

1 Like
  1. Possibly, on 1988 by Mahidol University (Welcome to the BUDSIR) transcript from 1888, or 1925-1927 Thai Tipitaka (Pāḷi) version.
  2. The original online version of this roman script is dead link. The 84000 website take over the roman script which extracted from BUDSIR cd version.
  3. You can see the detail in the provided link (1).
  4. There is no resources detail that where Mahidol University get from(?)
3 Likes

Bhante, in the footnotes of the suttas, what do the abbreviations sī, yu,po,ka stand for ?

They identify the sources of the variant readings.

cha = Chaṭṭhasaṅgīti (Burmese Sixth Council)
ma = Maramma (other Burmese)
ka = Kambūjā (Cambodian)
po = Porāṇa (miscellaneous SE Asian palm-leaf MSS)
rā = Rāmañña (Mon)
syā = Syāmaraṭṭha (Thai)
sī = Sīhaḷa (Ceylonese)
yu = Yuropa (PTS romanised)

11 Likes

Dear Bhante,
Please help with kaṃ. pī. What they stand for, sir?
Thank you in advance.

kam stands for Cambodian, pī stands for the Pali Text Society, which are two different editions of the Pali Tipiṭaka. The info is available here.

2 Likes

Hi Mithieu,

Welcome to the D&D forum! We hope you enjoy the various resources, FAQs, and previous threads. You can use the search function for topics and keywords you are interested in. Forum guidelines are here: Forum Guidelines. May some of these resources be of assistance along the path.

If you have any questions or need further clarification regarding anything, feel free to contact the moderators by including @moderators in your post or a PM.

Regards,
suaimhneas (on behalf of the moderators)

1 Like

Please correct me if I am wrong, bhante, but it seems that this seemingly refers to, to add some details for the record: “Mahamakut Buddhist Foundation (1995). Syāmraṭṭhassa Tepiṭakaṃ. Mahamakuta-Raja-Vidyalaya Press. Bangkok.”