Is there a nice "literary" map of early Buddhism?

Jonas, a couple more changes if you don’t mind! I have added these to the original image, so they are in addition to the last set of changes.

Add Kāliṅga

On the east coast, as it mentioned a few times in the suttas. It’s basically east of Assaka.

You’ve made the hills go down to the sea on this prominence, but on Google maps the hills are somewhat inland, allowing room for the settlement on the coast. I’ve erased these.

Add Ukkalā

This is where the famed merchants came from who fed the Buddha his first meal. Also the mysterious ascetics “Vassa and Bhañña”. The Pali texts don’t make it clear whether the spelling should be Ukkala or Ukkalā, but the dictionary of proper names has Ukkalā, as does Bhikkhu Bodhi, so that’s good enough for me. @brahmali, you currently have Ukkala, just sayin’.

change Vamsa to Vaccha

The clan/region is known in Pali as Vamsa, Vaccha, or Vanga.

• Vaṅga is the mainstream reading in the Mahasangiti edition, but it can be ruled out, as it is the name of a separate kingdom that is not mentioned in the Pali canon, east of Anga. I think Vanga is vi + anga, “divided Anga”, i.e. portion of Anga split off to the east. It is modern Bangla. It is unlikely that this is what is meant here, because the names are loosely in geographical order from the east (following the sun), and it’s in the wrong spot. Probably in the time of the suttas Vanga was not considered a separate kingdom.
  • Vamsa could be correct, it means “lineage” and can be compared to the Ñātikas, “the family”. But the mainstream Sanskrit term appears to be Vatsa.

This would be Vaccha in Pali; it means “calf”. (If that seems odd, Maccha means “fish”, so. Unless it’s Majja, Majjha, or Macca, all of which are attested variants).

3 Likes