Japanese translations of Jātaka on the Internet

Hello All,
First of all, thank you very much for generously providing such a great site free of charge to all of us.
I just found Japanese translations of Jātaka (38, 57, 208 and 308) on the Internet.
リーディング - パーリ語の文章を読むページ (down the page, you will see baka-Jātaka, Vānarin­da-­jātaka, Susumāra-jātaka, Javasakkuṇa-jātaka.

The site administrators say that anyone can freely link their pages. I wondered if SuttaCentral team would like to have a look to consider the pages be included in the Sutta Central.

On their website, people can choose “translation exercise” pages or “translation only” pages for each listed Jataka stories.

E.g. Jātaka 38
Exercise page 1 (by clicking ALL DISP, people can see Vocab. list, Japanese translation and comments) The page includes translations of commentaries.
http://www.manduuka.net/pali/jataka/j0381.htm
It continues to page 6.
If you would like to see next page, click NEXT button in the hyperlink, or change the number to 0382 in the URL.

I cannot read Pali but am capable of handling Japanese and English. If I can help you in any way, please let me know.

Thank you.
With metta,
Kaz

1 Like

Thanks so much, Kaz. Could you tell me, does the licence for the text allow it to be copied?

We no longer add links to external sites.

Thank you Kaz.
Would you also be able to help us with the following?
The website: http://komyojikyozo.web.fc2.com/top.html has translations of the Majjhima and Digha Nikaya. But we need to have permission to use the materials first. Would you be able to ask the translator if we could use these texts on SuttaCentral? I can give you an email address if it is not on the site.

Dear venerable Bhante Sujato and Samaneri Vimala,

I am not familiar to these discussion websites, so I made mistakes by replying to emails. I apologise for that. And I also apologise for not using right titles for you in the email.

Regarding to the licence, he does not say whether the contents can be used in other sites.
There is a Contact page within the site, so I will ask him if he accepts the SuttaCentral use his materials under SuttaCentral URL (e.g. suttacentral.net/jp/ja38).

I will also ask the same question to the author of the other site ( komyojikyozo.web.fc2.com).
By the way, I see his pages are already linked to corresponding suttas in Digha and Majjhima Nikaya in SuttaCentral, so I thought you had the permission.

I will report the results back in here.
With metta,
Kaz

There are indeed external links to these pages on our website, but we do not have the texts themselves on our website, which is ultimately what we would like. I have sent you the email address in a private message.

Thank you very much for your help in this!

I have received a response from the translator of the website that venerable Ayya Vimala mentioned on this page.

He prefers status quo, that is, hyperlinks are used on the SuttaCentral website.

He emphasized that he is NOT concerned with copyright issues, rather, it would be his pleasure if his work were useful. However, he is concerned with the accuracy of his translation and problems that may occur because of that. He cannot take responsibility for such problems.

He says he is not a professionally trained Pali translator, and he thinks there are many mistakes in the translations. He feels the quality of his translations is not high enough for publication outside his own website.
He plans to translate Saṃyutta Nikāya in the future, and he is happy the translation to be hyperlinked by SuttaCentral.

He seems to feel uncomfortable that his translation is taken as if an official translation. I think he is just humble about the quality of his translations. However I understand his concern.

I thanked him for his prompt and polite reply, and said to him that I would pass on his message to the SuttaCentral. I also encouraged him to contact me if he changes his mind.

Please let me know if there is something that I can do for you further on this matter.

I am still waiting for the reply from the translator of the other site.

Thank you very much.
With metta,
Kaz

1 Like

Thank you very much for your efforts. We will have to respect the translator’s wishes and not use the materials on SC. Of course we will keep the hyperlinks.
Looking forward to hearing from the other translator.

Dear venerable Ayya Vimala,

Regarding the website by the Japanese jodo-shinshu monk who translated MN and DN, he seemed to have completed the translation of the whole MN
I can see SC hyperlinked his pages up to MN 110. I just wondered if SC would like hyperlink his new pages to the rest of MN pages.
In the previous email, you wrote Japanese, so you probably don’t need my help, but please let me know if I can help in any way.
With metta,
Kaz

1 Like

Dear Kaz,

I only copied the japanese text that I received from somebody else earlier so no, I don’t read or write Japanese.
I will have a look at the links and update them where needed. If I need help I will let you know.
With metta,
Ayya Vimala

I have updated the files and the links for MN 111-152 should be visible in a few days.

3 Likes

Thank you very much, venerable Ayya Vimala.
With metta,
Kaz

1 Like

Thanks to Kaz I have added the external links for the Japanese translations of the following texts to SC:
Milindapañha, Paññattipañha mil3.1.1: ƒ~ƒŠƒ“ƒ_‰¤‚Ì–â‚¢(Ž©ŒÈ‚Í‚È‚¢-1/4) - ƒp[ƒŠŒêƒŠ[ƒfƒBƒ“ƒO

Jātaka:
ja38: Âë‚Ì–{¶•¨Œê(1/6) - ƒp[ƒŠŒêƒŠ[ƒfƒBƒ“ƒO
ja57: ‰Ž‰¤‚Ì–{¶•¨Œê(1/3) - ƒp[ƒŠŒêƒŠ[ƒfƒBƒ“ƒO
ja208: ƒƒj–{¶•¨Œê(1/3) - ƒp[ƒŠŒêƒŠ[ƒfƒBƒ“ƒO
ja308: ‚·‚΂µ‚±‚¢’¹‚Ì–{¶•¨Œê(1/2) - ƒp[ƒŠŒêƒŠ[ƒfƒBƒ“ƒO

:anjal:

2 Likes