Keep making us happy: tell us about mistakes and typos!

Yes, and these two passages are subtly different. I’ve adjusted the translation to more precisely reflect the variant texts.

It’s not easy to not make unclear.

The difference is deliberate. In BB’s version, the monks behave badly and the Buddha is not satisfied. Which seems superfluous; the point, rather, is that he is not upset by what happened. It’s down to a variant in the manuscripts, which must be old, since it is found in the commentary. However acc. to Analayo, the Chinese has the more sensible negative form here, as does the MS edition on which I rely, so I follow that.

We’re in the process of adjusting how these are handled.

Must be a bug in FF, it works fine on Chrome.

No, that’s correct.

Indeed. I’ll put this on the to-do.

Turn off highlighting.

use “at”.

Fun fact, sanantana is related to “senile”.

Change to “eternal truth”.

Fixed

These verses have a subtle variation in the voice. sn8.8 has carasi “you wander” where thag21.1 has carati “he wanders”. The confusion is probably because most of the verbs in this passage allow a reading as either second or third person. However, the preceding passage is definitely second person, and it seems reasonable to assume that Vangisa is continuing to address the Buddha directly. I’ll render both passages in second person.

However, the phrase “see him!” must be in third person. Here I imagine Vangisa is turning to the monks to exhort them. The aorist three lines down (akkhāsi “explained”) can be either second or third person, but I assume that, since this is a new verse, Vangisa has turned back to address the Buddha.

thanks, fixed.

This is caused by missing translation of heading, I think I have updated all these cases now.

It’s odd that the Pali is different in each case. But anyway, I think this is a mistake: it is pp of vibhajati, and in the context of teachings it should have the normal sense of “analyzed”. BB has “resorted to” which I can’t explain. Norman has “things shared out”, without comment.

The commentaries evidently take it in this sense, explaining as “among the things (or teaching) that are blameable or blameless, I have attained the best of them, i.e. Nibbana”.

This seems reasonable, since it always occurs in the context of arahantship.

Of the well-explained teachings,
I arrived at the best.

5 Likes