Keep making us happy: tell us about mistakes and typos!

Snp2.5:4.3: Atha kho sūcilomo yakkho bhagavantaṁ gāthāya ajjhabhāsi:
Then Spiky said to the Buddha,

Should be “addressed the Buddha in verse”.

SN10.9:1.3: Atha kho sukkāya bhikkhuniyā abhippasanno yakkho rājagahe rathikāya rathikaṁ siṅghāṭakena siṅghāṭakaṁ upasaṅkamitvā tāyaṁ velāyaṁ imā gāthāyo abhāsi:
Then a native spirit was so devoted to Sukkā that he went street to street and square to square, and on that occasion recited these verses:

Should be “he went from street to street and square to square”.

Punctuation - “At Sāvatthī At that time several mendicants were making a robe for the Buddha, thinking that when his robe was finished and the three months of the rains residence had passed the Buddha would set out wandering. Now at that time the…”

https://suttacentral.net/sn55.6/en/sujato?layout=plain&reference=none&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin

Firstly thank you very much for writing the nikaya guides, they are really enjoyable to read :pray:

It seems that there is a slight typo in the AN guide

I believe that we an indeed discern traces of these meanings in the Aṅguttara, and offer some examples below.

should this be the following?

I believe that we can indeed discern traces of these meanings in the Aṅguttara, and offer some examples below.

3 Likes

SN11.1:7.2: koci kvaci na jīvati;
who can can live happily without working,

One “can” is enough.

SN11.1:7.1: ‘Sace atthi akammena,
‘If there exists anyone anywhere
SN11.1:7.2: koci kvaci na jīvati;
who can can live happily without working,
SN11.1:7.3: Nibbānassa hi so maggo,
that surely would be extinguishment’s path!
SN11.1:7.4: suvīra tattha gacchāhi;
Go there, Suvīra,
SN11.1:7.5: Mañca tattheva pāpayā’ti.
and take me with you!’

SN11.2:7.1: ‘Sace atthi akammena,
‘If there exists anywhere a place
SN11.2:7.2: koci kvaci na jīvati;
where you can live happily without working,
SN11.2:7.3: Nibbānassa hi so maggo,
that surely would be extinguishment’s path!
SN11.2:7.4: susīma tattha gacchāhi;
Susīma, go to that place
SN11.2:7.5: Mañca tattheva pāpayā’ti.
and take me with you!’

Except for the names, the verses are identical in Pali, but not in English.

Blurb to SN 11.2:

When Sakka, the Lord of Gods, tries to organize a conterattack against the demons, he is frustrated by his lazy general Susīma. Sakka asks Suvīra how one might get what one wants without effort; but Suvīra apparently believes Sakka can grant any wish he wants. The Buddha emphasizes that if effort is valuable among the gods, how much more so for mendicants.

The general’s name has only been replaced in the first instance; two Suvīras left.

asurapura is translated as “citadel of the demons” (AN 9.39), “demon city” (sn56.41), or “castle of demons” (SN 11.4). And perhaps others I haven’t yet come across.

Should be 4th, not 4rd.

2 Likes

SN 1.1:1.2
ekaṁ samayaṁ bhagavā sāvatthiyaṁ viharati jetavane anāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme.
At one time the Buddha was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s Monastery.

This is so far the only case I saw where in the phrase “Anāthapiṇḍika’s Monastery” the word Monastery starts with a capital.

Oh well, three are more: SN 1.11, SN 1.31, SN 1.32, SN 1.34, SN 1.35, SN 1.36, SN 1.41, Ud 1.10:4.2.

SN11.21:1.2: Atha kho sakko devānamindo yena bhagavā tenupasaṅkami; upasaṅkamitvā bhagavantaṁ abhivādetvā ekamantaṁ aṭṭhāsi.
And then Sakka, lord of gods, went up to the Buddha, bowed, stood to one side,
SN11.21:1.3: Ekamantaṁ ṭhito kho sakko devānamindo bhagavantaṁ gāthāya ajjhabhāsi:
and said to him:

Should be: “and addressed him in verse”.

SN11.25:2.1: ‘Mā vo kodho ajjhabhavi,
“Don’t let anger be your master,

Should be single quote marks.