Make a rainbow fall at our feet 🌈 tell us about our mistakes, typos, and other oversights

AN8.20:1.5: Uddisatu, bhante, bhagavā bhikkhūnaṁ pātimokkhan”ti.
Please, sir, may the Buddha recite the monastic code to the mendicants.”

In AN 8.20 it should probably be “monks” throughout; except for further down, where the mendicants are said to love the teaching and training because of eight incredible things that they see.

Also in Ud 5.5.

Acchariyaṁ vata bho (or bhante or āvuso), abbhutaṁ vata bho, tathāgatassa mahiddhikatā mahānubhāvatā is usually translated “Oh, how incredible, how amazing! The Realized One has such psychic power and might!”. Except for DN 14:1.13.2 and MN 123:2.2, where it is “It’s incredible, reverends, it’s amazing, the power and might of a Realized One!”.

Perhaps the āvuso escaped the change.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve changed both of these. In ud 5.5 and an8.20 as you suggest use “monks” for the narrative and “mendicants” for the “eight things”.

1 Like

Almost :laughing:

DN14:1.13.2: “acchariyaṁ, āvuso, abbhutaṁ, āvuso, tathāgatassa mahiddhikatā mahānubhāvatā.
“It’s incredible, sir, it’s amazing! The Realized One has such psychic power and might!

It’s āvuso here, not bhante.

Very well. I’ve started a year or two of travel and am quite happy at Tilorien monastery where I will be until the end of July. I’ll get my first taste of Asia (Thailand and Korea) after Vassa.

Thanks for looking into the consistency in naming of the Patimokkha rules.

In the Ontology I have the option for multiple names and perhaps the user can then select which naming system or systems to use. It would be good within each language though for the names to be consistent.

|lzh-mi-bi-pm-pc106|Giving sikkhamānā to maiden under 18 |
|lzh-mi-bi-pm-pc107|Giving sikkhamānā to maiden under 18 without Sangha’s agreement |

Oh! I see. Thanks. My error. It is because it is the last rule in each list where it appears and I did a shortcut parsing method of trimming the last two characters (“, ) of each item in the list “rulename1”, “rulename2”, … rulenameN”. Since it is the last in any list it would be “Covering over with Grass” with no following comma and (s") got trimmed. I’ll fix it in my lists.

Yes. One of them doesn’t have a space after the name. BUT, I see that again is due to the parsing error I made above. lzh-mi-bi-pm-sk100 is the last rule in its list so I trimmed a space from the end. This is great because I don’t visually see all the extra spaces in all the other names and now I will make sure I trim all of them before entry into the Ontology.

Making Fire Like Non-Buddhist Ritual

Interesting, I don’t think there’s an explicit prohibition against the agnihotra in Pali.

It is only in one Patimokkha at: lzh-mi-bi-pm-pc188. 若比丘尼作外道事。火法然火。波逸提。 and I don’t know that we have access to a translation of the associated Vibhanga yet. I haven’t yet cross referenced much into the Khandakas from the various schools, but don’t recall any such prohibition in the Paḷi Text Khandakas.

Until all the Chinese is translated all I can do is work with the metadata you or others have designated.

Thanks for looking into consistency in the naming. If possible, please let me know when I should fetch the latest from git-hub and re-parse the JSON files. I know it may take awhile and I will use what I have for now.

Much appreciated,
Ayya NIyyānika

1 Like

Comment DN 14:1.32.27:

Screenshot from 2023-06-25 16-22-00

Remove closing parenthesis after Sutta reference “DN 30:2.7.4”.

Comment DN 14:2.18.2:

At sn12.14–10 this same reflection is attributed to each of the seven past Buddhas, kicking off an investigation into dependent origination in reverse order, starting with the outcome: suffering. Here this is treated as a meditative contemplation, whereas the next sutta, dn15 Mahānidānasutta, delves into the philosophical implications.

I believe it is SN 12.4-10, not SN 12.14-10.

I saw AN 3:15 in another thread on learning Pali.
Is there a reason why Sacetano as seen in the Devanagari script ( सचेतनो ) is translated as Pacetana in English, throughout the text? I am asking about S vs. P switch.

It doesn’t have anything to do with Devanagri (I think). If you change it to Roman it’s the same. This is a variant:

Thank you for the explanation! It feels weird though reading English and any other script side-by-side and seeing this difference. :grin:.
:pray:t5:

I agree. It’s not uncommon though with names. I think Bhante tends to go with the Sinhala manuscript form since it is more well known to English readers. Perhaps the most stark example is the English title of MN26.

Thanks, I’ve fixed these comment errors.

Indeed, and it therefore harmonizes with both Ven Bodhi as well as most resources such as Dict of Proper Names.

Now, in this case there is more to it. Check the Sanskrit senses of pracet:

https://sanskritdictionary.com/?iencoding=iast&q=pracet&lang=sans&action=Search

The meanings include several names of princes, ancient sages, etc., having the sense “wise, mindful”. But most interesting, pracetṛ is the name of a charioteer, and appears to be a misreading of pravetṛ, “charioteer”.

Since it is the story of a chariot maker, it is very likely this was the original reading. Through misreading or dialectical variant it became pacetana, which the Burmese “corrected” to the more familiar sacetana.

In such cases, if there is a good reason to adopt a particular reading I will do so, even if it contradicts BB, DPPN, etc. In this case, happily, there is no need.

3 Likes

Should be good to go. Please let me know if there are any remaining issues.

Thank you.

For your consideration:

I’ve begun getting the files and integrating the results. There are some rules without names where “” appears in the name field. That’s OK for parsing and I just leave it without a name at this time. Do you want a list of these?

Where I ran into a glitch in parsing was where a rule was left out in the middle and not at the end of the list. So, OK that there are no names for adhikaraṇasamatha in some of the name lists (ex: lzh-dg-bi-pm-as1… 7 ) and I will just add the obvious names in the Ontology.

but odd to see:

“lzh-dg-bu-pm-name:246.lzh-dg-bu-pm-sk96”: "Holding a Staff ",
“lzh-dg-bu-pm-name:247.lzh-dg-bu-pm-sk97”: “”,
“lzh-dg-bu-pm-name:248.lzh-dg-bu-pm-sk99”: "Holding a Knife ",
“lzh-dg-bu-pm-name:249.lzh-dg-bu-pm-sk100”: "Holding a Sunshade ",

where sk98 is missing from the JSON file all together.

I’ve only done 4 of the 13 files I’m currently interested in thus far.

Please post any weirdnesses you find and I’ll take a look at them. If you can identify the correct titles that are missing that would be even better!

RuleCurrent TitleTextLinguae-Dharmae TranslationSuggested Working Title
lzh-dg-bi-pm-sk52is blank不得與反抄衣不恭敬人說法,除病,應當學。"One should not teach the Dharma to those who wear their robes inside out and do not show respect, except in cases of illness. This should be learned and observed."Inside Out
lzh-dg-bi-pm-as1MISSING 應與現前毘尼,當與現前毘尼。Resolution Face to Face
lzh-dg-bi-pm-as2MISSINGResolution Through Recollection
lzh-dg-bi-pm-as3MISSINGResolution Because of Past Insanity
lzh-dg-bi-pm-as4MISSINGAdmission
lzh-dg-bi-pm-as5MISSINGFurther Penalty
lzh-dg-bi-pm-as6MISSINGMajority Decision
lzh-dg-bi-pm-as7MISSINGCovering With Grass
lzh-dg-bu-pm-2-sk52is blankInside Out
lzh-dg-bu-pm-2-sk97is blank人持劍。不應為說法。除病應當學。People with swords should not be preached to. One should learn to cure diseases.Holding a Sword
lzh-dg-bu-pm-2-sk98MISSING人持鉾。不應為說法。除病應當學。A person holding a weapon should not be preaching. Except for the sick, one should learn.Holding a Weapon
lzh-dg-bu-pm-sk52is blankInside Out
lzh-dg-bu-pm-sk97is blank「人持劍,不應為說法,除病,應當學。"One should not preach to a person holding a sword, except to cure illness, this should be learned."Holding a Sword
lzh-dg-bu-pm-sk98MISSING人持鉾。不應為說法。除病應當學。One should not preach to a person holding a weapon, except to cure illness, this should be learned.Holding a Weapon

What’s the subtle difference between “conceiving” and “conceit”?

SN 35.248:3.1 has “conceiving” (maññita), segment 7.1 of the same Sutta has “conceit” (mānagata).

I wonder if for the repetion serieses you would consider putting something in the “Tell in full” instructions that indicated what was actually different. I’m thinking in particular for when the text is consumed outside of the SC website context. Even on the site itself it’s not obvious what is to be done.

Buddhānasāsana (sometimes spelled as one word, sometimes as two) is sometimes translated “instruction of the Buddha” (Singular), sometimes “instructions of the Buddha” (Plural).

I suspect KD15 has a typo:
“On the other had…” was likely intended to be “on the other hand…”

Bhante Sujato’s translation of AN9.34: “In the same way, should perceptions accompanied by placing of the mind and keeping it connected beset them due to loss of focus.” Unless the translation is based on a parallel I don’t know, vicāra isn’t mentioned, only vitakka (evamevassa te vitakkasahagatā saññāmanasikārā samudācaranti.)

In Sujato’s MN75, it uses both “suppose there was” and “suppose there were” (breaking parallelism). It should be just “were” (followed by sentences using “would”), which is the conditional mood, unless it’s in the past tense, which it didn’t look like it was supposed to be.