Make a rainbow fall at our feet šŸŒˆ tell us about our mistakes, typos, and other oversights

Perhaps this is for @HongDa?

1 Like

Sorry for the inconvenience, since the new UI is waiting for an update, the link to the publication has not yet been updated to the production server, but I expect an update will be pushed tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, and the link will be back to normal by then. :pray:

2 Likes

example: https://suttacentral.net/da30/en/null ā† notice that the da texts are not pointing to Pattons translation from the SuttaPlex. even editing the URL doesnā€™t help. It goes to the Taishō text.

Thanks for your feedback Ven. @Niyyanika ,

The reason for this problem is that the full name of the author in the html text does not match the full name of the author in the configuration file. I have fixed this problem and will fix it after the data is pushed.

1 Like

I have pushed to data to server, this problem has been fixed :pray:

5 Likes

The verse

Akkodhassa kuto kodho,
dantassa samajīvino;
SammadaƱƱā vimuttassa,
upasantassa tādino.

has been translated differently in SN 7.2 and Thag 6.12.

Lakuį¹‡įøakabhaddiya is usually translated ā€œBhaddiya the Dwarfā€, but in his own Theragatha, Thag 7.2, he is ā€œLakuį¹‡į¹­aka Bhaddiyaā€.

Slight variation:

AN1.293

ā€œIt is impossible, mendicants, it cannot happen that someone who has engaged in good bodily conduct could, for that reason alone, when their body breaks up, after death, be reborn in a place of loss, the underworld, a lower realm, hell.

AN1.312

ā€œMendicants, I do not see a single thing that causes sentient beings to be reborn, when their body breaks up, after death, in a place of loss, a bad place, the underworld, hell like wrong view.

1 Like

The new UI has been released and the problem has been resolved :pray:

3 Likes

In AN 5.72 segment 1.5 ends in a comma, and the following segment starts with a capital. So the latter should probably start with a lower case.

Some minor typos in the Udāna translation

Introductory essay

1. ā€œwhich was an early school of Buddhism based in northeast India, especially Kashmir. ā€

northwest India.

1. ā€œeven one shunned by society as he was for his leprosy main attain the Dhamma;ā€

may attain

Ud 1.8

ā€œNow at that time around Venerable Saį¹…gāmaji had arrived at SāvatthÄ« to see the Buddha.ā€

at around that time

Ud 2.8

ā€œPlease, Moggallāna, go to the that lay followerā€

go to that

Ud 3.7

ā€œWe too ought make merit.ā€

ought to make

Ud 5.3

ā€œimmaculate vision of the Dhamma in Suppabuddhaā€

arose in Suppabuddha

2 Likes

mayamettha yamāmase is translated ā€œthat we need restraint in thisā€ in Thag 4.3 and Thag 8.1, and ā€œthat here we need to be restrainedā€ in Dhp 6 and MN 128.

Comment to MN 28:7.1:

This is in reference to the belief that the earth rests upon water, and the water is disturbed it shakes the earth (an8.70:14.3, dn16:3.13.3). Thus this is a reference to calamity by earthquake rather than flood. Apparently it was believed that an extreme earthquake could shake apart the whole earth.

It seems an ā€œifā€ is lacking: ā€œand if the water is disturbed ā€¦ā€.

The comment to MN 128:8.1 says:

the introductory narrative is shared with mn28, to which the reader is referred for details.

• Firstly: Sentence should start with capital.
  • Secondly: Itā€™s not MN 28, but MN 31.

A note seems to have crept into the body of this sutta somehow?

SÄ«tavana is translated ā€œCool Groveā€, but in some Thag verses it is left untranslated; see Thag 1.6, Thag 10.2.

2 Likes

SN35.115:4.4: ayaį¹ vuccati, bhikkhave, bhikkhu mutto manoviƱƱeyyehi dhammehi, nāvāsagato mārassa, na mārassa vasaį¹ gato, ummukkassa mārapāso.
theyā€™re called a mendicant not trapped in Māraā€™s lair, not fallen under Māraā€™s sway, and released from Māraā€™s snare.

mutto manoviƱƱeyyehi dhammehi is lacking in translation, ā€œfreed when it comes to ideas known by the mindā€.

When it is about the sense fields, ā€œthoughtā€ has generally been changed to ā€œideaā€. Only in SN 35.28:1.11 some thoughts have been forgotten ā€¦ :thought_balloon: :thought_balloon:

Also in SN 35.145:1.7.

ā€œSmoke out pestsā€ has been changed to ā€œspread smokeā€, except for MN 33:21.1.

In AN 3.130:1.3 the ā€œentire galaxyā€ has been changed to ā€œthousandfold galaxyā€, but in segment 2.2 itā€™s still ā€œentireā€.

Generally the city of Magadha is not spelled with a long ā at the end, except for Thag 12.2:3.4, were it is Magadhā.

Thag16.2:2.1: Kimānupubbaį¹ puriso,
ā€œFollowing what procedure,
Thag16.2:2.2: kiį¹ vataį¹ kiį¹ samācāraį¹;
what observance, what conduct,
Thag16.2:2.3: Attano kiccakārīssa,
may I do what I need to do for myself,
Thag16.2:2.4: na ca kaƱci viheį¹­haye.
without harming anyone else?

It seems the word puriso has not been translated.

If I analyze this correctly (and here, as an aside, a big THANK YOU goes to the Pali study group who is discussing its lessons in public on this forum, giving those who couldnā€™t commit to the course the chance to benefit nevertheless!!! :pray:) the verse should be something like this:

Following what procedure,
what observance, what conduct,
may a person do what they need to do for themselves,
without harming anyone else?

Suggestions for Bhante @Sujatoā€™s translations. I apologize if some of them are repetitions. I donā€™t always remember whether I commented on something, or whether I just thought it was a good idea to do so, but then never didā€¦

• DN1, DN24: ā€˜Aho vata aƱƱepi sattā itthattaį¹ āgaccheyyunā€™ti. ā€œOh, if only another being would come to this state of existence.ā€ Sattā is plural. ā†’ ā€œOh, if only other beingSā€ (occurs twice)
  • DN1, DN24: Atha aƱƱepi sattā āyukkhayā vā puƱƱakkhayā vā ābhassarakāyā cavitvā brahmavimānaį¹ upapajjanti tassa sattassa sahabyataį¹. ā€œThen other sentient beings [ā€¦] are reborn in that empty mansion of Brahmā in company with that being.ā€ ā†’ remove ā€˜emptyā€™. Itā€™s no longer empty because Brahma is already there.
  • SN12.17: ā€˜Tena hi bhavaį¹ gotamo dukkhaį¹ na jānāti, na passatÄ«ā€™ti. ā€œThen Master Gotama doesnā€™t know nor see suffering.ā€ This is not a statement but a question, as seen later: ā€˜Tena hi bhavaį¹ gotamo dukkhaį¹ na jānāti na passatÄ«ā€™ti iti puį¹­į¹­ho ā€¦ ā†’ ā€œThen does Master Gotama not know and see suffering?"
  • SN1.20, Pahāsi sankhaį¹ na vimānamajjhagā, Acchecchi taį¹‡haį¹ idha nāmarÅ«pe; ā€œAssessment is given up, conceit rejected; craving for name and form is cut off right here.ā€ The verbs are all aorist, so ā†’ ā€œAssessment was given up, conceit rejected; craving for name and form was cut off right here.ā€ The idea is that they stopped craving here in this world/life (idha) and therefore after death canā€™t be found in any realm. This is obscured if using the present tense. See Snp2.12 where the same pada on nāmarÅ«pa is spoken about Vangisaā€™s deceased preceptor, where you do use the past tense.
  • Iti49: Ye bhÅ«taį¹ bhÅ«tato disvā, bhÅ«tassa ca atikkamaį¹, ā€œThose who see what has come be to as having come to be, transcending what has come to beā€. Ye is plural, but atikkamaį¹ is singular, so these can not refer to the same. Hence atikkamaį¹ is an acc. noun here, not a pres.p. attribute to ye. The word ca indicates they see two things. ā†’ ā€œThose who see what has come be to as having come to be, and [see] the transcending of what has come to beā€.
  • AN6.93: ā€œA person accomplished in view canā€™t take conditions to be permanent, happiness, or self.ā€ The view of self applies to dhammas, not sankhāras. ā†’ ā€œA person accomplished in view canā€™t take conditions to be permanent, conditions to be happiness, or anything/principles(?) to be self.ā€ (Also, it is hard to follow what the six things of the AN6 are when the list is compacted. Iā€™d prefer it to be written out in full.)
  • SN35.146: Why kamma as ā€œactionā€ which elsewhere is ā€œdeedsā€, in title and throughout the discourse?
  • SN35.118 and elsewhere: tannissitaį¹ hoti viƱƱāį¹‡aį¹ tadupādānaį¹, ā€œconsciousness relies on that and grasps it.ā€ Here tadupādānaį¹ is a bahubbihi, i.e. ā€œconsciousness with that as upādānaā€. I think this only makes sense if translated as ā€˜fuelā€™ instead of verb ā€˜graspingā€™. Cf. SN12.57, tadāhāro tadupādāno, ā€œFueled and sustained in this wayā€. ā†’ ā€œconsciousness relies on that and has that as fuelā€
  • SN22.3: RÅ«padhāturāgavinibandhaƱca pana viƱƱāį¹‡aį¹ ā€¦ ā€œOne whose consciousness is shackled to greed for the form elementā€ ā†’ ā€œshackled by greedā€
  • Snp3.12: avijjāyeva sā gati ā€œdestined only for ignoranceā€. More logical with avijjāya as abl. of cause ā†’ "that destination is only due to ignorance.
  • AN4.195:Idhassa, vappa, kāyena saį¹vuto vācāya saį¹vuto manasā saį¹vuto avijjāvirāgā vijjuppādā. Passasi no tvaį¹, vappa, taį¹ į¹­hānaį¹ yatonidānaį¹ purisaį¹ dukkhavedaniyā āsavā assaveyyuį¹ abhisamparāyanā€ti? ā€œVappa, take a person who is restrained in body, speech, and mind. When ignorance fades away and knowledge arises, do you see any reason why defilements giving rise to painful feelings would defile that person in the next life?ā€ This sounds like Vappaā€™s [ā€œyouā€] ignorance has faded away, but thatā€™s not the point. Follow the PTS punctuation. ā†’ ā€œVappa, take a person who is restrained in body, speech, and mind because (abl of cause) their ignorance faded away and knowledge has arisen. Do you see any reason why ā€¦"
  • MN2, yātrā ca me bhavissati anavajjatā ca phāsuvihāro ca. ā€œand I will live blamelessly and at easeā€. yātrā missing. notice there are three caā€™s. ā†’ ā€œand I will have health(?) and live blamelessly and at easeā€
  • SN15.5: ā€œAnd as each century passed someone would stroke it [once, sakiį¹ƒ] with a fine cloth from KāsÄ«.ā€
  • SN22.54: Nitpicky, but the title is ā€œA Seedā€ while it describes five kinds of ā†’ seedS.
  • Iti43: sukho as ā€˜blissā€™ in "the stilling of conditions, blissā€, but since the noun sukha is neuter, here it is an adjective, i.e. ā†’ ā€œblissfulā€. That does give a different feel to it, imo, and itā€™s less easily misunderstood: the cessation of sankharas is blissful, rather than a state/feeling of bliss.
  • SN6.15 & DN16 the same in tesaį¹ vÅ«pasamo sukho: ā€œtheir stilling is true blissā€ ā†’ ā€œtheir stilling is blissfulā€.

More speculative/suggestive:

• SN4.23: ā€œGodhika, who came from a good family, slit his wrists.ā€ Why the detail? CY. says he cut his neck.
  • Throughout: sakkāya, ā€œidentityā€. I agree with Bodhi on sakkāya that ā€œMy past attempts, as ā€˜personalityā€™ and ā€˜identity,ā€™ are inadequate.ā€ (note 315 to Suttanipata) In many passages it means something more concrete than ā€˜identityā€™, something like ā€˜personal existenceā€™, as Bodhi translates in the Anguttara (ā€˜personal entityā€™ in the Snp). I use ā€˜individual existenceā€™.
  • DN3: ā€œSo King Okkāka aimed (patiį¹­į¹­hapesi) the arrow at the crown prince. And he was safe and untouched.ā€ No surprise he was safe, if the king just aimed! Patiį¹­į¹­hapesi, lit. ā€˜made [it] establishā€™, must mean he actually shot and hit. But still the boy was unharmed, which was the magic. Cf. appatiį¹­į¹­hite in SN20.6 for a fired arrow that doesnā€™t land.
2 Likes

Misnumbering in Theravada Bhikkhu Patimokkha Translation

2 Likes

The translation for gandhabba has generally been changed from ā€œfairyā€ to ā€œcentaurā€. But in SN 31, some fairies have survived in the chapter and Sutta titles, while in the texts themselves, they have all become centaurs.

In the respective blurbs, too, there are still fairies.

:fairy: :horse:

1 Like

uparipabbate thullaphusitake is mostly translated ā€œwhen it rains heavily on a mountain topā€; only at AN 10.61:4.1 itā€™s ā€œwhen the rain pours down on a mountain topā€.

In any case, thereā€™s a lot of water! :cloud_with_rain: :cloud_with_rain: :cloud_with_rain: :smile:

As the SC search feature gets better and better, I just want to say that I appreciate the effort to standardize the translations. If people are going to be doing English searches, it will be a big help to have things translated in the same way. Of course for searching by Pali is best practice, but lots of folks wonā€™t be able to do that.

2 Likes

Thag16.3:2.1: ā€˜Ko so pāraį¹…gato loke,
ā€œWho has crossed over the world?

versus

AN5.55:10.3 (and elsewhere): Te ve pāraį¹…gatā loke,
They are those in the world whoā€™ve crossed over,

The relation between pāraį¹…gata and loke should actually be the same in both cases, except that the former is singular and the second plural. Why are they translated differently?

SN21.11:1.7: ā€œEso kho, bhikkhave, bhikkhu mahiddhiko mahānubhāvo.
ā€œThat mendicant is very mighty and powerful. Itā€™s not easy to find an attainment that he has not already attained.
SN21.11:1.8: Na ca sā samāpatti sulabharūpā yā tena bhikkhunā asamāpannapubbā.

Pali is in two segments, translation in only one of them.

Similarly in SN 21.12.