Margaret Cone's A Dictionary of Pali, Vol. 4

Margaret Cone’s first three volumes of A Dictionary of Pali have been available for some time, the third volume having been published in 2020.

However, the fourth volume (m-h) still hasn’t been published. I’m having difficulty finding information about the fourth volume, or even information about Margaret Cone herself.

Does anyone have any information about the fourth volume? Is Margaret Cone still working on it, or has she sadly passed away (I believe she is in her mid-90’s)? Any information about the progress or a projected publication date?

1 Like

Hi @samseva

when you are going on Facebook “Pali Text Society”, they announced on the 05th of May 2020 the 4th edition. I hope this helps :grinning:

Hi @Alex70
Thanks for the mention of PTS’s Facebook page. I just checked, however, the announcement was for vol. 3. I sent them a message, and might hear back from them.

2 Likes

Crikey! I really need new eyes, sorry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Or from mindless Facebook scrolling—simply being on Facebook can do that to anyone. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

It was many years between the publication of volumes 2 and 3… give them some time! Last I heard, Prof Cone was still alive and working on it… let’s pray she finishes soon! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Bhante,

Yes, for sure. Was simply asking for basic information, particularly about Dr. Cone, if there was a projected publication date, and so on.

1 Like

I believe there is not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Bhante,

Is this based on contact with Dr. Cone/PTS, or the team behind the dictionary? Or is mostly an educated guess?

Current projects in Pāli Studies, which are supported by the Pali Text Society:

(1) The fourth and last volume of the Dictionary of Pāli is being prepared by Dr Martin Straube.

palitext.com/subpages/proj.htm

7 Likes

There’s some fun stuff on that page! Thanks, I had never seen it before.

4 Likes

I got a response from the Pali Text Society:

The 4th volume of the Dictionary of Pali is being prepared by Dr Martin Straube, as Dr Cone has retired from Pali Studies. Unfortunately we do not have a firm publication date, but seeing that it took Dr Cone approx. 10 years for each volume I’m afraid it will be quite some time before the 4th volume is ready to be published.

With best wishes,
K. Wendland

According to PTS, Dr. Margaret Cone has retired from her Pāḷi studies—and therefore won’t be working on the last volume of her dictionary. :frowning:

Rather, as described in the message above, the project of the 4th volume has been taken up by Dr. Martin Straube.

From the PTS “Current Projects” page:

Dr Martin Straube
Research Fellow in Pali Lexicography
Philipps-Universität Marburg
Marburg, Germany

Ven. @sujato/Ven. @Brahmali , would you have more details about Dr. Martin Straube?

4 Likes

@samseva

You can write him

martin.straube@uni-marburg.de

He is an associated scholar there. I couldn’t find anything else in German. This time I had my glasses on :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks. Mostly wondering what kind of reputation he has in the Pāḷi world. He likely is skilled—he is a Pāḷi lexicographer, after all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes