Meaning of the term tatratatrābhinandinī

Katamañcāvuso, dukkhasamudayaṃ ariyasaccaṃ? Yāyaṃ taṇhā ponobbhavikā nandīrāgasahagatā tatratatrābhinandinī, seyyathidaṃ—kāmataṇhā bhavataṇhā vibhavataṇhā, idaṃ vuccatāvuso: ‘dukkhasamudayaṃ ariyasaccaṃ’.

And what is the noble truth of the origin of suffering? It’s the craving that leads to future rebirth, mixed up with relishing and greed, looking for enjoyment in various different realms (?). That is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving to continue existence, and craving to end existence. This is called the noble truth of the origin of suffering (MN141). See also SN 56.11

tatratatrābhinandinī - looking for enjoyment in various different realms (Ven. Sujato). BJT sinhalese translation shares similar meaning. A. P Soyza translation is different.

tatratatrābhinandinī > tatra + tatra + abhinandinī

I think this is something like “rejoicing what ever the object (ārammana) they sense”.

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination (Ven. Bhikku Bodhi translation)

Here, the problem is seeking, do they really seeking or rejoice whatever they come up with?

Note: Translators doing a tough task. They are doing their best to give the best outcome. Hope I am not bothering them.

Your thoughts about the translation would be much appreciated Bhante, @sujato.

5 Likes

Yes, I think you’re right, it’s about delighting in any experience, flitting here and there.

The overall thrust of the passage is to speak of the delight in rebirth (Yāyaṃ taṇhā ponobbhavikā), which is why I translated it in this way. But in the extended analysis found in the Saccavibhanga and Mahasatipatthana Suttas, the emphasis is on delighting in any of the phenomena of experience. And the commentaries make it clear that it is the delight in phenomena that causes rebirth:

Mahavedalla commentary (I’m not sure of the translation here)

Tatrātatrābhinandanāti rūpābhinandanā saddābhinandanāti evaṃ tahiṃ tahiṃ abhinandanā, karaṇavacane cetaṃ paccattaṃ. Tatratatrābhinandanāya punabbhavābhinibbatti hotīti attho
“Delight here and there”: delight in sights and sounds, that is the delight there and here; this is a statement about individual causality (? I’m just guessing what karaṇavacana means). The meaning is: due to delighting here and there, there is further rebirth.

And the commentary to the Saccavibhanga of the Abhidhamma is:

Tatratatrābhinandinīti yatra yatra attabhāvo tatratatrābhinandinī, rūpādīsu vā ārammaṇesu tatratatrābhinandinī
“Delight here and there”: in whatever state a person is reborn, it delights here and there, delighting here and there in objects of sight, etc.

I’ll reconsider my translation.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind consideration Bhante!
:pray: :pray: :pray:

1 Like

As I read this, I am directly reminded of a long passage in DN33 that starts with:

DN33:3.1.97: Eight rebirths by giving.

I puzzled over this passage for months until I realized that all eight rebirths happen exactly because the donors were seeking, wishing and looking for enjoyment in the different realms.

3 Likes

More details about this:
The Buddha explains how one can make a wish to be reborn in different realms in Saṅkhārupapatti Sutta MN 120.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reference to MN120. I had not read it. Indeed, the following part of MN120 is omitted from DN33 and is crucially important for a complete understanding.
:pray: :pray: :pray:

Here is the missing piece.

MN120:37.1: Furthermore, take a mendicant who has faith, ethics, learning, generosity, and wisdom.
MN120:37.5: They think:
MN120:37.6: ‘If only I might realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life, and live having realized it with my own insight due to the ending of defilements.’
MN120:37.7: They realize the undefiled freedom of heart and freedom by wisdom in this very life. And they live having realized it with their own insight due to the ending of defilements.
MN120:37.8: And, mendicants, that mendicant is not reborn anywhere.”

2 Likes