Metta Instructions

Can someone point me to the Sutta where it gives specific instructions for Metta? For example, he pervades the first quarter with. Mind imbued with loving kindness (these are the words I remember reading).

3 Likes

ā€œAnd what is a path to companionship with Brahmā? Firstly, a monk meditates spreading a heart full of love to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of love to the whole worldā€”abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. When the heartā€™s release by love has been developed and cultivated like this, any limited deeds theyā€™ve done donā€™t remain or persist there. ā€¦
SuttaCentral

2 Likes

That phrase is also in AN 10.219:

This noble disciple, bhikkhus, who is thus devoid of longing, devoid of ill will, unconfused, clearly comprehending, ever mindful, dwells pervading one quarter with a mind imbued with loving-kindness, likewise the second quarter, the third quarter, and the fourth quarter. Thus above, below, across, and everywhere, and to all as to himself, he dwells pervading the entire world with a mind imbued with loving-kindness, vast, exalted, measureless, without enmity, without ill will. He understands thus: ā€˜Previously, my mind was limited and undeveloped, but now it is measureless and well developed. No measurable kamma remains or persists there.

1 Like
2 Likes