Metta + STED 4bv audio collaboration, need your help, yes YOU!

Metta + STED 4bv audio collaboration

My friends are going through some really rough times right now. I made a 10 minute mix tape of various metta chants in various languages. They play the chants to help them go to sleep, among other times throughout the day.

Then a brilliant idea occurred to me. Almost everyone has a cel phone with a recording app. If we all take 5 minutes to record the source text, we can build an awesome time capsule of metta chanted in every language, every age group, every region of the world eventually. So not just my friends on this occasion, but for as long as mp3 files work, people in need of a lift, an inspiration, and ray of hope, can have a massive mix tape of metta chanted for hours, with no repetition.

recording instructions

see followoing messages in thread for sample submissions

1. keep the recording anonymous, for the sake of protecting your civil liberties, privacy, from government and evil corporations from exploiting you with facial recognition, voice recognition, of samples of you already existing on the internet.

2. but if possible, please do include a little bit of anonymous personal info, maybe a small dedication to someone, so we can build a rich database of metta that spans the totality of human experience in suffering, compassion, understanding. authenticity,

3. Record and upload the source text on the next section. if youā€™re short on time, just take a few minutes and do the first (of four parts), metta. Weā€™re not looking for professional voice acting skills, perfect pronunciation, mistake free reading, etc. Just a genuine heartfelt expression of metta. As long as itā€™s authentic, it will be enormously valued by many now, later, for years to come.

donā€™t upload directly to sutta central, use something like internetarchive.org, or googledrive, drop box, microsoftg onedrive, and make it a public shareable link, then post the link in the message, along with any interesting and useful metadata, keep it anonymous.

1. feel feel to use any translation of the text, any language or languages, change the words to make it more meaningful and personal to you. Record as many versions as you like! the more the better. You donā€™t have to read the pali. Just read english, or whatever your native language. Since the mix tape will contain all be recordings of the same text, the novelty of listening to other languages will add to the richness of the experience.

2. Itā€™s as easy as leaving a voice mail on someoneā€™s phone. Just take a few minutes. Get your tech savvy grandkid to help with the upload and recording app if necessary. The karmic fruit of this small service will be compounded beyond measure!

Source texts

4 Brahma vihāra

(STED 4bv) Brahma vihāra

1. Mettā

mettā-sahagatena cetasā
(with) good-will-endowed mind,
ekaį¹ƒ disaį¹ƒ pharitvā
(in) one direction pervade,
viharati,
abide [like this].
tathā dutiyaį¹ƒ,
likewise (the) second [quarter],
tathā tatiyaį¹ƒ,
likewise (the) third [quarter],
tathā catutthaį¹ƒ;
likewise (the) fourth [quarter],
iti uddham-adho
Thus above,-below,
tiriyaį¹ƒ sabbadhi
across, everywhere,
Sabbat-tatāya
All-places,
sabbāvantaį¹ƒ lokaį¹ƒ
(to the) entire world
mettā-sahagatena cetasā
(with) good-will-endowed mind,
vipulena mahaggatena
vast, exalted,
appamāį¹‡ena a-verena
measureless, without-hostility,
abyāpajjena pharitvā
without ill will, pervade.
viharati,
abide [like this].

2. Karuį¹‡Ä

Karuį¹‡Ä-sahagatena cetasā
(with) compassion-endowed mind,
ekaį¹ƒ disaį¹ƒ pharitvā
viharati,
abide [like this].
tathā dutiyaį¹ƒ,
tathā tatiyaį¹ƒ,
tathā catutthaį¹ƒ;
iti uddham-adho
Thus above,-below,
tiriyaį¹ƒ sabbadhi
across, everywhere,
Sabbat-tatāya
All-places,
sabbāvantaį¹ƒ lokaį¹ƒ
(to the) entire world
Karuį¹‡Ä-sahagatena cetasā
(with) compassion-endowed mind,
vipulena mahaggatena
vast, exalted,
appamāį¹‡ena a-verena
abyāpajjena pharitvā
viharati,
abide [like this].

3. Muditā

muditā-sahagatena cetasā
(with) altruistic-joy-endowed mind,
ekaį¹ƒ disaį¹ƒ pharitvā
viharati,
abide [like this].
tathā dutiyaį¹ƒ,
tathā tatiyaį¹ƒ,
tathā catutthaį¹ƒ;
iti uddham-adho
Thus above,-below,
tiriyaį¹ƒ sabbadhi
across, everywhere,
Sabbat-tatāya
All-places,
sabbāvantaį¹ƒ lokaį¹ƒ
(to the) entire world
muditā-sahagatena cetasā
(with) altruistic-joy-endowed mind,
vipulena mahaggatena
vast, exalted,
appamāį¹‡ena a-verena
abyāpajjena pharitvā
viharati,
abide [like this].

4. Upekkhā

upekkhā-sahagatena cetasā
(with) equanimity-endowed mind,
ekaį¹ƒ disaį¹ƒ pharitvā
viharati,
abide [like this].
tathā dutiyaį¹ƒ,
tathā tatiyaį¹ƒ,
tathā catutthaį¹ƒ;
iti uddham-adho
Thus above,-below,
tiriyaį¹ƒ sabbadhi
across, everywhere,
Sabbat-tatāya
All-places,
sabbāvantaį¹ƒ lokaį¹ƒ
(to the) entire world
upekkhā-sahagatena cetasā
(with) equanimity-endowed mind,
vipulena mahaggatena
vast, exalted,
appamāį¹‡ena a-verena
abyāpajjena pharitvā
viharati,
abide [like this].

detail on key words in formula

a-byāpajjena, non-ill-will

This corresponds to the 2nd item of the 3 aspects of right resolve, samma samkappo.

mahag-gatena, exalted

according to MN 127, the space you pervade starts with the area the size of a tree root, and gradually expanding larger and larger.

appamāį¹‡ena, immmeasurable

according to MN 127, as compared to mahaggatena which is much smaller in scope, immeasurable is the 6 directional pervasion as specified in the STED 4bv, ā€œfirst direction he pervades, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, above, below...ā€

Sabbat-tatāya, all-places, not ā€œto all [beings] as oneselfā€

For now, I'm going with the opinions of Ven. Anālayo, Ven. Sujato, and Ven. Brahmali on this translation, which differs from B.Bodhi's "to all as oneself." But I'm not fully convinced, because some of the passages in the EBT, the 4bv formula (or a very close derivative) is explicitly applied to people.
Ven Thanissaro, in MN 97 goes with ā€œin its entiretyā€, so he seems to be in the 4bv not explicitly directed at people side of the discussion.
sabbatthatāya = sabba + -ttha + tā

Ven. Sujato 

from https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/does-anyone-know-the-difference-between-sabbatthataya-and-sabbattataya/2553/3 
This was discussed by Ven Brahmali elsewhere. The ending is dative/genitive feminine singular.
It has most commonly been read as:
sabbattatāya = sabba + attā + tā = all + self + -ness = ā€œto each as to oneselfā€
However from the context it is very likely to be:
sabbatthatāya = sabba + -ttha + tā = all + place + -ness = ā€œto everywhere, in every respectā€
Here "-ttha" is a secondary pronomial suffix, having the general meaning of "place".

Ven. Brahmali

from https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/should-monks-beware-of-living-with-novices/2257/3
Another word which may need a new translation (compared to that of Ven. Bodhi's) is sabbatt(h)atāya, found in the standard sutta description on how to practice the four brahmavihāras. Ven. Analayo has recently released a study of this word, in which he argues persuasively that it is a synonym for the words sabbadhi and sabbāvantam. (This, of course, would be natural since synonyms are often clustered in this way in the suttas.) In brief, he argues that the form sabbatthatāya is correct, not sabbattatāya, which is the form preferred by the commentaries and therefore the form which has influenced how the brahmavihāra practice is described in places like the Visuddhimagga.

Ven. Anālayo

compares pali, chinese agamas, and sanskrit fragmnent parallels that favor "everywhere" as the translation rather than commentarial "to all as oneself".
https://www.buddhismuskunde.uni-hamburg.de/pdf/5-personen/analayo/compassion.pdf
(about 30 page document, but probably half of that is just footnotes and references so it's actually a pretty quick read and well worth your while)

Bhikkhu Bodhi

has stuck with the translation of ā€œto all as oneselfā€ through MN, SN, AN, so I wonder if Ven. Anālayo has been able to convince his teacher?

B. Sujato English from AN 3.63 (draft edition)

ā€œItā€™s incredible, Master Gotama, itā€™s amazing! Who but Master Gotama could get such a high and luxurious bed of the gods when he wants, without trouble or difficulty?

But what, Master Gotama, is the high and luxurious bed of Brahmā?ā€ ā€œBrahmin, when I am living supported by a village or town, I robe up in the morning and, taking my bowl and robe, enter the town or village for alms. After the meal, on my return from alms-round, I enter a wood. I gather up some grass or leaves into a pile, and sit down cross-legged, with my body straight, and establish mindfulness right there. I meditate spreading a heart full of love to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, I spread a heart full of love to the whole worldā€”abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. I meditate spreading a heart full of compassion to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, I spread a heart full of compassion to the whole worldā€”abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. I meditate spreading a heart full of rejoicing to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, I spread a heart full of rejoicing to the whole worldā€”abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. I meditate spreading a heart full of equanimity to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, I spread a heart full of equanimity to the whole worldā€”abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will. When Iā€™m practicing like this, if I walk meditation, at that time I walk like Brahmā. ā€¦ I stand like Brahmā. ā€¦ ā€¦ I sit like Brahmā ā€¦ When Iā€™m practicing like this, if I lie down, at that time I lie down like Brahmā. This is the high and luxurious bed of Brahmā that I get these days when I want, without trouble or difficulty.ā€

ā€œItā€™s incredible, Master Gotama, itā€™s amazing! Who but Master Gotama could get such a high and luxurious bed of Brahmā when he wants, without trouble or difficulty?