Monastery Travel Pictures

Hi Friends,

I hope you’re well. I’ve been home for a few weeks now and I thought it might be nice to share some pictures of my monastery-hopping travels taken over the past four months. I’ll try not to post too many because I know the Discourse server has its limits.

Anyhoo, if you have your own favorite monastery pictures from your travels, please share them!

Amaravati Buddhist Monastery, England (June 23-July 27, 2017) - I didn’t take many pictures at Amaravati because it was my third visit.

IMG_3458

From Karunasom, the women’s dorm.

IMG_6267

Walking through some wheat (?) fields on a footpath near the monastery. Looking down onto Great Gaddesden.

The neighborhood alpacas, Mara and Sukhita, respectively. (Yes, I did name them).

Milntuim Hermitage, Scotland (July 28-August 11, 2017)

IMG_3479

IMG_3505

Looking out into the lower part of the glen where the town of Comrie rests.

IMG_3480

The ruins of the old mill. (Milntuim means something like ‘place of the mill’ in Gaelic.)

IMG_3481

The main hermitage building.

IMG_3496

Up into the glen.

IMG_3503

Some cows.

Sati Saraniya Hermitage, Ontario, Canada (August 18-October 27, 2017)

IMG_3537

Early changing leaves.

IMG_3563

The main building of the hermitage.

IMG_3578

My friend the groundhog.

IMG_3636

An actual monarch butterfly perched on Ayya Medhanandi’s glasses.

IMG_3687

Almsgiving ceremony (hey look, actual people!); they can’t have a ‘Kathina’ because they don’t have enough bhikkhunis.

IMG_3753

Caught snacking.

IMG_3840

An actual boat that is being turned into a kuti.

IMG_3853

The monastic community; left to right, Ayya Nimmala, Sister Anuruddha, and Ayya Medhanandi.

IMG_3904

IMG_3919

The woods.

IMG_3948

A kuti at dusk during a thunderstorm.

Bonus Picture:

IMG_0668

At Sati Saraniya there is a monastic korwat practice of sitting (or crouching down) whenever one is eating or drinking anything. While I am not a monastic, I would periodically undertake this practice by sitting right down wherever I was standing in the kitchen – some people found it amusing. :sweat_smile:

45 Likes

MARVELLOUS! Thank you so much. :slight_smile:

Are those the ones you sang to?

5 Likes

You’re welcome! :blush:

:joy: Probably!

6 Likes

Fabulous photos @Brenna! I love the scenes and stories they’ve captured, and the photos themselves are actually really beautiful! You’re a great photographer! Looks like it was a fantastic time full of adventure and wonder! Thanks for sharing the beauty and inspiration!!! :heart_eyes: :pray:

7 Likes

That is one cool kuti boat!

7 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing, Brenna.

5 Likes

Bhanthe, do you think this will down the servers? :grinning:

Nice one @Brenna! I went into the thread looking for buildings, but saw some nice scenery alongside it! Loved the thunderstorm pic!

with metta

6 Likes

Lovely, smile inducing photos Brenna :smiley:

4 Likes

My favourite one! Thank you so much for sharing! :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I love the boat kuti and they’re all beautiful. Those woods at Sati :heart_eyes:

Maybe I will take my camera to Newbury and have something to share. The photos I have from Santi and Dhammasara are terrible because I only had my phone.

6 Likes

Here are some pics from my monastery-hopping tour in 2016:

https://www.samita.eu/en/2016/11/20/a-monastic-year-in-australia/

Enjoy! :smiley: :heart:

8 Likes

Thanks so much for your kind words, everyone!

Can you tell that I’m somewhat opposed to taking pictures of buildings?

Please do!

Aww man, Anagārikā Sabbamitta, you’re making me want to visit Australia even more :sweat_smile:! But really, what spectacular pictures, thank you so much for sharing. :pray:

5 Likes

It is nice to see smiling humans in these pictures, as a foundation for mudita, etc. I can sometimes feel a strong resentment on account of chronic illnesses preventing such a choice in my own case.

:confounded:

Very evocative imagery, for those inclined to stormy introversion… but I am delighted at the fact that this exists for sincere folk.

10 Likes

These were taken last October during my stay at Abhayagiri! No doubt things look much different after the fires.

20 Likes

So many great photos, but I love the boat/kuti! Very cool.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m going to attempt this, but I have too many photos :cry:
I resized and some are poor quality, I apologize!

You inspired me to look back on mine Brenna, so here goes!..
rsz_img_0797
View of gompa at Tibetan Buddhist monastery near Pokhara, Nepal (Himalayas in the bg!)

rsz_img_1290
Teaching English to some cheeky monk(ey)s!

rsz_img_1582
Tea fields and valley from Nilambe Meditation Centre, Sri Lanka

rsz_img_1620
Meeting all the dogs was important (Ella, Sri Lanka)

rsz_img_1776
Spot the Kuti! Rockhill Hermitage, Sri Lanka

rsz_img_2522
Just before sunrise on the Ganges

rsz_img_2589
View from Thai Monastery, towards mountain caves, Rajgir

rsz_img_2557
View from Wat Lao Towards Bodhgaya, Bihar, India (Giant Buddha on horizon!)

rsz_img_2598
Thai forest walking path

rsz_img_2650
Ajahn Ganhah’s Mega Monastery, Khao Yai

rsz_ff5f495c-9b64-47fb-8f62-f5047b268cee_zpstm7yx073
View from sala, Wat Khun Pang, Nth Thailand

rsz_a92e3f36-97fa-42af-98ea-eac17da2e38b_zpshpbmoh5f
Amongst the redwoods, Aranya Bodhi Hermitage, California

rsz_4dcfc0dc-99ea-4158-af2a-d7f165fe6fc4_zps1x5k5i2r
Caravan Kuti, Dhammasara nunnery, Perth

rsz_f3f32923-a44b-4a92-bcaf-ede31e36756d_zpsoo2u8ysy
Respects for Arahant Theris, Songdhammakalyani

rsz_6cd48853-f0cc-4ff6-982b-eb59ca981c13_zpsxxivwgy7
Nirotharam at sunrise

rsz_b2ed116d-633f-4348-8f47-53382220e975_zpsuxbjhwzm
Dhammapiti monastery, Ipoh, Malaysia

rsz_3630fda4-7855-43e0-9522-75e1c62cacae_zpszelxttmw
Inside Dhammapiti (built into the rock - so cool!)

23 Likes

Wow, nice photos! You’ve been around to many places.

With metta

7 Likes

I saved this one; put a tree at your back, and it’s an early monastery. Good times!

11 Likes

The first 10 precept Nun ordination at Chithurst. Sisters Rocana, Sundara, Candasiri and Thanissara

19 Likes

The little bridge in the 7th picture is mostly burnt (or a similar one). There were also a few wooden stairs that burnt. However, apart from that, there were no other damages.

It is very strange, but from the accounts of the firefighters that fought the fires around Abhayagiri, every single time the fire approached the monastery, it would then turn around.

Ajahn Jotipālo’s account from talking with firefighters:

I asked the crew from New Mexico how it was fighting the fire. They had been on the property for about 5 days. They said it was the weirdest thing, like the monastery refused to burn.They said one evening (probably the day Timothy Luke was forced to leave Mt. Tabor, when he reported seeing 200 foot tall flames on the ridge) that 10 battalions (20 to a battalion) were out on the loop trail fighting the fires coming down from the ridge. They reported that the fires got down to the loop trail but the fire wouldn’t cross the trail. They said it was like the monastery refused to burn, and none of them could explain it. They reported their hair standing on it’s end and then the fire reversed itself and went back up the mountain. Everybody was kind of freaked-out, as they had never seen anything like this. I asked several of the other crews about their experience and they all reported about this.

A few updates from Abhayagiri (pages 1 and 2).

9 Likes