My top 3 most effective mantras

1. “none of your business” → to shut down proliferation and to stay away from pointless pursues

2. “one day at a time” → abandon bad habits, make some good habits and stick with it

3. “am I breathing?” → back to the breath, establish mindfulness of the body from the moment you awake to the moment you have unconsciously slept

4 Likes

1 Like

“Life is uncertain, death is certain.”

4 Likes

Are we practicing Dhamma or are we practicing samsara

3 Likes

Mā puññānaṃ bhāyittha.
“Be ye not fearful of merit.”
Iti22

Sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya.
“All dhammas are not to be settled down into.”
MN37

6 Likes

Bud-dho (stop unnecessary thinking, return to the breath as often and long as possible)

2 Likes

This is…

1. Annica
  2. Dukkha
  3. Anatta

All problems can be dealt with reflection on one or more of the above :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

This is my mantra for daily activities, coming from AN 4.115 Ṭhānasutta:

Is it really worth it?

2 Likes

Death is not a disaster , continuous birth is the real disaster .

Spirituality is not about becoming something , it is about ending the becoming .

Nothing in life is a problem but everything is .

1 Like

atthi kayo’ti

“there is body”

1 Like

“I will die; that’s for sure”. (Ajahn Brahm)

4 Likes

Guide to salutary resolves:

" 13. "Cunda, I say that even the arising of a thought concerned with salutary things [and ideas][19] is of great importance, not to speak of bodily acts and words conforming [to such thought].[20] Therefore, Cunda:

• (1) The thought should be produced: ‘Others will be harmful; we shall not be harmful here.’
  • (2) The thought should be produced: ‘Others will kill living beings; we shall abstain from killing living beings here.’
  • (3)-(43)…
  • (44) The thought should be produced: 'Others will misapprehend according to their individual views, hold on to them tenaciously and not easily discard them; we shall not misapprehend according to individual views nor hold on to them tenaciously, but shall discard them with ease."—Majhima Nikaya 8
1 Like

“I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy”.

By “bottle” I mean mindful awareness helping to loosen attachments and calm the mind.

3 Likes

This isn’t a mantra but it’s hilarious
Tsem rinpoche mad at his practitioners
‘Dharma, dharma, dharma, day in and day out. Dharma study, dharma class, dharma books. For hours on end and you can’t keep one precept “

1 Like

Good one. Why not. In my native tongue I like half-jokingly recollecting these phrases at times. I found them to be both pithy, rhythmic, vowel-y, and similar enough to various Sanskrit syllables that people stereotypically think of when they say ‘mantra’. This is what happens when the mind is let loose during a retreat. :smiley:

1. (Long) Nüüd, siin, on nii (Translation: now, here, it’s like this; literally: now, here, is thus)
  2. (Medium) Nii on (Translation: it is like this; literally: thus is)
  3. (Mini v1) On (Translation: is; joke along the lines of “Om”)
  4. (Mini v2) Nii (Translation: like this, thus, such; also: ok!, steady!)
2 Likes

Two i recently like because they remind me to take ownership of where i place my awareness.

• “Watch the mind”
  • “Would i not rather abide in peace?”
1 Like

I heard something that has stuck to my attention for a while, and I think its interesting to let it sink further.

I was here

I felt something

Perhaps I was not alone

1 Like

This actually a very good reminder to ourself. Often we do evil acts in private thinking that we have privacy. But this is not the case. There is no privacy for an evil doer

And now, since I’ve now gone forth, I might have sensual, malicious, or cruel thoughts. But the population of the world is large, and there are ascetics and brahmins who have psychic power—they’re clairvoyant, and can read the minds of others. They see far without being seen, even by those close; and they understand the minds of others. They would know me:

“Look at this gentleman; he’s gone forth out of faith from the lay life to homelessness, but he’s living mixed up with bad, unskillful qualities.” And there are deities, too, who have psychic power—they’re clairvoyant, and can read the minds of others. They see far without being seen, even by those close; and they understand the minds of others. They would know me:

“Look at this gentleman; he’s gone forth out of faith from the lay life to homelessness, but he’s living mixed up with bad, unskillful qualities.”’

There’s no privacy in the world,
for someone who does bad deeds.
You’ll know for yourself,
whether you’ve lied or told the truth.

AN 3.40

3 Likes

“Sights, sounds, sensations”.

A quick way of resetting mindfulness, and returning to the present moment.

2 Likes