Myanmar canon translations (with link)

I came across these translations done in Myanmar by the Department for Promotion and Propagation of the Sāsanā by a group of various translators. I’ve never seen them mentioned so I thought I might share their existence here since it seems only a few thousand copies have been published. They seem to have started in 1992 but stopped in 2012 before completing. If anyone knows of further volumes please let me know!

http://www.kbrl.gov.mm/catalog/Index/6?page=1

I cannot vouch for their quality yet as I have only perused their contents. While there seem to be common grammatical errors, there is consistent and proper usage of pāḷi terminology such as bhagavā, atta, nibbāna, kamma, and so on, which is a feature I quite like. It is also the most unabridged version I have ever come across! They seem to add some non-literal commentarial interpretatations into their translations, but even well-known translators such as Maurice Walshe tended to do this to an extent. I am impressed that they were able to translate a large portion of the canon, that is;

dīghanikāya
majjhimanikāya
saṃyuttanikāya (partial translations of each vagga)
aṅguttaranikāya (nipāta one to seven)
khuddakanikāya (dhammapada, suttanipāta, milindapañha)

Also one vinaya and two abhidhamma texts.

:pray::pray::pray:

5 Likes

After some further digging, I came across a reissue of the aṅguttaranikāya, the third volume completing the nikāya with nipāta eight to eleven.

AN 1 & 2 & 3 & 4.pdf (19.4 MB)
AN 5 & 6 & 7.pdf (17.0 MB)
AN 8 & 9 & 10 & 11.pdf (22.4 MB)

I also found their translation of the vimānavatthu. According to the catalogue they also translated the petavatthu but unfortunately I can’t find a copy anywhere!

KN 6.pdf (31.8 MB)

Enjoy. :pray:

1 Like