I am very impressed with hard work put together by teams in translating, collecting, recording, line-by-line, maintaining the suttas here on the sutta central, thanks for all the hard work done by entire team. I often read suttas, as well use the audio function to listen to them
Having said that, the search function on the portal has some improvement areas, most often it doesn’t produce what I am looking for.
E.g. when searched for mahanidana sutta SuttaCentral produces 312 results none contains mahanidana sutta, when same done in google gives first link as [
Maha-nidana Sutta: The Great Causes Discourse
My suggestion is
- Search should allow inline search like from:person and/or title:sn.46.51 which handles both simple and advanced searches
- Objective should be to provide results in 1-3 at most pages 25 / 50 items, any more are not useful
- Search should type ahead to complete the words from indexes
- Search should remove dictionary words, punctuation marks, stop words etc as well to be more precise
- Search should also include translating pali words to english and vice versa using different dictionaries like Abhijñā vs Abhijna both should provide similar results as we don’t expect users to type those specific characters
- you can use apache solr / elastic search etc. which are industry leaders and open source to provide similar features and indexing, more like this etc.
- or use some google integration which can be useful