New and updated Slovenian translation of MN by Bojan Božič

SuttaCentral now has a complete translation of the Majjhima Nikaya in Slovene (aka Slovenščina, aka Slovenian language, country code sl) thanks to the translation work of translator Bojan Božič. He has also translated the main SuttaCentral interface into Slovenian.

Here is his background on the translation:

I started translating because I could not find enough authentic informations about Buddhism in the Slovenian language. The visits of ayahn Chandapalo, Munindo and Sucitto to Slovenia inspired me to translate some of their speeches and books, and then I turned to translating Suttas. At first I translated only for myself, but then I got the opportunity to publish it on the website of our Buddhist society. At that time Slovenian monk Hiriko was of great help, with whom I searched for suitable Slovenian translations for some pali terms and words. I hope that Slovenian suttas of MN will help our readers on their path to Dhamma.

Some of you may know of Slovenia as the new home for Hillside Hermitage.

You can find more Sutta translations on slo-theravada.org

From Wikipedia:

Slovene (/ˈsloʊviːn/ or /sloʊˈviːn, slə-/[8]) or Slovenian (/sloʊˈviːniən, slə-/ ;[9][10] slovenščina) is a Western member of South Slavic languages, which belong to the Balto-Slavic branch of the Indo-European language family. Most of its 2.5 million speakers are the inhabitants of Slovenia, majority of them ethnic Slovenes. As Slovenia is part of the European Union, Slovene is also one of its 24 official and working languages. Its syntax is highly fusional and characterized by dual grammatical number. Two accentual norms (one characterized by pitch accent) are used. Its flexible word order is often adjusted for emphasis or stylistic reasons, although basically it is a SVO language. It has a T–V distinction: the use of the V-form demonstrates a respectful attitude towards superiors and the elderly, while it can be sidestepped through the passive form.[11]

Slovenia is in dark green below:

By NuclearVacuum - File:Location European nation states.svg, CC BY-SA 3.0, File:EU-Slovenia.svg - Wikimedia Commons

5 Likes