No, devas aren't gods

Yes, because ‘deva’ literally means ‘radiant’ and brahmas are also radiant beings. But the devas in the sensual planes are never referred to as ‘brahmas’, which means that we are talking about two distinct types of beings even though they all happen to be radiant.

Bhante, some of you seem to like to make the argument that the original meaning of words is final. I just don’t buy that argument. I’ve never thought of language that way.

I don’t think I’ve ever met a single Theravada monk who hasn’t referred to ‘brahmacariya’ as ‘the Holy Life’ in English, without any Buddhist going into shock due to the fact that originally the word holy has its sanctity directly from God. Languages change. Words take on new meanings.

Respectfully, bhante: if the fact that ‘deva’ and ‘brahma’ are two completely different words with completely different meanings in Pali isn’t a compelling enough argument against calling them both ‘gods’ in English, then I don’t think there is any argument that’s compelling enough for you.

In the OP I showed how ‘brahma’ is used both for the highest beings in samsara (obviously not including ariya-puggalas since they transcend samsara) and to describe other things that are of “the highest & best qualities, sublime, ideal best, very great”. I argued that since devas are not describes in those terms it’s incorrect to bundle them together with brahmas as just ‘gods’.

I also pointed to how differently the Buddha spoke about the two types of beings, how it would’ve been considered unworthy of a bhikkhu or bhikkhuni to choose the Holy Life in order to get a rebirth as a deva, while the Buddha himself said that a mendicant who experiences jhana (i.e. a brahma state) even for a split second is worthy of their almsfood.

A factor that I’ve only hinted at in earlier comments, for why we need a clear distinction between devas and brahmas, is that a deva rebirth only requires morality and generosity, while a brahma rebirth requires a high level of spiritual cultivation, i.e. samadhi, renunciation, mental purification, detachment - qualities that the Buddha respected even in non-Buddhist mendicants.

This too is a very compelling argument to me. Perhaps it’s the strongest argument of all to why devas shouldn’t be called gods. If becoming a god doesn’t require deep spiritual/mental cultivation I don’t even know what we’re talking about here.

To me these are all very solid/compelling arguments for why devas and brahmas shouldn’t be given equal status as ‘gods’. I don’t know what other argument anyone could possibly need.

I don’t know what you base that idea on, because the Norse had a clear cosmological map where the Æsir of Valhalla were placed on the highest branches of the tree Yggdrasil, which represented the entire cosmos. And the Greek assumed that their highest peak, Mount Olympus, was the highest place in the entire world, and that the beings who lived there were therefore also the highest in the universe.

That’s simply not true. Many of the myths surrounding these deities have nothing to do with their relationship to humans and everything to do with their struggles to keep control over the universe so that it wouldn’t fall into chaos and destruction. The myths also describe how the various beings were created and how the world came into existence through these beings.

And the “gods” of there religions were also worshipped - not only bribed for favours. We know very little about the mystical practices of the Norse and Greek mythologies, but there are theories that mystical initiation rites included psychoactive drugs that allowed the initiatee to see how the gods controlled the world, so that their faith would be replaced with knowledge.

These religions were much more complex than just “give the gods oblations so they do us favours”.

You’re proving my point here. That’s exactly why I think that devas shouldn’t be called ‘gods’ while brahmas should. Because even the Lord of all devas, king Sakka, was in fact viewed as a sort of nature spirit; one who influenced the weather.

Regardless of what (European) people called these deities in the past, to us Buddhists it’s clear that they were referring to beings in the sensual realms - worlds where there are different genders, beings have sex, there are wars between certain beings, e.g. between the Æair and the giants, or between Sakka’s armies and the Asuras.

That’s vastly different from the peaceful and ecstatic brahma realms, where beings dwell in samadhi for aeons and there are absolutely no conflicts or sensual indulgences.

1 Like

I once rebelled against translating deva as god. The trouble is that transliterating the word doesn’t really do the job of communicating what they are, either. “Spirit” only works for the half of the devas who are on earth in that shamanistic way, inhabiting trees, rivers, mountains, and such. And “god” works mainly for the half who inhabit the heavens. At the end of the day, the reader will need to learn some ancient Asian history to orient themselves properly. It’s troublesome, I know. As a translator, I do wish I could communicate a book’s worth of context with the turn of an English phrase, but I’ve learned that it’s not possible. :man_shrugging:

I do take heart, though, in the translation of Japanese kami as “god” being fairly well accepted, and they aren’t at all like European gods, either. It seems the word can mean various things, and people can deal with it.

8 Likes

Absolutely. But then call brahmas something else, since they are different beings with a different Pali name. Just pick a word that’s higher than ‘god’. Oh, wait…

I think that’s the ultimate argument for why devas and brahmas could just as well be called devas and brahmas, even in English. It sounds right, it immediately encourages people to learn the definitions of those terms, and it avoids potential confusion that comes with old concepts like ‘angels’, ‘gods’, etc.

I also think that the words ‘devas’ and ‘brahmas’ would be really beautiful additions to the English language.

I really like the untranslated “deva” and just learning about them. I feel similarly about the words “dukkha” and “nibbana,” for example.

Compound definitions or examples accumulated across many suttas bring their meaning to life much more beautifully than a single word English translation.

A god in the Hindu or Norse or other polytheistic tradition might match closely enough with a celestial deva. Being raised in a Judeo-Christian culture, I hear God and think Almighty or omnipotent, which would be contrary to the Buddha’s teaching of non-self, IMO. So the word god is too fraught to use.

2 Likes

FWIW: In the Indian translations of the Bible, the God of the Bible is frequently referred to as (the) “Deva”.

For instance, in Tamil, Genesis 1:1

ஆதியிலே தேவன் வானத்தையும் பூமியையும் சிருஷ்டித்தார்.
ādi-yile deva-n vāna-ttaiyum bhūmi-yaiyum siruṣṭi-ttār.
In the beginning (the) Deva created the heavens and the earth.

Of course, it should probably be taken as “(the) Deva” by context (Indian languages do not have articles).

But the point is, at least in an Indian context, the translators of the Bible used the word “Deva” to refer to their own deity.

Growing up as a Hindu, it always amused me because I just didn’t know which Deva they were referring to :smile:

V

3 Likes

6 Likes

Sure, and the texts I translate always call them “Brahma gods” so I pass on that bit of transliteration. They do get special treatment that way.

3 Likes

We call them them gods because we call all similar beings gods. In particular, the divinities descended from the Indo-European pantheon, which include Indic, Roman, and Greek gods, as well as the Norse gods, are regularly called “gods”.

Indeed. Personally, though, I am partial to the angels of Ezekiel 1:

Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel… Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

2 Likes

Thank you for this information. This confirms in the Indian religious traditions the term, deva/Deva, means directly god (deity)/God.

That’s actually not how translation works.

I think we can all agree that devas and brahmas are different from each other in many ways. The question, as I see it, is are they similar enough to each other and together different enough from other beings to use one term in describing them in some contexts. Personally, It’s a yes from me.

3 Likes

Does the Buddha teach that brahmas are gods, but devas are not gods? Which EBTs records that viewpoints?

It doesn’t make it flawed. It makes it a dynamic-equivalent (“sense-for-sense”) translation, as opposed to a form-equivalent (“word-for-word”) translation.

Most translators of Pali use either a dynamic-equivalent or a nearest-natural-equivalent method, or a blend of the two. Even translators who lean more towards formal equivalence (Nyanaponika and Nyanatiloka in German, Horner and Ñanamoli in English) are at times compelled to offer a dynamic-equivalent rendering to make the meaning intelligible to readers of the target language.

Eugene Nida and Dynamic Equivalence

Dynamic and Formal Equivalence (wiki)

1 Like

I see; both devas and brahmas are not gods; they are just devas, just brahmas.

In my opinion “god” is one of the most inconsistently/incorrectly translated or defined words in English, and in any others that use it similarly to us. Human beings are closer to the entities described in polytheistic religions like Hinduism or the Hellenic religion as those entities are to an all-powerful creator god like the Abrahamic one. Having influence over existence is nothing to inventing it (and presumably themselves) from scratch. All-powerful gods supposedly invented time itself.

I do agree that devas don’t even seem to be the same kind of entities as “gods” in typical polytheistic religions though. If the Buddha or any arahants designate them to be the same “category” then that’s good enough for me but I don’t see them as being overly concerned with what happens outside of their realms the way polytheistic religions depict their gods as being.

1 Like

No, they never are one and the same as presented in EBTs.

Why not should they both be called gods in English? What is ‘god’ in English?

If so, you should not say “brahmas are gods”, “devas aren’t gods”.

As I’ve said already, the pañcagati scheme of MN12 and AN9.68 decides it. In these suttas possible post-mortem destinations are reduced to just five:

Nirayo, tiracchānayoni, pettivisayo, manussā, devā—imā kho, bhikkhave, pañca gatiyo.

From this it follows that deva can serve as a catch-all term encompassing sense-sphere devas, rūpa brahmās, arūpabrahmās and (according to the Abhidhamma) even some of the asuras, in spite of the significant differences between them (which you keep on reiterating, even though none of your interlocutors has asserted otherwise).

4 Likes

Which, indeed, parallels the broad semantic range of
the term “god” in English, which covers everything from The Supreme (e.g. Christian) God to the minor, playful or supporting gods of the e.g. Greek pantheon. A range which seems to make the term a good fit for deva even (especially?) for a more formal translation.

3 Likes