On creating a map of Early Buddhism

and there’s occasional discrepancy between ATI AN and SN sutta numbers and those of SC.

I’ve now added brackets, spaces and semi-colons to reference lists. Obviously, there’s a bit of an inconsistency with reference formatting between individual ones and lists, but it’ll have to be for a day with absolutely nothing to do before I think about making the format consistent - it’s only cosmetic. :laughing:

I only did it by quick scan, so apologies if I’ve missed anything.

While going through these things pop up:

Isipatana / Migadaya
In the 4th paragraph I changed “the.” → “them:”

Kūṭāgārasālā
I couldn’t actually add the spaces to this one as the text limit of the description has been reached.

CETIYA / CETI / CETĪ / CEDI

Looking up AN6.46, AN10.24 and AN10.85 it seemed right to replace:

AN.iii.355f; AN.v.41f and AN.v.157ff are among several discourses preached to the Cetis, while the Buddha dwelt in their town of Sahajāti.

with:

AN.iii.355f; AN.v.41f and AN.v.157ff are discources preached to the Cetis by Mahācunda.

KOSALA

The Sutta Nipāta (Snp.405; AN.i.276) speaks of the Buddha’s…

I’m not sure if AN3.125 is meant to be a parallel text and I can’t check because the PTS verse numbers are only showing on the Pārāyana Vagga at the moment. If it isn’t a parallel I’d change it to “(Snp.405; and also AN.i.276)”.

LICCHAVĪ
I noticed that description is cut off as the text limit has been reached.

Also,
It’s possible that I might start weeping if I continue looking at the map with the understanding that Nāla and Nāḷandā are referring to the same place as Ven. Sujato has suggested and yet have different listings. I’ve left it untouched as I didn’t think it was my place to remove a listing.

Also, also,
What does ‘f’ stand for in, eg. SN.iv.179f?

1 Like

Thanks for this. I don’t actually know what ATI stands for, but yes, I did eventually work out there are these discrepancies. The reason why I mentioned the point is because it has been stated that a key motivation for creating this map is to support people new to the suttas. Confusion over the numbering systems (and discrepancies) in use certainly didn’t make beginning to explore the suttas any easier for me, and I figured it might be worth raising the issue in this connection.

:slightly_smiling:

:smiley: At no point did I ever try to suggest I wasn’t thick as!

“On one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling among the Sumbhas, where there was a town of the Sumbhas named Sedaka.”

I can’t seem to locate this on the map.

I see. Another reason why, as I suggested yesterday, using this Google app should be only an interim solution. It took a lot of work to get those references into a marked up form: we shouldn’t lose it. If at all possible, we should reintegrate the text changes back into the dictionary files, so that in the future we can build an app with properly formatted and linked references. I think there are only a few places where the text of the entry has been changed, am I right?

Yes: our numbers follow those of Ven Bodhi.

Welcome to despair. It is a familiar emotion.

If you want, just make a list of dubious points as you come across them, and we’ll try to look at them at some time.

The “f” is a convention meaning “and the following page”. “ff” means “and the following pages”.

It would be great, but is far from trivial. Sometimes a page has multiple suttas, or a sutta starts in the middle of a sutta. Also, when it’s a long sutta, say in the DN, a page reference is more specific than a plain ID, but it would be hard to identify the exact paragraph. And so on. For tens of thousands of cases.

Rather than converting such references, this is why I suggested at the meeting yesterday that we build a comprehensive model to map these references. The conversion mapping remains on the programming side, and we don’t try to correct the text. That way we can direct people to the appropriate place, without having to commit to actually determining the exact reference. If we send people to a text that is a little before or after the right one, oh well, they can adjust.

What we can do is to make the references machine-readable, which means two things:

1. Mark them up with <ref> tags or similar.
  2. Ensure each reference is complete and consistent.

I did this as best I could during the several months work it took to prepare the DPPN.

It’s not lost. I have it in the sc_dppn, which is what shows up on SC as you can see. Any changes to texts I have made to the dictionary on SC by hand so the markup was not lost.

[quote=“sujato, post:43, topic:2643”]
Also, when it’s a long sutta, say in the DN, a page reference is more specific than a plain ID, but it would be hard to identify the exact paragraph.
[/quote].

Every PTS id also has our format of uid#sc-id or uid#pts-id, which can be a link. See for instance Makuṭabandhana on the map as an example - it opens up at exactly the right spot in the text on SC (in Pali … can change it to English too).
Unfortunately, we cannot use <a> tags on Google maps but we can add the urls and as soon as the map is on our own site, it is possible to have the references as you describe.

Okay, cool.

In my understanding, Nāla is the village next to Nāḷandā University … or am I wrong?[quote=“Aminah, post:35, topic:2643”]
KOSALA

The Sutta Nipāta (Snp.405; AN.i.276) speaks of the Buddha’s…

I’m not sure if AN3.125 is meant to be a parallel text and I can’t check because the PTS verse numbers are only showing on the Pārāyana Vagga at the moment. If it isn’t a parallel I’d change it to “(Snp.405; and also AN.i.276)”.
[/quote]

The SNP405 does not at all speak of the Birthplace of the Buddha belonging to the Kosalans:
https://suttacentral.net/en/snp2.14/3.3748-
And as far as I can tell, neither does anything in AN.i.276.
Another DPPN error??

It’s the next sutta:

https://suttacentral.net/en/snp3.1/1.1813-

Straight over there, O king,
the Himalayas can be seen,
there, with wealth and energy,
living among the Kosalans

are the Ādicca of solar race,
in that, the clan of Sakyas.
From that family I’ve left home
not desiring pleasures of sense.

This is at the beginning of AN 3.126:

kosalesu cārikaṃ caramāno yena kapilavatthu tadavasari

I first added Nāḷandā after I plotted out the Mahaparinibbana using Ven. Ānandajoti’s map

Afterwards I mentioned my uncertainty about Nāla and Nāḷandā being located at the same place to which Ven. Sujato said:

Then there is something going on with the numbers because I checked the pali on Palikanon.com and they have the following for Snp 405 (on SC Snp 406):

‘‘Tato ca pāto upavutthuposatho, annena pānena ca bhikkhusaṅghaṃ;
Pasannacitto anumodamāno, yathārahaṃ saṃvibhajetha viññū.

And on SC Snp 405 is:

Tato ca ­pak­khas­supa­vas­su­posa­thaṃ,
Cātuddasiṃ pañcadasiñca aṭṭhamiṃ;
Pā­ṭihā­ri­ya­pak­khañca pasannamānaso,
Aṭṭhaṅgupetaṃ susamattarūpaṃ.

So how is somebody looking at the map to make sense of this?

1 Like

The DPPN references, like most third party sources, use the PTS numbers. So it’s important that these get added to our text, and they should be generally used by default in such dictionary contexts.

A further issue here is that the reference is sloppy. Snp 405 refers to the first verse of the poem in which there is a reference to the Sakyans being under Kosala. The poem is Snp 3.1, the specific verses are SC 425 and 426, or PTS 422 and 423.

Simple and clear. :wink:

1 Like

As I am working on the pali texts and renumbering them at the moment, I can do this too. But I would need to know exactly what pts numbers I am to use.
When I check http://palikanon.com/pali/khuddaka/sn/sn_iii01_426.htm, it shows this passage as PTS 424 and 425 … but the number used on the german translation on http://palikanon.com/khuddaka/sn/sn_iii01_424.html is 422 and 423 …
So what is the best source for the PTS numbers???

422 and 423 is correct. When in doubt, you can check the text images on the site.

So where are the brahmins on the map? What was thier route?