One of my favorite passages

Here’s a short passage from DN 25 Udumbarikasīhanada. It’s one of my favorites. It’s a very moving summary of why we teach and practice Dhamma, and the right way to do interreligious dialogue.

Nigrodha, you might think: ‘The ascetic Gotama speaks like this because he wants pupils.’

But you should not see it like this. Let your teacher remain your teacher.

You might think: ‘The ascetic Gotama speaks like this because he wants us to give up our recitation.’

But you should not see it like this. Let your recitation remain as it is.

You might think: ‘The ascetic Gotama speaks like this because he wants us to give up our livelihood.’

But you should not see it like this. Let your livelihood remain as it is.

You might think: ‘The ascetic Gotama speaks like this because he wants us to start doing things that are unskillful and considered unskillful in our tradition.’

But you should not see it like this. Let those things that are unskillful and considered unskillful in your tradition remain as they are.

You might think: ‘The ascetic Gotama speaks like this because he wants us to stop doing things that are skillful and considered skillful in our tradition.’

But you should not see it like this. Let those things that are skillful and considered skillful in your tradition remain as they are.

I do not speak for any of these reasons.

Nigrodha, there are things that are unskillful, corrupted, leading to future lives, hurtful, resulting in suffering and future birth, old age, and death. I teach Dhamma so that those things may be given up.

When you practice accordingly, corrupting qualities will be given up in you and cleansing qualities will grow. You will enter and remain in the fullness and abundance of wisdom, having realized it with your own insight in this very life.

11 Likes

Bhante it apperars above is your translation.
SC translation is below. Just may be interest to someone.
----------
But, O Nigrodha, there are bad things not put away, corrupting, entailing birth renewal, bringing suffering, resulting in ill, making for birth, decay and death in the future, and it is for the putting away of these that I teach the norm, according to which if ye do walk, the things that corrupt shall be put away, the things that make for purity shall grow and flourish, and ye shall attain to and abide in, each one for himself even here and now, the understanding and the realization of full and abounding insight.”

The teacher’s three foundations of mindfulness seems to apply here as well- to be even minded in approaching any religion. Wanderer’s were probably the least destructive- the Brahmins would perform animal sacrifices and I cant recalls how exactly the Buddha responded in such situations. Livelihood here doesn’t mean the livelihood of a butcher for example, which would be wrong livelihood, but simply livelihood of a wanderer.

He seemed to have taught elements of mundane right view to them, not teaching Right view which would make them stop doing Rites and rituals.

with metta

Thank you very much for sharing one of your favourites.

My favourite story from the suttas revolve around Vacchagotta: I love how he developed from incessant questioning to asking the right question that lead to the Gradual Training. (Appears to be quite an acquired taste though.)

2 Likes