Online Workshop with Bhante Sujato: Life Hacks for the End of the World

I have no words.

4 Likes

Yes, and it will all be destroyed much earlier than we think as there will be a exponentially accelerated feedback loop of desertification and droughts very similar to what will happen further north in the Amazon rainforest.

2 Likes

During the weekend, I forgot to post the link to the livestream for the second episode of the Life Hacks series… a thousand apologizes to all! :pray:

Here is the recorded event:

A note from the organizers: Because a number of people who applied did not show up, we have more spaces available in the virtual room for Bhante Sujato’s workshop “Life Hacks for the End of the World”. If you would like to participate with Bhante in the virtual room rather than follow along on YouTube, the registration form is now reopened for a limited period of time.

https://www.samita.be/en/bhante-sujato-life-hacks-for-the-end-of-the-world/

11 Likes

Thank you for this! I was able to play from your link posted here but not from LOVE link on the website (says video is private).

BTW I’m one of the no-shows, apologies committing to 6am Pacific Time on Sundays was probably not so wise :joy:

4 Likes

At least it shows ambition!

We more or less thought the timing would work out for folks in Europe and the US east coast, so sorry it’s not good for you!

4 Likes

The livestream for tomorrow’s ‘Part 3: Joy’ is:

(Note that the European time has shifted to 2 pm CET, see times in opening post.)

5 Likes

I’m still going to try to make it! If nothing else, having it on my calendar is my reminder to watch the recording when I wake up :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Here is the recorded talk of ‘Part 3: Joy’:

13 Likes

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu!
Bhante’s point about the advertisement industry is just brilliant!

3 Likes

The livestream for tomorrow’s ‘Part 4: Acceptance’ is:

(Note that the workshop starts at 3pm CET and 9am EST this time because of the move to wintertime in the USA)

6 Likes

In local times this means 2020-11-01T20:00:00Z.

1 Like

And here is the recorded talk for the final part:

3 Likes

(I tried to edit the OP to add the four links to the recorded videos but it looks like I can’t edit it anymore, so I’ll gather all the links here instead.)

The four videos are hosted on the Samita ASBL Youtube channel as a playlist:

And here are the links to the four parts:

6 Likes

In the fourth video, venerable @sujato makes reference to the simile of the mountain. For those curious, it is found in SN3.25:

:anjal:

4 Likes

Thank you for this talk Bhante @sujato

You stated that one of the things that makes it so hard to ‘Accept’ climate change is the fact that it is not ‘natural’, that it was caused by us - humans.

Given the time of the talks I didn’t attend them live, or participate in the discussions, but I’d just like to present an additional view.

The evolution of humans on the earth was a natural phenomenon. As such, the composition of the aggregates and the processes how humans operate is natural - defilements are ‘natural’. Defilements and craving for the wrong things are the very engine of samsara… We wouldn’t be human without them.

I find this makes Acceptance of the entirely of Samsara, the First Noble Truth, and the many detrimental actions and results by humans, much easier. All the good and the bad are really just the confluence of defilements (or lack of them) and conditions. This is where I pay homage to the Buddha, for showing us the path out of Ignorance, to the reduction/cessation of defilements and increase of skillful and wise behaviour, and ultimately, the Liberation from Samsara.

I just wanted to make this point, as so many people end up feeling responsible for the actions of others, and experience guilt or remorse that they haven’t been able to control the outcomes/deeds of others. We can only work towards to controlling our own negative impulses, and within our limited capacity, to create conditions (by our own behaviours and choices) that may influence others.

Note: Just as a matter of interest that may not have been mentioned yet, it is not just human activity that can have major negative outcomes for other beings on the planet. Numerous species (from animals to bacteria) often impact environments that make them unlivable for others (sometimes even themselves), so this is not limited to humans. It’s tempting to put humans in a completely different category to other animals … but all beings are conditioned, and for humans this includes Ignorance.
Ignorance is the condition for birth… :rofl:

Please forgive me for ‘stirring the pot’… :smile: :pray: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Indeed, yes. We have participated in the evolution of the earth for a long time. This actually came up in a recent article in the Guardian:

Doyle says that, from a Native American perspective, it was no surprise to find evidence of community living and gender cooperation in these areas. “We have always known that women and men are equal in so many different ways, and that wherever men went, women went,” he says. “There were families up there – men, women and children. We didn’t differentiate between where genders could go like other cultures did. It was a beautiful thing to see that proven.”

Glacial archaeological work also dismantles the flawed and archetypal view of these environments as “wildernesses”, says Lee. “They are incomplete ecosystems without the humans that once lived, worked, hunted and lived here,” he says. “The wider culture has underestimated where native people went,” agrees Doyle. “My people didn’t just visit… They were there all the time, and they’ve left the remnants of that.”

I’ll also post here an article that came up today that addresses another topic I spoke of in the last talk.

“I can see a really clear generational split,” says Lily Jarosz, a 17-year-old who lives near Pittsburgh. Jarosz says her parents are “apolitical Gen X-ers” while her grandmother is openly hostile when she raises the subject of climate change. “She’s said to me multiple times ‘why does it matter?’ That hurts me so much, like she doesn’t care about me or understand the immediacy of the issue,” says Jarosz.

5 Likes