Pajānāti or "knowing" - What can we know?

Pajānāti ‘fully know’ is closely relevant to both terms, jānāti ‘know’ and passati ‘see’ in SN/SA suttas. It is about knowing and seeing ‘things as they really are’ yathabhūtaṃ, essentially for the cessation of dukkha. There are in the SN/SA suttas altogether ‘seven’ things that one has to know (pp. 34, 36), and ‘two formulations’ that one has to see (pp. 53-4) for ending of dukkha; e.g.:

Pages 34-6 from The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism Choong Mun-keat 2000.pdf (187.5 KB)
Pages 52-4 from The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism Choong Mun-keat 2000.pdf (226.0 KB)

5 posts were split to a new topic: A comparison of the (Maha)Satipatthana Sutta

I need to read these! But not now. It’s time for me to sleep. Thank you @thomaslaw !

I was googling “ways of knowing” and read the following article. It was very much above my skill level but I stuck with it for the entire 2 pages (good job, Patricia!). I think I did get something out of so I’m glad I let a lot of the big words wash over me. But wondering if anyone else has read this? Context of Ways of Knowing, Bare Perception — Study Buddhism

Surprised no one mentioned Ven Sujato’s course as yet- he explores this topic in depth. :grin:

2 Likes

In page 54, it presents SN 22.95 states that the five aggregates are seen as void (without reality, rittaka), insubstantial (tucchaka), and lacking essence (asāraka). This insight agrees completely the Mahayana’s Heart Sutra teaching on seeing the five aggregates are simply empty. Heart Sutra - Wikipedia

Similar words are also found in SN35.197 (= SA 1172). The sutta states that the six internal sense spheres are seen as just void (rittaka), just vain (tucchaka), just empty (suññaka).
Pages 92-3 from The Fundamental Teachings of Early Buddhism Choong Mun-keat 2000.pdf (140.7 KB)

This underscores that I need to learn more about the aggregates. Thank you.