Pāli vocabulary freebies (common indo/euro roots)
Feel free to add to this list.
Anyone can edit this first post in the thread, not just the original poster.
If you edit the wiki (the first post, this post in the wiki thread), it won’t show up on SCDD current topics. If you want that to happen, add a new message to the thread to announce something you added.
English alphabetical order is used, since pali sort order would confuse the people trying to learn pali.
There are 4 piles (lists):
- words that share common indian/euro root
- words look like they share root, but don’t
- words with fun mnemonic ways to memorize them
- two for the price of one! This list of words, the negation means the opposite
1. indian and english derived from same root
bimba/puppet, trick to delude the senses (the masculine is bimbo)
pandita/pundit: wise man, wise guy
rukkha/tree (i.e. “oak”)
sata-padī/centi-pede: sata = 100 = greek centi. pada = foot = greek pede
sāta/satisfaction: pleasure; comfort. (adj.) pleasant; agreeable. (nt.)
udaka/water (= “otter”)
viriya/virility-vigor-vitailty: thanissaro uses persistence, bodhi uses “energy”.
2. looks like common indian and european root, but is not
(resemblance between indian root and english root is coincidence)
3. fun mnemonic tricks, memory device
(any resemblance between indian root and english root is coincidence)
āloka: A Loka, mnemonic: A LOTTA LIGHT. I see a lot of light.
kilesa: kilesas are killers of wisdom. Kill the kilesa before the kilesa kills you.
padhāna, padahati: exertion, energetic effort, samma vayamo = samma padhana: paddle your raft to cross the flood like your life depends on it!
4. two for the price of one! This list of words, the negation means the opposite
byāpāda, a-byāpāda: malevolence/non-malevolence
One idea for memorizing Pāli words is to use flashcards (physical/digital). Many options available, like Anki.