having arisen, they cease;,
their stilling is true bliss.”

“Aniccā vata saṅkhārā,
uppādavayadhammino
Uppajjitvā nirujjhanti
tesaṃ vūpasamo sukho”ti.

See this discussion for some stories of her life and teachings

28 Likes

(Thank you for conveying the message to the forum Bhante.)

May you attain Nibbana Ajahn Vayama Bhikkhuni :diya_lamp: :pray:t4::pray:t4::pray:t4::diya_lamp:

18 Likes

She was a great practitioner, a kind and wise person, and a courageous pioneer.

It was so sad to witness her long physical decline for many years, which was already becoming apparent over a decade ago. But even the last time I saw her, with Ranjani about three years ago, she was just as mentally sharp and witty as ever. I will always remember her kindness, her strength, and her clear-minded integrity. :pray:

28 Likes

I listened to all of Ayya Vayama’s available recorded talks back in the late 00’s. Her teachings were extremely important to my understanding of the Dhamma, and I felt it was a great loss when she was no longer able to teach.

Much gratitude…
:pray:

20 Likes

People who visited her even last week say she was still bright.
I never had the opportunity to meet Ajahn Vayama, but am eternally grateful for all she did for the Bhikkhuni Sangha and as role model for Australian monastic women.

15 Likes

Thank you for recent news.

In early 2010, some months after the 2009 bhikkhuni ordination, I had written to Ayya Vayama expressing my interest in ordination. Even though she never replied due to illness, having someone I could write to completely changed my life. We missed seeing each other (possibly not by much) when she left Dhammasara, so I never met her, although I had the privilege of assisting to do the final post-move clean of her kuti. I saw the impact her way of doing things had in shaping that community, and observing the system she set up had been my first exposure to a nuns’ community.

Many people had noted how hard she worked at the nuns’ island and how determined she was in staying in the caravan on the hill at Dhammasara. I understand that none of these things were easy. It requires a lot of strength to be a pioneer. My deep respect!

16 Likes

Ayya Vayama, the founding Abbot of Dhammasara Nuns Monastery in Australia, has just passed away at the age of 69. To commemorate her life, I would like to share the Internet Archive collection of her Dhamma talks.

Ayya Vayamas Talks : Ranjith Daluwatta : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Buddhism/comments/qytzo8/ayya_vayama_the_founding_abbot_of_dhammasara_nuns/

:anjal:

12 Likes
8 Likes

To My Teacher

An old grave hidden away at the foot of a deserted hill,
Overrun with rank weeds growing unchecked year after year;
There is no one left to tend the tomb,
And only an occasional woodcutter passes by.
Once I was his pupil, a youth with shaggy hair,
Learning deeply from him by the Narrow River.
One morning I set off on my solitary journey
And the years passed between us in silence.
Now I have returned to find him at rest here;
How can I honor his departed spirit?
I pour a dipper of pure water over his tombstone
And offer a silent prayer.
The sun suddenly disappears behind the hill
And I’m enveloped by the roar of the wind in the pines.
I try to pull myself away but cannot;
A flood of tears soaks my sleeves.

7 Likes

Ayya Vayama Bhikkhuni Theri’s funeral service

Posted on November 25, 2021 by Ayya Seri Bhikkhuni

Ayya Vayama Bhikkhuni Theri (Sister Vayama) passed away peacefully at home at Patacara Bhikkhuni Hermitage, Jane Brook, Western Australia on Saturday 20 November 2021.

Funeral service and cremation service on Saturday 27 November 2021

Her funeral service will be at the Bowra and O’Dea Chapel, 312 South St, Hilton, commencing at 8.30am AWST (viewing at 8.00am).

The cremation service will be at Fremantle Cemetery, Carrington St, Palmyra at 10.00am. Please assemble at the Carrington Pavilion from 9.45am.

Parking is limited, please carpool where possible.

The funeral for Ayya Vayama will be available by Livestream broadcast for friends and supporters elsewhere who are unable to attend in person.

Livestream Sister Vayama on Livestream

Please note there are no logins or passwords required. Just click on the link and when the filming goes ‘LIVE’, the livestream link will automatically go live. A video recording will be made available for later viewing.

Please note:

In lieu of flowers, consider making a donation to Patacara Bhikkhuni Hermitage Inc, Bankwest account. BSB: 306 041 Account: 1013896

(For donations from outside Australia, please use Swift Code: BKWAAU6P)

Reflections: Ayya Seri is inviting anyone who would like to send her a few words of appreciation for Ayya Vayama, or to say how Ayya Vayama has touched their life. Ayya Seri will share these reflections on the Patacara blog.

Please send these by email: patacarabhikkhunihermitage@gmail.com

9 Likes

Ajahn Vayama, Pioneering Australian Buddhist Nun, Dies Aged 70

7 Likes

Sothi, May the late Ayya Vayama Bhikkhuni attain the bliss of Nibbana

3 Likes

Commemoration Ceremony for Ajahn Vayama

3 Likes