Quotes concerning "Internet Buddhism"

I don’t wish to disparage the endeavour of spreading the dharma over the internet.

Rather, I would like to notice something, if others may allow me:

Internet Buddhism is distinctly not RL Buddhism.

This is my favourite quotation from the Pāli Canon (a non-EBT quotation) concerning Buddhisms that one distinctly and only encounters on the internet:

These learnt, they became intoxicated with pride, thinking to themselves—“The Supreme Buddha knows just the Three Pitakas, and we know them too. So what is the difference between us?”

-Ja 245

Anymore quotes that particarly apply to the modern phenomenon of “Internet Buddhism”? I can’t think this is the only one.

4 Likes

I’m a bit confused. How does the passage you quoted apply distinctly and only to the internet? It seems there are many people on the internet who do not hold this view and many people who hold this view outside of the internet.

Did you mean Right View?

Maybe I’m not understanding what you mean by “Internet Buddhism”?

5 Likes

RL = Real Life? A acronym used mostly on the internet.
Is that a real life joke or a bit of distinctive internet irony?

For a less rhetorical question: In your mind do all threads on suttacentral.net fit into your conception of “internet Buddhism”?

Obviously some persons, who we identify as Buddhist, were thinking such things 20 + centuries before the internet.

Ja 245

2 Likes

I think Internet forums are often a great detriment to Buddhism, but can be a great tool if Buddhists use Internet forums as an opportunity to practice Right Effort in response to offensive content.

Most of the time, I just see never bookish people with low emotional intelligence getting into hair splitting contests out of boredom or reacting emotionally like children.

For nearly everyone, there are some “difficult issues” which will cause us to speak and respond “like bookish people with low emotional intelligence”.
The internet seems to bring out this behavior a bit more than in other social situations but it does occur frequently outside of the internet context.

I have the thought experiment where everything I said was recorded, transcribed and publicly posted. Doing the first two for a time might be a very educational practice.

Some communication coaches strongly suggest recording and sometimes transcribing important conversations for latter review and reflection. Researchers do it as part of the research methodology.

Research into this topic is explained more in these posts: