Recent forum maintenance report

The procedure was not entirely unsuccessful, if we don’t take into account that it didn’t go as planned at all :grin:.

There were some unforeseen circumstances which prolonged the procedure and prevented it from finishing in a reasonable amount of time, therefore I decided to abort the whole lot.

The forum was not changed in any way this time around, and should operate in the same way as before. There is an extensive infrastructure issue behind the failure still, and I will have to do some more investigating, but hopefully the next time it will be a success.

It was anicca in action, and a good practice for patience, so a success overall :wink:

23 Likes

OMG, sorry to hear that. It sounds like … technology. I think people who don’t work with tech imagine that the bugs and crashes and weirdness they encounter is somehow because they don’t get tech. But yeah, it’s not them. (Well, not always!)

21 Likes

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

The psychological phenomenon of illusory superiority was identified as a form of cognitive bias in Kruger and Dunning’s 1999 study, “Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One’s Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments”.

Dunning and Kruger tested the hypotheses of the cognitive bias of illusory superiority on undergraduate students of introductory courses in psychology by examining the students’ self-assessments of their intellectual skills in logical reasoning (inductive, deductive, abductive), English grammar, and personal sense of humor. After learning their self-assessment scores, the students were asked to estimate their ranks in the psychology class.

The competent students underestimated their class rank, and the incompetent students overestimated theirs, but the incompetent students did not estimate their class rank as higher than the ranks estimated by the competent group.

Across four studies, the research indicated that the study participants who scored in the bottom quartile on tests of their sense of humor, knowledge of grammar, and logical reasoning, overestimated their test performance and their abilities; despite test scores that placed them in the 12th percentile, the participants estimated they ranked in the 62nd percentile.

Moreover, competent students tended to underestimate their own competence, because they erroneously presumed that tasks easy for them to perform were also easy for other people to perform.

…in contrast to high performers, “poor performers do not learn from feedback suggesting a need to improve”.

2 Likes

This cartoon made the rounds recently in the US. A state attempted to use a mobile app for tabulating voting results. Yeah, a task that normally is complete in 12 hours took an entire week.

9 Likes

:rofl:

Well I for one rate your “personal sense of humor” most highly @musiko! And your recent technical misadventures notwithstanding, I’m sure whatever it is will be resolved in no time. Thanks for all your hard work! :smile:

7 Likes

softWARE beWARE :eyes:

Software is the automation of consciousness, choices, perception, feeling and form.

DN33:1.11.114: As long as consciousness remains, it remains involved with form, supported by form, founded on form. And with a sprinkle of relishing, it grows, increases, and matures.

Thank goodness I retired…

5 Likes