Continuing the discussion from Recent forum maintenance report:
Well, third time’s a charm
Yesterday the old server started acting up, and I honestly don’t know if computers will ever become sentient or not, but I swear this one knew (and this was not the first time either). As soon as there is an intention to replace a piece of machinery it just starts sulking and refuses to cooperate any more
I’ve made a plan for upgrade for today afternoon, and yesterday evening, when I was about to publish the schedule, the CPU went wild. The service reboot mitigated the issue just long enough for me to catch some sleep before the inevitable systems failure, which predictably happened in the morning after the server reboot.
Luckily, most technical issues were already dealt with before, and today everything went according to plan and we are 95% operational (no data was lost, there are still some lingering issues with the missing files from before 2016, but their number has dropped from thousands to around 50).
The forum should perform as expected now, feel free to login and post, but expect a small loss of service (max. 15 min) at the end of the day, which is necessary to bring the server back to baseline.
If anyone experiences any problems logging in, please try these steps first:
- try to log in using your username/password
- if you don’t succeed, log in directly via email
- check your spam folders for forum emails.
- I you can’t find them anywhere, not even in spam folder, that means your email provider is silently dropping emails it perceives as spam. If this is the case you’ll have to contact them for support.
- If again you don’t succeed, try opening the incognito tab in your browser, disable all browser plugins and then try to log in again.
- I you still don’t succeed, clear your browser cache, restart the browser and repeat the last step.
- If all of this fails, please check if you can login on any other device
- as a last resort, use site contact email for assistance