We’ve already had a lot of useful bug reports for the new site, and our devas are scurrying around fixing stuff. I’ll make a dedicated thread here for bugs, and will start off by mentioning a few known issues so you don’t have to worry about posting them again.
The new site is built using an emerging standard called “web components”. These were proposed in 2011, but only late last year was the spec fully agreed on by all parties. The standard is still being implemented, so while this happens some rough edges are expected. Currently Blink-based browsers (Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi …) have the best support for web components.
We implement web components using Google’s Polymer 2 library. They are promising Polymer 3 “very soon”, and this should bring with it a range of improvements.
Meanwhile, here are some outstanding issues:
- Microsoft Edge doesn’t work. This is a limitation in Edge implementation of web components. Use another browser.
- Firefox can be slow. Keep your FF updated and it should be okay, but it won’t be fully speedy until they roll out web component support over the next couple of months.
- A small percentage of Firefox users will also encounter the dreaded “LastPass” bug, which causes the site to fail. This is a bug in the LastPass plugin for Firefox. They are aware of it and are making a fix. Keep your browser and plugin up to date, and it should be fixed soon. Meanwhile, either use another browser or disable the plugin.
- We’ve also had bug reports for Grammarly and Smooth Scrolling plugins as well as UBlock Origin and AdBlock Origin.
- Safari should work, but we have received some bug reports, which we are looking into. Check back in a few days, and if it’s still not resolved, let us know.
- Downloading texts for offline use is slow, and we are working on that. I would recommend waiting until next week before trying this out.
- Some of the more obscure texts are still not available, we are working on it.
- Not all of my new translations are ready. We should have the draft version of the full four nikayas in a week or two, and the fully proofed version in a couple of months. If you want to use these texts for some purpose I would recommend waiting until then.
- For the four nikayas, the Pali texts are linked to my new translations, so where the translations are absent the Pali texts are too. As above, they’ll be there in a week or two.
- Incoming bookmarked URLs are broken. This is because we added support for multiple authors, which requires a different approach to URLs. We will try to fix this problem as best we can, so your patience is appreciated.
Please note that the main site (suttacentral.net) and this forum are completely different platforms. For now we are mainly focussed on the main site, so don’t worry too much about problems with the new theme on the forum just yet.
When reporting bugs, please mention your operating system/version and your browser/version.