Report bugs for the new site here! 🐛

Sorry, I’m not sure if you are joking. It may be small caps, but if it is small caps of all lowercase, then it is effectively all uppercase.

If the text is in all lowercase, then there is no point to having it be small caps.

Personally I think this is a perfect situation to use small caps, but that’s not really what is happening. Is that the bug you are talking about on the Chrome end? If the underlying text is cased, and your intention is small caps, that’s not happening, at least in what I am seeing. But you must know this.

As always, thanks for all your work. I don’t want to sound complain-y or like a typography snob.

1 Like

In typography, small-caps are a specially designed set of letters, which are similar but not identical to the uppercase. “All small-caps” is considered by many (including the designer of our fonts) to be typographically preferable to “mixed small-caps”.

Not at all, our job is to present the Buddha’s words in the best possible way, so we always appreciate feedback.

1 Like

OK, well I don’t feel like a typography snob now. :wink:

Personally I think that kind of esoteric font design is best left to the printed page. I guarantee you most users will have no idea that you are using all lowercase of a small cap font. But they 100% will notice if they cut and paste text and it doesn’t have basic, standard capitalization.

I would also bet that in the future those kinds of subtitles will be joked about. “Remember when we created a whole different set of capital letters that nobody noticed? We were so cool!”:laughing:

Why don’t you just style it as all caps and be done with it? If that would fix the issue. I obviously don’t understand what is happening under the hood at all.

Bug: AN1.378, all the way up to AN 1.627, are not addressable in the menubar on the left:

(Suttacentral -> Sutta -> Numbered -> (PLI) Anguttaranikaya -> Ekakanipata -> Ekadhamma)

In other words, the menuing does not lead to:

The menubar on the left only has menuing going up to AN 1.377.

2 Likes

Thanks, we already have a bug for this and will fix ASAP.

Those pesky little suttas in AN, they’re really hard to get right!

1 Like

I encountered a D&D bug with the new SC Material Design Theme and it hinders the usability of links behind graphical elements on small screens (in case scenarios involving tables) to a point of not being able to use them at all.

This seems to occur on smaller screens only (tested on mobile browser with resolution 720x1280 and on desktop/tablet browsers with full width 1366x768 (all elements visible) and resized to 1/3 width (elements resized or invisible as on mobile)). The results were consistent both on mobile and desktop with Chromium and Edge so this is an indication that it is a CSS/theme issue.

Here are the screenshots:
BSWA Bhikkhuni & Bhikkhu Sangha---Friday Dhamma Talks---Dhammaloka 1990--2000 (pictures resized, emojis OK)

Ajahn Brahm---Dhamma Talks---Malaysia (both pictures and emojis resized)

BSWA Bhikkhuni & Bhikkhu Sangha---Friday Dhamma Talks---Dhammaloka 2018 (pictures OK, emojis (with download links) invisible)

It seems that the new theme allows resizing of graphical elements (pictures and emojis) in cramped spaces which leads to null dimensions in extreme cases.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s a significant bug!

1 Like

Strange, persistent, unbidden highlighting seen in Chromium. About 5 suttas read in a row (just proceeding to the next sutta at the bottom of the page, each time), all decided to keep completely highlighting themselves. This continued even across a reboot! And the highlighting wouldn’t disappear, even if I dragged across the text (expecting to make new highlighting).

On the left is Firefox, on the right is Chromium, where the highlighting somehow got “frozen on”:

Note: In the Gear menu, turning side-by-side off and back on fixed it.

1 Like

Wow, that’s … something. I think for now we should mark it as a curio, please let us know if it recurs.

1 Like

I don’t know how I caused it. So I can’t explain how to reproduce it. I wasn’t doing anything unusual which I could suggest as causing it.

3 Likes

Hello
At my sutta discussion group the following problems were seen.
ipad and Mac users could not see the site at all in safari or in a different browser [I think it was firefox]

Checked again today mac laptop and safari and the site was blank.

2 when printing from windows 10 or android part of text is off the sides of the page [side by side pali English view] or off the bottom of the page [line by line p&e or english only]
Changing paper size, margins, orientation didn’t help.
Also the default was that the menu printed over the top of the first page. When I carefull made sure the menu was retracted before printing, then half the time it didn’t obscure the page and half the time it did.

• am making printouts so the Mac and Ipad users can see the text.
1 Like

I don’t know if here is the place for this as it is not a bug but a request.

In Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation he puts … for repetition. I see this has been reproduced in Bhikkhu Sujato’s work.

Would it be possible to translate in Full and put all of the repetitions in please?
Much of the pedagogic effect and affect is lost without those repetitions.
The repetitions surely show us emphasis on the things we need to remember.

When going through MN19 recently it was particularly obvious.

Please put the repetitions back in.
thank you very much

1 Like

Hi Ayya,

Old versions of Safari are not supported. If it is a recent version, please let us know the version number.

These are known bugs are we will address them when we get the chance.

The abbreviations are mostly in the original Pali text, as you can see by viewing text and translation side by side. When translating, we use our best judgement to ensure the abbreviations are handled as well as possible, sometimes adjusting the manuscript choices. But no edition in print or manuscript spells out all abbreviations in full, and to reconstitute a full edition would require thousands of hours work. If there are specific instances that you think should be looked at, please cite them precisely and explain why they should be handled differently.

Dear Ayye @ Santacari

I use a Mac with OS 10.10. and Safari 10.1.2 and the new SC site does not work with it. It did for a short while but the last few weeks again has not; it’s just blank. So I use the old site but unfortuanately then can’t see Bhante @ Sujato’s new translations (nor the Pali side by side which is such a great feature) :frowning:

Interesting! Thank you Bhante @sujato .

Now that we (humanity) has the ability to hide and reveal large portions of text at the click of a button, do you think that this (reconstitute a full edition) might be a project worth undertaking in the future?

Thank you Bhante Sujato, I can see how you might wish to finiiish this phase of the project before launching into a new expanded scope.

But here is the particular example that brought this up for me - MN19 which I revisit fairly often as I mainly teach beginners.

3 3Then, as I meditated—diligent, keen, and resolute—a sensual thought arose. I understood: ‘This sensual thought has arisen in me. It leads to hurting myself, hurting others, and hurting both. It blocks wisdom, it’s on the side of anguish, and it doesn’t lead to extinguishment.’ When I reflected that it leads to hurting myself, it went away. When I reflected that it leads to hurting others, it went away. When I reflected that it leads to hurting both, it went away. When I reflected that it blocks wisdom, it’s on the side of anguish, and it doesn’t lead to extinguishment, it went away. So I gave up, got rid of, and eliminated any sensual thoughts that arose.

4-54Then, as I meditated—diligent, keen, and resolute—a malicious thought arose … a cruel thought arose. I understood: ‘This cruel thought has arisen in me. It leads to hurting myself, hurting others, and hurting both. It blocks wisdom, it’s on the side of anguish, and it doesn’t lead to extinguishment.’ When I reflected that it leads to hurting myself … hurting others … hurting both, it went away. When I reflected that it blocks wisdom, it’s on the side of anguish, and it doesn’t lead to extinguishment, it went away. So I gave up, got rid of, and eliminated any cruel thoughts that arose.

that part
4-54 Then, as I meditated—diligent, keen, and resolute—a malicious thought arose … a cruel thought arose.

as we read through it, we accidentally missed that it was two things in the first pass
[yes I know a little more mindfulness would help]

Going over again the amazing incredible step by step process that the Blessed one gives us to eliminate toxic thinking is just so useful to so many people.
Repeating it three times is quite special.

I’ll mention some others if you like as well.

Oh and I was wondering if I could help at all with the dictionary

3 Likes

As have mentioned before on this site somewhere, this is a huge and complex task that could only be undertaken by a genuine expert in Pali who is also tech-savvy. Of which there are, well, not many. Maybe one or two? Even so, for a dedicated expert working full time, I would estimate maybe 1 or 2 years work. So no, it’s not going to happen.

Yes, see this is the problem. You want to catch this issue. Sure! But it is, in fact, indicated in the text, so yes, more careful reading would solve this.

But say we spelled out the repetitions. Then there is a big blob of repetitious text. You’ve added a whole bunch of stuff that’s the same, and ask the reader to plough through lots of boring repetitions to filter out the one word that is different. That is no less difficult and error-prone a task than recognizing the occurrence of elisions.

There’s a reason why all printed editions use abbreviations. Without them, the texts rapidly become unreadable. Picking one or two passages that you think would be better spelled out is easy. But understanding the implications of doing that everywhere is a different matter entirely.

If you want to spell out a specific passage in full, you’re most welcome! Hey, if someone wants to make a “full text” edition, with all or many repetitions spelled out, we would consider hosting that. But it’s not something we will be spending time on.

Well, thank you. What kind of thing were you think of? We’re not actively working dictionaries at the moment. The only outstanding job is the markup and corrections to the old PTS dictionary.

You can see the old thread on this here:

And a list of 2-do items here:

Warning! This is a big, complex, slow, and thankless task!

2 Likes

Search, Suttas, Chrome, Win10. Sometimes (not always repeatable) a second search will show the first searches results. This continues until refreshing the page (F5).

Thanks for the report. We’ve dealt with this kind of issue a few times, but we thought we had it sorted out. It’s hard to test when it’s not repeatable. If you discover any other patterns in the error, let us know.

Again something related to Safari (macOS 10.13.4, Safari 11.1; iOS 11.3.0 and 11.3.1).
While the diacritics-problem persists, I switched to Devanagari-Script for Pāḷi and observed something like a marker, normally used when inputting compounded characters (don’t know, whether this is the correct term). See screenshot. This occurs, when two "ā"s meet inside a word. I tested this with Firefox, which (again) is fine.

SN45.1

2 Likes