Romanian Translations

http://dhamma.ro/

SC may contact above web site …

Thanks.

4 Likes

Thanks so much, we will look into this when we get some time.

3 Likes

I will make a note in Github issue-list and assign it to myself to do when I’m back in a few months time.
Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

I have made the files and contacted the people behind the website with a few questions (there is no Author mentioned that I can see and not all suttas have a section on copyrights), but I have not heard back from them.
I have attached the ZIP with the html-files so maybe @sujato can try to contact them again to get permission for publication, adapt the Meta Area and put them on the site.
romanian.zip (112.8 KB)

2 Likes

@Sujato … any news on this?

sorry, no I haven’t done anything …

OK. I’ll get on it.

Dear friends,

Romanian translations of some suttas can also be found on www.dhammadha.ro

Specifically:

The Discourse on Loving Kindness is already present on the SuttaCentral website, the rest are not.

I consider the translations of good quality; we established a glossary of common terminology so that the common phrases and technical terms are consistent. I have tried to remain as faithful to the original translation as much as possible and refrain from interpretation; this resulted in some phrases sounding awkward or outdated (but not incorrect) and perhaps a better-sounding or poetic expression could have been used, but I didn’t want to force any meanings and alter the message further (more than any translation process naturally does)

They are based on Ven. Ṭhānissaro’s translations. The proofreading has been done voluntarily by a professional translator.

The texts can also be found in Markdown format - perhaps it is easier in this format to be added to SuttaCentral. I would gladly offer my help in converting them in a suitable format and uploading them to GitHub if some initial guidance is offered.

10 Likes

Thanks so much for the update, and for your wonderful work. @Aminah can we get these texts added?

3 Likes

Thank you, Venerable @sujato. I would like to also formally ask for permission to use your translations into English as sources for some of the future translations that I will be working on. Specifically, for now, I’m referring to MN47. I know that the licensing legally permits but this is ultimately an affair that concerns the Sangha.

3 Likes

Any news? Ven. @sujato, @Aminah?

2 Likes

Hello Naga, and thanks so much for sharing these translations!

I added them to our GitHub repository for legacy format texts last month, however, legacy texts are currently being held on a separate branch pending the conclusion of some work being done to update texts pages, which is why they’re still not showing on the site yet. I’m most sorry I didn’t drop a line to let you know what had happened so far; I naturally have it on a list of new legacy texts to announce when the update finally gets pushed.

Thanks again!
:pray:

2 Likes

Thanks @Aminah for the update! I’m glad things are moving forward. I have looked over the repository; please note that the translator is not the same as for the existing suttas, we are a different community (“Dhammadha.ro”)

2 Likes

a lot of thanks for these translations. never thought that there’s a Romanian translated version.
since there are some english words that are hard for me to understand, that’s always very appreciated.

4 Likes

Sorry, I seem to have missed this earlier. Yes, please go ahead, I am delighted to see your project!

2 Likes

Many thanks for highlighting this. If you can let me know what the correct name should be I’ll update it.

3 Likes

Would it be possible to use “Dhammadha.ro community” since we are multiple translators? Either that or use my name, but as ‘Editor’/‘Coordinator’ instead of ‘Author’: Mircea Mare

4 Likes

@Excleciall I’m glad you find them useful. If you would like a printed copy of a Romanian translation of the Dhammapada please send me a private message with your postal address.

5 Likes

Okay that’s been done now; if you check the same link above it should show.
Again, much thanks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

lots of thanks but no need to worry. i’m usually reading it online, but if i would like a printed copy i can make myself one during my breakfast. but thanks again, i really appreciate the worries.

3 Likes