SC-Voice release v2.2

Improvements in UI and accessibility

Dear friends of Voice,

In this rather short development cycle the main focus was on improving the settings interface in order to make it easier accessible. In this case most of the credits goes to @Aminah!

Try it out!

We have also added a new website language thanks to @Wheatfield: View Voice in French now (and listen to suttas in Pali, English, or German).

Following a user request we have implemented a small pause between suttas in multiple sutta playlists. For those who wish playlists with longer pauses, @Robbie has developed a way to create them using python commands. Try it out, become a snake charmer! :snake: :heart:

And it should be easier now for those with slow internet to download a sutta (but still, donā€™t try DN 33!).

Voice now also has an Acknowledgements page.

Amongst the English language narrators, Russel has left and made way for Brian who turned out to be the most popular in our little poll on reading voices. He is pretty energetic, so probably keeps you awake while listening to the suttas. This seems to be what most people like. But for those who prefer it a bit softer thereā€™s still good old Amy to help you out.

And when talking about leaving, we would like to use this occasion to officially say good bye to @Aminah who has now retired from the Voice team and became the first VOICE EMERITA. Next to all her contributions that are mentioned in the Acknowledgements there are of course still all those things you canā€™t easily find words for, but that are no less important. Aminah, you have left traces in our hearts that even a thousand DELETE buttons would not be able to erase! :blush: :sparkles: :revolving_hearts: And at this point words fail meā€¦

Please find the full list of release items here.

We like to hear your feedback. :pray:

11 Likes

Oh no, there seems to be another disease that is contagious! I am so deeply touched by the words that made it on screen and the words that didnā€™t, and Iā€™m going to trust youā€™ll be able to decipher all the unwritten words of my message here!!!!
:heart:

You folks rock! :grin:

6 Likes

Thank you, Anagarika @Sabbamitta. Your enthusiasm, organization and vigilance have made ongoing Voice work possible and painless. :pray:

Aminah, your new Settings UI is indeed very much easier to use and also elegantly compact. Thank you for this feature and also for your own passion and skill in design, leadership and insight since the very beginning of Voice. :pray:

To all the translators, thank you for your time and efforts in making the Dhamma accessible to the world. :pray:

:heart:

6 Likes

:pray::pray::pray:

Is it possible to change narrator on pali only recitation? On my phone I canā€™t seem to change narrator.

I also have a request, is it possible to get pali only recitation but still display both pali and translation text?

2 Likes

Go to the settings and open ā€œtranslationā€, then check only the box for Pali:

Bildschirmfoto vom 2020-03-16 20-16-01

Asking the technical part of the team: @karl_lew? Or maybe @Robbie has an idea?

4 Likes

It is currently not possible simply because it hadnā€™t occurred to us. I listen to Voice rather than look at it so the problem simply doesnā€™t arise for the visually impaired. However, such a feature would double the rate at which the sighted can listen to the bilingual suttas, since one can read the English/Pali while hearing the Pali. We can certainly add in this feature for a future release with an estimate of about a week of work (i.e., 13) since it involves both UI and backend work.

A more economical solution would be to ALWAYS show the translation language and have the preference apply only to the spoken language. This would require no UI change and would take half as much time. But it might (?) surprise some (?) people who expect to only read Pali.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s why Iā€™d rather go for the first option. Made an issue:

5 Likes

Thanks so much Karl, Aminah, and Sabbamitta for your continued, incredible work on this amazing service! :pray:

8 Likes

This is the BEST idea. I would love it.

6 Likes

:slight_smile: Perhaps this would also be possible - there are times when I want to read in pali and english, but listen to english only. (Itā€™s a social kindness; other listeners are not interested in the pali (usually); earphones are uncomfortable and reduce sharing Dhamma. )

2 Likes

Ah. Quite interesting! We therefore need preference for what to play and what to show. :thinking:

Anagarika @Sabbamitta, I think perhaps this is a logical extension of the same issue?

4 Likes

Yes Ayye, I knew how to do that, but I can get only ā€˜Amyā€™ whichever narrator I choose.

2 Likes

The setting I mean is not under ā€œnarratorā€ but under ā€œtranslationā€. Are you sure you have only ticked the box for Pali and have unchecked the box for translation language? See my screen shot above. If this setting is right it doesnā€™t matter which English narrator is selected, you should hear only Pali.

If you have done all that, and you still hear Pali and English, please let us know what exact device you are using, which operating system and browser (version number).

If this happens when you actually want to hear an English voice, then please explain exactly what you are trying to do.

1 Like

Have you seen what the issue says? It doesnā€™t say ā€œlistening to Pali together with bilingual readingā€, it says ā€œmonolingual listening together with bilingual readingā€. ā€œMonolingualā€ can be any language. :wink:

(And ā€œbilingualā€, by extension, can be any two languagesā€”which may become relevant in connection with a later release we have scheduled which is supposed to enable bilingual listening to any two languages. And maybe this new issue can just go into the same release, so the other item isnā€™t so lonelyā€¦ :smile:)

1 Like