Search isn't working for me

At present I’m getting zero results for any search I do on SC. Is that happening for others as well?

1 Like

Search is currently working fine! Try deleting old cookies/ refreshing your browser perhaps? The site was recently updated.

An alternative is to use Google to search SuttaCentral only :-

When using Google search one can restrict the results to suttacentral only, by typing site:suttacentral.net into the search bar, followed by the search terms.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s working for you. It’s not a browser/cookie issue since I get the same result (or lack of one) on two different computers and on my phone.

Thanks for the reminder about Google.

1 Like

Hmm… could you let us know a bit about your OS and browser? I’ll pass along the information to our technical team @blake @sujato . We’ll look into it ASAP!
:smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for looking into this.

I’m experiencing this problem on Catalina and iOS 14 in both Firefox and Safari, so I really don’t think it’s related to my browsers or computers. Apart from the search function, SC is working fine for me.

2 Likes

I’m pleased to say that the search function is working for me again. Sadhu! If anyone helped make that happen, I thank you.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry about the outage. Recently we’ve been experiencing a semi-regular failure. We’ve been unable to diagnose it, apart from “probably something to do with the search engine”. We’ve rebooted everything, and hopefully it will go away.

2 Likes

It’s working on my Android again now! And so is the hamburger icon to open suttas. It all stopped working on my phone months ago.

2 Likes

It appear to be down again.

Sorry about that! Yes, search on SuttaCentral is down again! The Technical Team @sujato @blake should be attending to it soon!

<<Bhante, random thought - perhaps we can add a Google powered search bar? Or is it already running through Google? >>
:smiley:

2 Likes

SuttaCentral is currently contact-less in deep meditation: 0 results for root of suffering

While waiting, try Voice.suttacentral.net to find root of suffering.

4 Likes

:scream: is currently the most popular emoji in the SC developer chat channel.

But we are back!

It’s a possibility, I have proposed it in the past (I’d probably use Duck Duck Go, though.) Currently, however, we use elasticsearch, which is an open source site search engine. es is great for what it is, but we are hoping in the medium term to be able to ditch search engines altogether and just use our database. Our translation app Bilara now does this, and we’re assessing the feasibility.

Still, a generic search option would still be an option.

2 Likes

Would it be possible to maintain two options, Bilara and a generic one?

Sure, it’s just whether the engineering burden is worth it.

1 Like

Search is down again! Ven @sujato :pray:

1 Like

:scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat:

3 Likes

Search seems to have stopped again. It only returns dictionary entries.

1 Like

I too have had sporadic search problems. I use OS Big Sur and Safari. Sometimes I search and I get a blank Sutta Central page. If I reload, it usually populates, but not always. A few times I’ve switched over to Chrome and had the same experience.

1 Like

Hey @mikenz66, I’ve rebuilt the index, please have time to check if it is normal :pray:

3 Likes

Thanks @HongDa! It’s working now.

1 Like