Searching for Bahuvedaniya Sutta (MN59)

Im trying to find MN 59 Bahuvedaniya Sutta: The Many Kinds of Feeling on this site but only got an exerpt when I did a search. Im not too familar with how to look through the books. I did find it on accesstoinsight but trying to read other translations.

Can you explain to me how to find the full text in English?

Thanks

Type https://suttacentral.net
after the .net type a slash (/) followed by your citation, which in this case is MN59.

The whole thing should look like https://suttacentral.net/mn59.

You can use this for any citation that is in this style (it wont work for citations like ā€œMN i 396ā€).

So lets say you wanna see SN20.2. You use the same method, typing a slash followed by the citation number after https://suttacentral.net to get https://suttacentral.net/sn20.2.

You then select the translation you want to read.

5 Likes

Once I get to the exerpt page, how do I get the full text?

I pressed the exerpt and the side citation but found theyre not links. I cant find english on the drop down list.

Thank youā€¦the citation code works perfect.

1 Like

If you wish to listen to MN59, click here.

2 Likes

For english translations click on the authorā€™s name (in green), for other languages select the ā€œMoreā€ dropdown list.

3 Likes

I got that far but I canā€™t find the English version on the drop down list. (Found it) You have to press sujato instead of horner. Thereā€™s no English option on the drop menu.

Nice! Thanks

1 Like

Yes, its sorted by translator rather than language, but, if you notice, in front of each listed translator, there is a shortform, for instance, the Pāli texts are listed as ā€˜Mahāsaį¹…gÄ«tiā€™ but with a ā€œPLIā€ icon in front of them. This refers to the Pāli language.

Does anyone know a sutta hosted here with more than three English translations available? So that @unveiledartist can see the ā€œENā€ in front of an English translator?

1 Like

Yes, I just wanted to add that working with folks who speak English as a second language, the UI is not as clear as it may seem. If you donā€™t know that Sujato and Bodhi are the names of people, it really is confusing. As I have pointed out before, Sujato is the name of a person, not the name of a translation.

I know IU is difficult, but I do wish there was a way to make this more clear. It is of course convenient for those in the know, but for those who are not, it is opaque.

If the Green names will always be English, could it say ā€œEnglish Translationsā€ instead of just translations?

3 Likes

If I remember correctly the ā€œpreferredā€ translations in green will eventually reflect the browser language settings for each individual user and when this is implemented translations in oneā€™s local language will be put first.

2 Likes

Youā€™re quite right, and based on similar feedback I have been working on a new UI for the sutta cards. And because Iā€™m in a good mood today, here is the very first unofficial, draft, subject to revision and may completely change iteration of my new design.

Thatā€™s correct. Our rollout of the translated versions has been delayed due to the problems with our translation software. But we are hoping to have Chinese and Indonesian before too long.

11 Likes

This new draft looks very clear indeed! But it takes a lot more spaceā€¦

1 Like

This already looks great :smile:. I take it that localized translations will still float to the top with the new design (so that English section on top will be substituted with the language set in browser)?

3 Likes

This is true, maybe the top section(s) should collapse on mobile to save space? Also, I see that translations are sorted by date (newest on top), which is a nice touch and maybe on limited viewports only the most recent translation can be expanded?

1 Like

Oh ho! ā€œEnglish & Paliā€ is the secret sauce for segmented text!

:pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

True. But is it the right amount.

Right.

It has a compact view that can be toggled. As a rule, I try not to second-guess the userā€™s preferences, so I want to minimize differences between views on devices. So Iā€™d rather change the view only on the explicit request of the user.

Indeed!

3 Likes

I have a question for you guys. When I get an alert and click on it, it doesnā€™t automatically go to my comment it address. I have to fish through comments for the reply.

Is there a better way to find your replies? Iā€™m on my android cell or notebook so I dont know if they have something to do with it.

Thanks

On my Chromebook, when I click on my icon to see new activity, a pop-up menu appears. On that pop-up menus, unvisited replies are highlighted in blue. When I click on a highlighted reply, the reply is shown on the main page. Is that different on your laptop?

Iā€™m on my android. Itā€™s the same on a desktop. I tried something in my preference. I put notifications on front page. If you can reply here Iā€™ma see if new messages appear on the default page. It looks like I can preview replies.

1 Like