Subtitles needed for Ajahn Ganha video

Dear Dhamma friends,

Jake Mitra from BSWA has produced a video about Ajahn Ganha’s monastery in Thailand. Luang Por is seen teaching the community in Thai. Would anybody be able and have the time to translate the words into English so that they could be added as subtitles? Here is the link:

If you are interested, it is on Jake Mitra’s youtube channel and you can message him in the comments.
With metta
Georg

7 Likes

I should add that there are only a few sentences to be heard in the middle and towards the end.

1 Like

Just a quick related question regarding Ajahn Ganha, does any one have any links to translated talks or writings by him? I have not been able to find anything so far.

1 Like

Here is Luang Por’s very recent reply to the question on climate change and its causes:

Translation is given in the video, but there is also an alternative translation in the video description.

3 Likes

I saw this a few days ago and I was so happy! LP Gunha shows once more why he is considered one of the widest of the forest monks. In his views, there is no contradiction between the “worldly” good of the environment and the life of the renunciate.

Just one tiny detail I noticed in the translation. It says that LP Gunha advocates as a response to the climate crisis that we should “plant trees”. By itself that might seem a little naive, as we clearly need to do more than that. However, if I understand it correctly, he actually refers to doing “various things such as planting trees”.

9 Likes

https://tinyurl.com/y7p5oyx3
This link will take you to a Google Drive containing translations of Luang Por Ganha’s teachings (English and German).

The translations were done by a nun who lives at his main monastery (Wat Pa Subthawee Dhammaram). Enjoy!

12 Likes

Is there still a need for subtitle translation? I used to spend weekends at one of his branch temples (and almost ordained there!) and would be very happy to help out.

8 Likes

Thank you, @Nanrin. How lucky you were to be in this environment. I have sent a message with your kind offer to Jake Mitra who produced the video.

3 Likes

also found some via the media site of wat pah subthawee E-Book - Google Drive from

สื่อธรรมะ_eng | WATPAHSUBTHAWEE (which links to the above - and also has “English MP3”)

1 Like

This is 4 years too late to respond to your comment. :grin:

What Ajahn Gunha said was a big picture: humans’ minds are on the downhill; that is why nature is suffering.

The translation provided in the description of the video hopefully reflects more accurately what he said than the interpretator’s.

Please note that it is difficult to get simultaneous or even consecutive interpretation 100% accurate. Also, Aj Gunhah’s Thai language syntax appears chunky; one needs to ‘string’ together the whole thing of what he says before we can get 100% understanding and translation of what he says.

Here is the essential part of what he says (Verbatim translation, parenthesis is the translator’s insertion or interpretation to facilitate understanding):

Because humans have greed, hatred and delusions… the world is getting hotter in proportion to the humans’ increasing greed, hatred and delusions. If people have right view, right understanding, right actions, and are not selfish, the nature can then be well conserved.

What is needed is to develop humans’ minds so that we can cultivate nature. People need to have right (attitude and action) by having metta, planting trees.

(At the moment) people are betraying friends and nature. If we don’t love dhamma, if we don’t love nature, we will (have the urge to) destroy others.

We all think that animals are our food. This is not right. This is our upādāna (= grasping), our selfishness. Hence, our mind lacks sīla and morality, and we live our lives by exploiting others.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your translation :pray: 4 years later, and it seems we’re not getting much better at sila and saving the planet, are we? But then, right now two of my adult children are planting trees in British Columbia (Canada) where there were lots of wildfires last year, and the fire season has started all over again recently. I think everyone manages planting at least 1000 trees/day. One of my sons is even thinking of becoming a fire fighter as well.

2 Likes