Sujato/John Kelly Pali Courses: Resources

Brilliant, Stephen! Well said. :smile:

4 Likes

I use Sublime Text to search SC’s data locally.

• Sublime Text is a text editor, you can install a trial version for free, or use the free VScode which has similar functionality. It lets you search inside any folder on your computer, super handy! You can also use regex, which is like super-powered search. For example I might want to find a text where a “cat” is described as “cute”, so cat.*cute, which means “look for cat, then any number of characters, then cute”. Alas, it does not occur! (We can’t use regex online, because it is easy to write a regex that takes a stupid amount of processing power and will crash the server.)
  • You can download SC’s Pali texts and translations from this link.

Doing this is a bit more hassle than using a dedicated app like Digital Pali Reader, but the advantage is that you can then do the same thing with any set of texts, eg. I use the same setup for searching Sanskrit.

5 Likes

Does the DPR work offline?

In theory, yes:

But it’s a PWA like SuttaCentral so you can probably expect it to work as well. But I think if you do get it to work it would have search.

If it’s not clear from the screenshot above, you click on the button with a single down-arrow to get the menu with “Install”.

2 Likes

DPR does seem to work offline. There’s even videos explaining how to install it and use it in the help section: Digital Pāli Reader

1 Like

I meant with a computer but offline (i.e. I have no internet in my kuti). :grin:

Perhaps one day I might have an internal search function (in my mind) of the suttas like Bhikkhu Bodhi, but until then I am just looking for an effective way to search for particular words or phrases… I’ll have a go at DPR.

2 Likes

Thanks! I also managed to get this working with a little help from Anagarikā @tracy
We both decided that it is lots of fun. :grin:

2 Likes

Vocabulary Lists
I’ve been looking through some old files on my computer and found two vocabulary files that might be very useful to people. Particularly if they can load the words into some sort of vocab learning software (like Anki, which is mentioned in this thread, but which I’m not familiar with).

One of the lists is what I compiled from the first 25 lessons of Warder, and the other is what I compiled from when I was assisting Bhikkhu Bodhi with some of his Wisdom Publications translations. So, they are taken from BB’s glossaries at the back of the books in the MN, SN, and AN translations. These are both Word documents.

Now if someone could please instruct me on how to attach files to a message in D&D, then I can share them with you! (Apologies for my ignorance)

4 Likes

It’s easy!

Just click the “upload” button in your “reply” window

Select the file you wish to upload from your computer—that’s basically it. I just did it with this screenshot here. :smile:

Thank you for your great support for this course! I am not a participant, but enjoy following the discussions (at least as far as it’s not too specifically about the exercices, which I am not doing).

1 Like

Ordinary users can only attach jpg, jpeg, png, gif, mp3, ogg, pdf, epub, or opus files. For anything else we have to upload it to a file sharing site and then share a link. Like Google Drive or mediafire.com.

3 Likes

Thank you @sabbamitta. Yes, I did see the File Upload button as you describe, but it wouldn’t let me upload Word docs. Which was puzzling, but now @snowbird has solved that mystery - I’m only an ‘ordinary user’, apparently. :frowning:

2 Likes

If I upload the files to my Google Drive, then share a link as you suggest, does that only allow users here to access those particular files only on my drive? I wouldn’t want everything on my drive to be made public, of course.

2 Likes

It re-save your word docs as pdfs and upload them here for anyone to download. That’s my standard.

You click the link to the file, not the folder. So, only the file will be shared. Also, click ‘view only’, not edit. Or, people can accidentally delete the file.

Please share the Word doc as it’s easier for people to add info or make adjustments to suit their learning style.

Looking forward to using your file!

Thank you so very much! :pray: :pray: :pray:

Yes, Gillian, I know I could easily save the word docs as pdfs, but then they wouldn’t be as useful to people.

1 Like

Thanks, Dheerayupa. I’ll include the links to the Word docs here. Let me know if you can access them okay.

4 Likes

Is the stats correct? There are 35 pages, 3481 words?

2 Likes

Warder Vocab file stats: 25 pages, 8496 words?

Thank you so much. My next adventure is to put them all in a table. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Dheerayupa, the stats you show for both files is correct, and the total words shown in each is all words, Pāḷi and English in the document. Also, if you are attempting to combine them, note that the conventions used by Warder and BB differ. Warder puts the nouns in nominative singular form, and BB has them in stem form. E.g. puriso vs purisa and cittaṃ vs citta, etc.

And I’ve now discovered that I also have a file for the vocab in Gair and Karuntillake. [I’d forgotten how diligent I was way back then when I was learning Pāli! :grinning:]

5 Likes

Thank you, John et al, for the effort to post these. They will be most helpful :heart_eyes: