Survey: What filters would you like for šŸ” search?

Yeah, Iā€™ve also thought it was a little strange. Itā€™s really more like ā€œsettingsā€ (which is only one type of setting at the moment) and ā€œdocumentationā€ explaining ways you can modify the search (which is really just filters at this point). They are exclusive from (to?) each other because you canā€™t currently add the parameters in the language check boxes into the search field.

But, I do like having those languages as something that stays selected and then sits in the background. The chances of me, for example, waking up one morning and wanting to include documents translated into something other than English is close to zero. So I donā€™t want to have to add in language:english every time. Itā€™s bad enough that I have to add in:pali.

Well, unlike Google, if we couldnā€™t limit by document language the search would be drastically less useful. So I donā€™t really see that part of the search as advanced.

Now that I think about it, Google is kind of funnyā€¦ Everything you can do with ā€œAdvancedā€ search is available just by typing it into the search bar. When you actually go to what they call ā€œAdvanced searchā€ Itā€™s really just training wheels to give you access to things already available in the ā€œmainā€ search.

What do you think about the page with magnifying lens? I agree with Ven. @sabbamitta that in its own way it closely resembles ā€œdocuments searched inā€

I agree itā€™s not perfect. Iā€™m not happy with the icons being so far to the right that they almost become invisible. Iā€™m especially not keen on the ā€œparallelsā€ label because most of what is under it has nothing to do with parallels.

But all that is worth a new thread.

The problem with the Advanced search drop downs is that itā€™s not as accessible (for the visually impaired). Although it does make those options easier to find.

I think for the sake of this thread, unless itā€™s proposing a very different way that filters should work (or simple things like a better icon), itā€™s best to concentrate on the functionality rather than the UI so much.

I really appreciate your insights Ven. @Pasanna.

1 Like