Sutta Nipata published!

Happy day today, we’ve pushed my new translation of the Sutta Nipata, under the title “Anthology of Discourses”. Please enjoy!

Also, to all the monastics out there, have a happy and auspicious pavarana day!

And in the spirit of pavarana, may I ask for forgiveness for anyone who I may have harmed or hurt, whether intentionally or unintentionally. :pray: I am a work in progress, and I will try to do better.

52 Likes

Thanks so much for this Bhante. My personal favourite has a new translation. I feel so blessed. :pray:

1 Like

Thank you Bhante! Much metta!

Awesome! Thanks, @sujato. I found a bug for you already:

Those counts that say “0 English” along the right hand side? Those counts aren’t true.

Those zero-counts also appear here:

Uragavagga:

Mahavagga:

Parayana:

2 Likes

Me too! Haha. The counts appear for me, but the page title is the last sutta I was reading:

PS: cc @HongDa ^

4 Likes

Thank you for feedback :slight_smile:
I’ll fix it ASAP.

4 Likes

Thank you Bhante, yesterday I was wondering when your bilinear translation will be online. Now I just finished reading a few suttas in the first 2 chapters, and enjoyed both content and style.
:pray: :pray: :pray:

3 Likes

Thank you so much bhante. :pray:

1 Like

I, too, seem unable to get to the English translations. I am sent to the Pali text with a tab on the right stating how many English translations are available. (like the image provided above) When I click on that I get a long list off sutta correspondence.
What am I missing?
Thanks for your help.

Have you tried a ‘hard refresh’, for me they weren’t available, but after a hard refresh they show up and work fine for me. :+1:

Hard refresh

A hard refresh clears your browser cache for a specific page, which forces it to load the most recent version of that page. This could include new scripts, styles or features.

Important: Clicking the “Refresh” arrow on your browser address bar is not a hard refresh. Here’s how you can clear your cache through a hard refresh on any browser:

Google Chrome

• Windows users: hold down Ctrl and then press F5 on your keyboard
  • Mac users: hold down Cmd and Shift and then press R on your keyboard

Firefox

• For Windows users: hold down Ctrl and then press F5 on your keyboard
  • Mac users: hold down ? Cmd and ? Shift and then press R on your keyboard

Safari (Mac)

• Go to Safari > Empty Cache, or hit Opt + Cmd + E
  • To refresh, click the refresh button on the address bar or press Cmd + R

Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge (Windows)

• Hold down Ctrl and then press F5 on your keyboard

Source: What is a Hard Refresh? How to do a Hard Refresh in Any Browser.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that - although I still see English translations mentioned on a brown tab on the right, clicking on it just brings me to a page of sutta correspondence.
I haven’t had to do any refreshing for any other website as far as I know.

I did have some problems initially, and had to refresh several pages to get it to work. If you have another browser that you use infrequently you might try that. It’s also possible to clear all of the data, including cookies, for a particular site.

That’s just a label, not anything clickable.

Caching is one of the legendary hard problems in computer science! For very dynamic content, you want to cache lightly if at all. But SC is largely static and only changes slowly as new texts are added. So we cache aggressively to improve performance and reduce bandwidth, which is especially important for people in developing countries. Obviously, however, this should not come at the expense of pushing updates where needed, and we are always trying to improve it. We thought we’d fixed this issue, but clearly not.

If the problem persists, it’d help if you could post a screenshot, a URL, and your OS and browser details.

Dear Bhante, thanks for your detailed reply. I’m sorry to be a pain. Here are 5 screen shots of what I see with my browser, Firefox 78.15.0, when I try to view the English language Sutta Nipāta. When I tried to use Safari, I immediately got a message saying my browser was not supported.

SC3.pdf (153.2 KB)

SC4.pdf (132.4 KB)

You are absolutely not being a pain, but a great help! We can only learn from feedback.

This is outdated, we strongly recommend always using the latest browser version, which is now FF 93. You probably find that most sites work fine with an old browser; but that is because every year the web development community spends countless hours hacking in ugly code to support old browsers. No-one wants to do that!

Modern browsers are more secure, more performant, and support more web standards than ever before. And they’re free!

Again, I suspect it’s probably an older browser, AFAIK safari support should be fine these days. (Note though that Safari lags other browsers considerably in support for HTML features, sorry iOS users!)

Not sure why, but you’re not showing the fonts, so something is being blocked or broken.

The image you’re seeing is the table view, click the Table view icon to toggle it. The table view is for an overview of parallels, you can’t get to translations from there directly.

Thanks again Bhante.
When I look up Firefox 78.15.0, I see this, telling me it was first offered on October 5th.
When I click on the Firefox’s “About Firefox”, it tells me I’m up to date and there is nothing to change to.

Ah, okay, well I didn’t even know this existed! That’s the “extended support release”. Which is, I am learning now, a special version for enterprise. I.e. it stays stable longer so as not to break in-house company sites.

I’ll look into it and see if there are any specific web APIs that it lacks that may be causing a problem. Something to learn!

Meanwhile, try toggling the table view and see if it works then.

Hey I think clicking on “Table View” worked!
Thanks Bhante!

1 Like

@sujato
Dear Bhante,
I was so happy at the prospect of reading your translation of my favorite collection (well, in terms of it being my favorite coolection, I really mean the last two chapters). However, I now can’t open suttacentral.net at all on Safari–it just doens’t load.

It loads on Chrome but when I try to view your translations , I now can’t view the Pali at all (not Plain, or Side by side or Line by line. This is true for all the collections, not only the Sutta Nipata. I had no trouble in Safari at all before (though often the Pali–English word look-up acted up so I finally gave up on that).

I would prefer to use Safari (I know, groan). BTW I have version 13.1.2, and I have cleared the cache. But now I can’t even see the Pali on Chrome :frowning:

Can you advise?

PS OK now Safari is loading and works as before (I can see the Pali). But Chrome still won’t display the Pali at all…
Also thanks so much for all your work on this new transaltion!!

1 Like

Thanks, @HongDa can you look into this. :pray:

1 Like