Sutta Pitaka Diagram/Chart

I’m curently making a website to display large diagram using leaflet.js the library used for maps. For now, you can dowload the PNG by clicking on the button and zoom on your machine, computer is easier.

Yes we could make it more interactive, although it is a farly large file (SVG for interactivity) and it might be quite triky to make it smooth. I’ve seen this exemple with collapsible node, that might be interesting.

This is relativly easy to do and could be a good feature if hosted on Sutta Central.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll update the code to use the official sources. Then, the title format in pali will be more coherent (no space in the title, etc.)

2 Likes

@sujato having this as a sitemap page that was zoomable and hyperlinked would be so cool!!! Just sayin.

3 Likes

What an amazing piece of work, surely constructed with love for the Dhamma. It will be very helpful in my Dhamma studies.
Thank you,
RobertaK
:pray:t2:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @RobertaK ! Enjoy exploring all the wonderful resources available here.

If you have any questions or need any help, please feel free to ask; just tag @moderators in a topic or send a PM.

with Metta :sunflower::pray::sunflower:

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m very happy to have found this site.

Metta,
Roberta

3 Likes

Dear Bhante @sujato , uid_expansion.json contains all the acro, but super-name_root-misc-site.json not anymore. Is there a file that contains the acros and and that is not depreciated ?

Thank you. very much.

1 Like

I’ve documented this now.

But yes, the acronyms are here:

1 Like

Ok, very good. I’ve simply made an up to date uid_expansion with super_name and super_extra_info, so I don’t have to change my code.

uid_expansion_new = {
  const afterDot = (str) => str.substring(str.indexOf(".") + 1);
  const uids = [];
  for (const d in super_name) {
    const uid = afterDot(d);
    const acro = super_extra_info.find((e) => e.uid == uid);
    const obj = { uid: uid, acro: acro.acronym, name: super_name[d] };
    uids.push(obj);
  }
  return uids;
}

The graph is now up to date. I just need to check the Nettipakarana still.
Thank you everyone :wink:

PS: I doubted about the spelling of deprecated vs depreciated. More info here :grin:

2 Likes

I think I found errors here (where the chart’s leaves don’t show ranges).

In child_range.json: line 555-558

"vv-uragavagga": "Pv 1–12",
  "vv-ubbarivagga": "Pv 13–25",
  "vv-culavagga": "Pv 26–35",
  "vv-mahavagga": "Pv 36–51",

to

"pv-uragavagga": "Pv 1–12",
  "pv-ubbarivagga": "Pv 13–25",
  "pv-culavagga": "Pv 26–35",
  "pv-mahavagga": "Pv 36–51",

I’ve open up the leaves for Netti and Cariyapitaka on the chart to have a look at the structure.

2 Likes

Also, NettipakaraṇaNetti when using super_name instead of uid_expansion. Is this intended ?

1 Like

Oh thanks, my bad, I’ve fixed it now.

Yes, it seems Netti is the form preferred by the Mahasangiti edition. It uses the title Nettipāḷi, but Nettippakaraṇa is found nowhere.

The BJT edition has Nettippakaraṇa for the title, and adds Nettippakaraṇaṃ niṭṭhitaṃ. in the colophon. The Mahasangiti has no “nitthitam” tag.

Interestingly, the VRI edition, on which the Mahasangiti is based, uses Nettippakaraṇapāḷi in the title and Nettippakaraṇaṃ niṭṭhitaṃ. at the end, like the BJT. The commentary also has Nettippakaraṇa.

The PTS edition mentions that it is known as Netti, Nettippakaraṇa, or “Netti-gandha” (? Nettigantha?). It cites a number of references in commentaries and Tika to the name Netti. The manuscripts themselves, of course, didn’t have titles. At the end of the PTS edition, it cites some variants as to the colophon, but does not say that any editions lacked the colophon entirely.

There must be some reason why the Mahasangiti made this choice. It’s noteworthy that the last line of the text refers to itself as netti:

Ettāvatā samattā netti yā āyasmatā mahākaccāyanena bhāsitā bhagavatā anumoditā mūlasaṅgītiyaṁ saṅgītāti.

The mainline text for the Mahasangiti edition is the 1st printed edition from the 6th council; perhaps this reading comes from there.

The VRI, BJT and others are all based on the 2nd edition. According to the Mahasangiti folks, this was in fact the 5th council edition; Burma had been through an upheaval and the printer used the wrong one. So all subsequent editions of the “6th” council are in fact “5th” council. Of course they are very similar. I can’t verify that this is true, but it would be interesting to check this detail against the 1st edition of the Burmese script 6th Council. But they are very rare!

2 Likes

OK, thank you for all this information. So I will mention in the description that the chart is based on the Mahāsaṅgīti Tipiṭaka Buddhavasse 2500 structure.

One last thing a bit odd to me seems to be the structure of the Netti. You can see on the this picture

that the first 3 and last 2 sections repeat theselves in their names. Is this normal ?

When this detail is sorted, there will be only minor graphic details to touch up and it will be finished I think :wink:

2 Likes

Dear @Khemarato.bhikkhu, I’ve change the license to CC0 for now on.

3 Likes

This is beautiful!
I’m wondering if a similar chart could be created delineating EBT from LBT?

Amazing!

Beautiful work!

:anjal:

The doubling is, I think, just a hack for the sake of our navigation. it lets the items appear where they should. Sometimes when it comes to rare cases like this it’s easier to just duplicate the data a little rather than program the exceptions into the logic. But I’ll double check and see if they can be removed.

Some of these later books have quite a befuddling structure. Netti, Milinda, and Parivara come to mind.

Anyway, up to you, leave it or just remove the doubled items.

I remembered this Sutta…

Simsapa Sutta: The Simsapa Leaves

The Buddha compares the knowledge he gained in his Awakening to all the leaves in the forest, and his teachings to a mere handful of leaves. He then explains why he didn’t reveal the remainder.

Simsapa Sutta: The Simsapa Leaves

You showed the leaves in the Buddha’s hand

:anjal:

6 Likes

Actually just tested it and everything works fine with eliminating the duplicate entries. The only difference is that now the sutta card and the text have the same URL, which is anyway how it should be.

Thanks once again! This is always one of the great advantages of freely available data: someone else uses it and notices things you do it.

3 Likes

Is there a way you can create a chart in which the sutta can be encrypted and stored in and anyone then easily can access each Sutta, which would be an addendum to this one?