SuttaCentral 2021: bug reports here! 🐛

We had this recently with the Saarländisch Metta Sutta because of a wrong translator name in the code.

I think what normally should happen if a Sutta has no translation in the chosen language is that the Suttaplex card should be shown. This way the user can find out what translations or parallels for that Sutta are available.

@HongDa ? Bhante @sujato ?

1 Like

This still doesn’t seem to work. Now I wanted to look for a B.Bodhi translation but also those were not found. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Well, previously we have 0 result when searching for “dukkha”

Now, we have 1346 results when searching for “dukkha”. Big improvement! :clap:

However, we now only have 1 result when searching for “sukha” :sweat_smile:

Joking just to lighten up the mood, the message is: "Search is broken. Please fix it, thank you :pray:"

2 Likes

Update: Search seems to be working again. We now have 870 results for “sukha”. Yay! :smiley:

and less results for “dukkha” (1199 compared to 1346 as before). Not too sure if it’s a good indication though :sweat_smile:

I checked the commits recently on Github but didn’t find any hint to the root cause of the problem.

Is it because @HongDa re-ran the index to fix the search? Could anyone kindly tell me more clearly how did you fix it? Thank you again for fixing the search. :pray:

2 Likes

Wrong simile link?

On https://suttacentral.net/similes, under Lamp, the link in a dark house Mil 2.1.14 doesn’t seem to work for me.

2 Likes

Yes, there are many wrong links in that file. I am currently about to go through them all so that they can be fixed.

As for the Milindapanha links, try replacing the first digit “2” by “3” → Mil 3.1.14.

3 Likes

Hi! I found that the padding is missing in the Spanish version of this Sutta: Digha Nikaya 26
Cakkavatti Sutta. Thank you :pray:t3: :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Turns out, it’s not the padding exactly. The problem is that these translations include the Pali subheadings, which in some cases are very long. But browsers don’t know how to hyphenate Pali, so they just keep something like Bhikkhunoāyuvaṇṇādivaḍḍhanakathā (in a large font) all on one line. In our Pali files, we have a (painful and inadequate) process to mitigate this, but we don’t expect Pali headings in translation files.

I’ve removed the Pali from these headings.

Meanwhile, I have previously made a proposal to fix this problem in browsers by creating aliases for hyphenation. A thumbs up would help!

4 Likes

Thank you Bhante! I gave a thumb up on Github :blush::pray:t3:

2 Likes

Looking for a translation of “sammā” in Google, I found the one from Suttacentral.net, when you enter the page it is cut off in the cell phone…

2 Likes

Oh thanks, this is an oversight, I have submitted a fix for it.

1 Like

Thank you Bhante :pray:t3: :blush:!

Hello, the link to the Jataka takes the user to the Anguttara Nikaya instead: SuttaCentral

Even though the header identifies the Jataka, the text is the contents to AN.

Thank you for reading this. I hope it was useful. I apologize if this has already been addressed.

It seems this has been posted in two different places. I have answered it here:

2 Likes

If I go directly to a single reference in sn43.14-43, say sn43.14, I get a bunch of “null’s”

1 Like

This bug has been fixed, I believe, and will roll out soon.

2 Likes

Recently I found the Discuss & Discover icons on Android… a little weird… :joy:

The one on the left:

Screenshot_20220921_221129

When is loading :

1 Like

Not sure if I should to report this on suttacentral or on the calling app (@benmneb).

I use the PTS Reference to Sutta Number tool (thank you very much).

It appends ?ref=benmneb.github.io/pts-converter/ to the end of the ‘Read this sutta’ links, so I might look up S III 109 and it will form the following url (for English): https://suttacentral.net/sn22.84/en/sujato?layout=sidebyside&reference=main/pts&notes=asterisk&highlight=false&script=latin#pts-vp-pli3.109?ref=benmneb.github.io/pts-converter/

But that takes me to the start of SN 22.84

If I remove the ?ref=benmneb.github.io/pts-converter/ from the end of the url, then it scrolls to pts-vp-pli3.109 which is the behaviour that I was actually hoping for.

1 Like

Very nice. Thanks for letting me know. This is my fault, I put that on the end so Sujato knows where all the traffic I send there comes from :grin: without thinking there might already be query strings. I’ll fix it this week so it works for everyone.

If you find any other problems with the converter, post and issue on GitHub or @ me here. Thanks again

2 Likes

https://suttacentral.net/an5.144/en/sujato

Looks like the html is wonky

"an5.144:2.2": "<ol><li>{}</li>",
  "an5.144:2.3": "<li>{}</li>",
  "an5.144:2.4": "<li>{}</li>",
  "an5.144:2.5": "<li>{}</li></ol>",

You’ve missed the first item.