SuttaCentral 2021: bug reports here! 🐛

SN35 Nandikkhayavagga
SuttaCentral

The English titles are missing:

Also for the next section: SuttaCentral

1 Like

Trivial stuff again, I do not see this posing an unsolvable obstacle to spiritual progression.

Let’s say we’re here (an example only; it happens elsewhere also):
1 - sp

We stab the bottom right nav button a few times

2 - next nav

and arrive here

2b - ep

Now use the dot-dot-dot menu to search for it on D & D:
3 - DD nav

D & D search term uses the first sutta, not the one we navigated to with ‘Next’.
4 - DD result

To be clear, the quirk is not the search results, rather the search phrase.

This occurs in SC app, Chrome, Edge

2 Likes

I’m on a 2011 MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitain using Google Chrome.

I previously posted about being able to get the app but not actually use it offline unless I had previously accessed that sutta while online.

I also was having trouble using the search function when I was actually online.

Now, even though I have deleted the app, emptied the trash, and done a restart, I still get the message “please connect to the internet to use search”.

I can’t find any other ‘suttacentral’ files on my computer and a search for ‘sutta’ gives way too many results, none of which appear to be related to SC.

Any suggestions? Or is this a common bug even if I hadn’t tried to download the app?

EDIT: Fixed it! Yay me! Deleted cache/browsing data/cookies in Chrome.

2 Likes

Hi Friends, thanks for the lovely update to the site! For some reason in Chrome when I click on one of the options for “View root text with translation” in the mĆ«la text, it isn’t showing the English text alongside it. This function is working for me in Safari, but not in Chrome even after I clear cache/cookies.

1 Like

macOS Big Sur Version 11.2.3 (20D91)
Safari: Version 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.7)

could not seem to:

1. get Pali and English line-by-line or side-by-side in any place where it is generally working

tried: clear all history and restart Safari but then got no SuttaCentral page just a white screen.
tried: install PWA - install didn’t seem to happen. Got the “keep doing whatever and we will notify you when done” msg. No msg ever came. No PWA installed.
tried: install Chrome - same blank white page in Chrome.

Scratching head. Ideas?

This is another bhikkhunī’s machine. My newer Mac w/ Chrome and Safari and PWA all work fine. Same internet service.

edit: Lightbulb maybe - didn’t clear cookies. Gonna go see if I can fiddle with the machine some more and give that a go. Other ideas still welcome. additional edit: Nope! In Safari the cookies get cleared with the bookmarks. Rechecked both browsers today and they are still only showing the graphical representation of a sutta on emptiness.

1 Like

I was looking around Chrome app files on my phone and I found this by chance: “file not found: https://suttacentral.net/node_modules/viewerjs/dist/viewer.min.css” No idea what it means but perhaps is related to the issue of the Data Load error I keep getting.

1 Like

Forgive me if this bug has already been reported. I’m updating the SuttaCentral links on BuddhaNexus. There are a couple of things that have changed.

1. The range hightlighting no longer works with links using a -- in the url. Is there another way in which this works or should I just link to the first segment of the range indicated?
    So for instance https://suttacentral.net/mn92/pli/ms#2.2--2.7 no longer works so is the best thing to do to link to https://suttacentral.net/mn92/pli/ms#2.2 instead?
  2. The Dhammapada numbers are rather confusing. Is there a way to see (and link to) Dhammapada verse numbers? Right now all vatthus are numbered 0 and the lines are numbered 1-4 for each verse.

5 Likes

Sutta links in essays on SuttaCentral sometimes lead into nowhere land, like for example links to AN One Suttas in Bhikkhu Bodhi’s AN essay:

Suttas that dwell on this theme are found throughout the work. A series of short texts in the Ones delineates the factors that cause the good Dhamma to vanish and, conversely, the factors that sustain its vitality (AN 1.30–69).

The link goes to AN 1.30 which is a Sutta in a Vagga file, and the URL https://suttacentral.net/an1.30 doesn’t exist as such.

2 Likes

The removal of the CPED entries that do not occur in the NCPED seems to have reduced the coverage of the automated lookup. For example mahāmatta has gone missing and, therefore mahāmattaáčƒ is not found by the automated lookup system.

1 Like

For me the Pali lookup has stopped completely. I just get, for example:

bhagavā

1. ?
2 Likes

So is Pali (or Chinese) lookup working for anyone? I’ve tried some different browsers, but don’t get any more than in my message above

1 Like

They are both broken for me, too. I noticed within the past couple days when looking at Pali parallels.

2 Likes

Sorry, the dictionary content was not loaded into the database due to Wednesday’s update. It is being repaired.:pray:

2 Likes

The dictionary data has been reloaded, please try if you have time :pray:

4 Likes

Great! Search and Pali and Chinese lookup is now working for me. I had to clear my cache to get the lookup to work.

2 Likes

This Sanskrit Text is spilling over the left and right sides of my screen (iPhone 6s- Chrome) making it impossible to read:

I can scroll right a bit to reveal the overflow text on the right hand side but the text overflowing on the left is completely hidden :pensive:

1 Like

When I view a translation in English, the navigation links for “previous” and “next” attempt to link to the next text in the collection, regardless of whether it has been translated. If the text has not been translated, then the page simply says “Data Load Error”. Further errors and confusion ensue.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Navigate to SA 87. Click on the “Next” button to go to SA 88. This will show the Data Load Error page.
  2. On the Data Load Error page (SA 88), note that the title and links are as though we are still reading the translation of SA 87. Note the “previous” link is to SA 86 and the “next” link is to SA 88, despite the fact that we are on the SA 88 error page. Click “previous” to be navigated all the way back to SA 86.
  3. Note that while SA 86 is displayed in full with its translated text, the Data Load Error icon and text is still displayed at the bottom of the page, immediately below the text.

Platforms: Firefox 87 and Chromium 90 on Ubuntu 20.04.

1 Like

Thank you @llt :pray:
This is because sa88 has no relevant translation.
I will change it to show the root text if there is no relevant translation :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi,
I’m on an iPhone 6 iOS 12.5.
The new 2021 site has stopped working for several days on my phone. Now it’s only a blank page on the screen suttacentral.net
Can Anyone help me out?

2 Likes

The latest iOS is 14.5. Perhaps SuttaCentral no longer supports your old version of Safari? Unfortunately there’s not much you can do if so: the app store forbids third party rendering engines (and I assume your 6 is refusing iOS updates?)