SuttaCentral 2021: we are live!

Dear Bhante @sujato , Hongda, Blake, and everyone else involved,

A huge “anumodana”. I’ve been so impressed with this resource, but the Discourse section and the site itself. Thank you for this gift.

In the Dhamma,
Nisabho Bhikkhu

13 Likes

Ah, yes! We do have many new SA sutra translations that made it into the launch. The MA sutras will be on the way. I’ll be working on editing and adding them while I translate the Dirgha Agama.

11 Likes

Sadhu, Sadhu, Saaadhu. What else can I say!
With Metta

7 Likes

Congrats to everyone! Looks great!

Question, I can’t find out how to turn off segment numbers. Is that possible? EDIT: Ah, I see those are what are called “Reference”.

Just an fyi, for me, none of the options under view were selected by default.

8 Likes

Yeah. I was also confused by the label “Reference” for this option. What might be a clearer label for this setting?

5 Likes

Reference is not properlky working ATM, it’s one of the few feautues we didn’t finish. It should be working properly before long.

Not sure if there’s a better name for it.

3 Likes

“Section Numbering”? With an explanation like “Manuscripts have a variety of numbering systems. Choose the ones you need.”

4 Likes

Next to Ashoka’s Pillars, the development of Sutta Central may be one of the most important acts of homage to the Buddha, and global communication influences by his Sangha, in the course of Buddhist history. After years of Bhante Sujato isolating in Qimei translating, and with Ajahn Brahmali’s work and expertise in Vinaya, and with all the help of other collaborators/translators, we have, in a sense, an accomplishment that might be considered the Ashokan Pillars of our time.

27 Likes

I’m loving this. Three great big sadhus! for the suttacentral team. You guys are amazing. History is yet to judge how influential suttacentral will be to future generations, but my hunch is that this resource might be equal in stature to the writing down of the Tipitaka and its translation into Chinese. I’m just happy to be alive during this time. :grinning:

13 Likes

:blush: aww you guys, stop it!

13 Likes

Welcome! I am u/DiamondNgXZ from reddit, in case if you’re u/BBBalls.

2 Likes

Excellent as expected, long road but worth the wait. Gratitude to all involved and especially to Bhante Sujato for the mammoth undertaking. You can always count on us to support you in any which way we can. :star_struck:

9 Likes

Congrats! It does looks easier to navigate.

I wonder if it is possible for each sutta to have an additional link to discussion

See below, each sutta now has a to d, if e, link to discussion here can be added, it’ll be the discussion feature for each sutta where people after reading it can come here and discuss about it or see what others had said about it.

a. translations** in your chosen language

b. edition** of the root text

c. translations** in other modern languages

d. parallels** in ancient texts

e. discussion in discuss & discover

The linking process can be that each time there’s a discussion topic on that particular sutta, the people on the website backend can be notified via mention to add this link to the discussion link. So organically the discussions grows. Instructions to create a new discussion for a particular sutta can be that:

1. Title of discussion is copy paste the name of the sutta.
  2. Do a mention to the people who can add the link to the sutta.
  3. Have some actual content contribution to discuss the sutta, not just “this sutta is awesome”, but more along the lines of “This sutta links to that other sutta, overall giving this impression,” or “what’s the meaning of this terminology in this sutta? Is there some contradiction here?”

Example: MN50 (The Rebuke of Māra): translation and interpretation queries
AN 7.64 kodhana (anger), case 3 of 7 unclear what is meant by “profit” or “loss”, and how exactly that sabotages what angry person wants

Translator notes can also be included there.

Just suggesting.

5 Likes

Indeed, that would be nice. We did some work along these lines earlier, but it has been left behind rather. I’ll think about it some more.

5 Likes

Simply GREAT!
Sadhu! Bhante Sadhu! Sadhu!
:pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

It is easy to see the pride in the new web site, So sorry to say the old one was better much better, now we dont get verse numbers and the roll over pali was useful, you bottom box of pail to english is way to spacy causing me to use the mouse way more that the old way. wow so much work when it use to be easy. can you give us the option to use the old way?

1 Like

They are there. In the views icon, select the numbers you want from the Reference section.

Regarding the popup lookup being changed to a bottom panel, It will probably take some getting used to. For longer definitions it’s much better. Maybe they could make the panel scaleable?

I didn’t like the previous revision at first myself. Then I got used to it. I can already tell you that there is no way for them to make the old version available. Sites don’t work like that. This was a total rebuild.

4 Likes

Kudos for the tables of contents. Check out DN16

4 Likes

Sorry about that! It’s important for us to hear from people who don’t like it.

Maybe there are better ways of using it? In the previous version, you had to exactly position the mouse over every word. Now you click, and you can proceed from one word to the other just by pressing the arrow button at the bottom. You can even use your keyboard for this (although this depends on your browser and OS).

True. But if someone wants to use the old site, they can run it themselves locally, or even point it at a URL if they want! It’s all still there in Github. But you can’t update the texts, as they are in a different format.

3 Likes

Dear Bhante,

The new version looks better! :slightly_smiling_face:

Over the years, I have been using your translations with the original Pali Version in Sinhala script on the side. It was really of great benefit to me!

Not only it was a great way to improve Pali Knowledge but, it also, gave an additional joy in reading the Sutta in Lord Buddha’s own words! Much, much merit to you, Bhante! :pray:

In the new version, I am not able to activate this feature (Pali text on the side in Sinhala) :roll_eyes: :cry: !!!

I have ticked all the relevant boxes in the ‘View’ Panel, at the top (as shown below)but, nothing seems to be working! :worried:
View root text with translation
Side by side
Change Pali script - Sinhala
I have done this every morning, over the past few days but, to no avail!
I have a feeling that I may not be doing something pivotal to get to what I want. Please point me in the right direction. :pleading_face:
If it is a system weakness, I hope the problem is only a teething problem not, anything to do with the Wisdom Tooth! :grin:
If it is a problem, please dont worry! What we have got is good enough! :point_up_2:
With Metta,
Upasako

2 Likes