SuttaCentral 2021: we are live!

Sorry to hear that. I’ve just checked it, it works fine for me. Can you try to first do a hard refresh then see if the problem persists.

Next, if it persists, let me know your browser and OS (including version number.)

Finally, another issue could be the connection: the conversion is sent over the internet (unlike previous versions where it was performed in-browser.) Could you be having connectivity problems?

1 Like

Excellent work done !! Great source of Buddhist canonical texts.

Would love to see deciphering of Ashokan pillar edicts (great source of information) and connecting with canonical texts !!

Sadhu Sadhu Sadhu
Bhante :pray::pray::pray:

I’m afraid that is beyond our scope. But you now can read the suttas in Brahmi script!

Thank you very much Bhante, for the very prompt response. :pray:

Yes, it works! That’s great! :point_up_2:

All this time, I have been using Google to access SuttaCentral & it worked beautifully until, now.

I have switched to MS Edge & the version, “English with Pali in Sinhala, on the side” is working on Edge. Problem solved! :grinning:

That is great!! Thanks, again! :pray:

With Metta,
Upasako

3 Likes

Hello all,

This is excellent work! Thank you so much!

Now, if I may put on my verification and validation hat, just a couple of problems. First, perhaps due to an overload on the servers, the Pali Language search is not working for me on the new site, and, second, the language of the Concise Pali English Dictionary, but not the New Pali English Dictionary, seems to be chosen at random.

David.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t quite understand the problem?

Ahh yes, that’s a bug. In fact there is no CPED any more in English, it should be replaced by NCPED. (Previously we used them both side by side, as NCPED only included updated entries, but now they are combined.)

1 Like

When I search for a Pali word, no results in Pali texts are returned. Is this by design? If so, the filter for root texts should be removed.

1 Like

Whooooo! Super shiny. Knowing how software development can go, this is a ton of improvements in all sorts of ways in a short amount of time. So very much gratitude for all the phenomenal work by the team!

3 Likes

I think it’s been the best resource in the world for quite a while! Many thanks for all the hard work!!

2 Likes

Well for me, the Pāli lookup caused copy and paste issues quite severely. Plus when one definition popped up it was really troublesome if you try to move to another word, and required very delicate manoeuvring to get to the right words in such cases, to do with bubbles and having to move the cursor only through the gaps to avoid issues… complicated to explain. So I’m glad it’s changed!

One thing I did notice - I think it was this passage:

‘yāvadeva sītassa paṭighātāya, uṇhassa paṭighātāya, ḍaṁsamakasavātātapasarīsapasamphassānaṁ paṭighātāya, yāvadeva hirikopīnappaṭicchādanatthaṁ’.

I was looking as this earlier today and so far as I remember, clicking on ḍaṁsamakasavātātapasarīsapasamphassānaṁ (possibly the longest compound I’ve ever seen!), broke it down into the separate parts and gave translations. Great! :star_struck:

However, I think it was hirikopīnappaṭicchādanatthaṁ that gave no results at all :sleepy:

I tried to confirm that now, but… the lookup is not working at all, for anything! Here’s a screenshot - I think I have the settings correct?

Anyone have any ideas why? (Mac, Chrome)

Oops, no, this is a bug, we mustn’t have indexed the Pali texts, will get on to it.

Thanks!

Just checking that word now, and it works fine.

It looks like some bug in your browser. Can you check your browser console (Right click > inspect > console) and see if there are any red error messages?

Indeed. In addition, the lookup tool lets us click on a head word and go to the full entry; it gives grammatical details; also cross-references; also more detailed entries in many cases.

3 Likes

So, I get this:

Now I tried reloading the page, and that did fix it. However, then I tried copying the url, opening a new tab, pasting the url (which had /sujato#5.2 at the end so I deleted that to just /sujato#5.2 ), and again the lookup is not working. So I reloaded the page, and, it works. Hopefully this is useful info? happy to do more tests at your instruction if helpful.

Awesome! :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, now that I have it working, I have found which compound it did not work with:

Thanks. I’m not sure we can do anything at the moment, but keep us posted if the issue recurs, especially if you notice any patterns.

Yes, that one it doesn’t get. It’s not 100%. Here you go:

• utu = weather
  • parissaya = risk, trouble
  • vinodana = dispelling
  • paṭisallāna = retreat, solitude
  • ārāma = enjoyment
  • atthaṁ = for the purpose of
3 Likes

Ok sure. I just ran a test - I googled: MN31 suttacentral - the followed the link (your translation for all of these tests hence with Pāli + English). The Pāli line by line came up automatically - excellent! It was always a bit of a hassle having to go into the menu to turn that on at every new page I went to.

But, the Pāli lookup was not working. Even though it was automatically switched on (nice, must be remembering me). Copied the URL, pasted in a new tab, and the lookup works.

Tried the same procedure with MN 12. Worked straight off from the google link. Tried another MN, same, works straight off.

Tried new window for the first step of the procedure instead of new tab in case that was a variable. Works again. Tried another, still works. Also, before the first of these, I did what I believe with moderate confidence was the same procedure, and it worked. Most likely using a new window rather than tab but not sure. And, it did work. I neglected to mention this because then I tried it again, and it did not work. Which is why I continued, as this made me uncertain of attending to all variables the first time. However, I think that was the case. Furthermore, since as I reported earlier, it went from working to not working (with unrecorded variables). In conclusion, it seems… intermittent?

Sorry that I have not been able to pinpoint the causal variable.

Oh thanks! I guess it must be hard work getting compound breaking working smoothly! I could imagine a compromise solution which I could mention if useful, though I do not know about programming and whether it would be easy to do…

Also, I had two pasting issues today. No big deal but in case it’s useful for you? One so far as I remember was the deletion of a space between words, where the former word was italicised in the source. The second was pasting from wikipedia, the space disappeared proceeding a hyperlink - see ‘Buddhistmonastery’

I try again here:
The Jivakarama vihara , also Jivaka Amravana vihara (Amra-vana means “mango garden”),[1]Jivakamravana , Jivakamrabana or Jivakavanarama , is an ancient Buddhist monastery, or vihara, established at the time of the Buddha.[2][3][4]

How curious, it appears fine in the preview on the right hand side!

Let’s see if it changes when I post!

Edit: It worked fine! Perhaps it’s when put as a quote. I will try:

The Jivakarama vihara , also Jivaka Amravana vihara (Amra-vana means “mango garden”),[1]Jivakamravana , Jivakamrabana or Jivakavanarama , is an ancient Buddhist monastery, or vihara, established at the time of the Buddha.[2][3][4]

Hm… still fine in the preview on the right! We will see when I post it…
Edit: curious, that still works. Well, perhaps that is all I can explore for now.

For me the “Side by side” and/or “Line by line” translation doesn’t work.

I’m using Windows 10 with a desktop PC, the latest version of Chrome, and a good internet connection.

I did an “Empty cache and hard reload” kind of page refresh.

I do see errors in the browser’s developer console but the *.js is minified so I can’t easily help you understand it:

Good news (for me):

• I don’t get this problem with the Edge browser
  • The problem goes away in Chrome when I select one of the “Show notes and variants in segmented texts” as shown below – none of these options were initially selected by default as shown above

Even with this change I still see those error messages in the Chrome developer console.

I don’t think I see them in the Edge console (but I’m less familiar with its dev tools UI).

Edge reports several “issues” however, at least one of which may be important:

I think HTTP cache | webhint documentation is complaining about the filenames of your *.js files e.g. “main.js” and “946.js” – the thing is that each time you release a different version of the minified JS then it should have a different filename (because the old version of the JS is cached all over the placed, in users’ browsers and in proxies) – so a filename like “main-20210320-0903.js” would be normal, but a name like “main.js” seems to me to be asking for trouble – it means whenever a user reports a bug, the first thing you have to ask them is, “Could you please try to clear your caches and try again?” which is impossibly difficult for users.

This may be the same problem you were having.

2 Likes

For me the “Activate Pali word lookup” (to English) doesn’t work, neither using Chrome nor Edge (on a Windows 10 PC).

How is it supposed to work – is it like before – I’m trying to do it by using the mouse to hover over a Pali word which I displayed using the “View root text with translation” feature on one of your translations.

In this version you click on the Pali word, and the translation appears at the bottom. You can then navigate from word to word.

Ok thank you. So:

• Clicking (or mouse-hovering) on a Pali word, which I displayed using “Activate Pali word lookup”, now does nothing (and causes no network requests). :frowning:
  • But it does work, when I click on the Pali (untranslated) version of the text.

I used to enjoy:

• Displaying one of Ven Sujato’s translations
  • Activating “View root text with translation”
  • Using “Activate Pali word lookup” for specific words, to compare with or to better-understand the translation

That sounds like a bug. For me it works for the English-Pali display. I’m using Chrome on Linux, and I just tried it on a Windows 10 VM and Chrome and Edge work there.

I did clear cookies and cache completely. I think that helps.

1 Like

Thank you again.

My doing “Empty cache and hard reload” in Chrome wasn’t enough – but deleting everything (i.e. cache and local and database storage, service workers and cookies) using chrome://settings/siteData?searchSubpage=suttacentral was enough to fix that.

So maybe the root problem is as mentioned above, i.e. the software’s not mangling its resource names with a version-related unique id, causing stale-cache problems, and/or expecting users to delete this kind of thing themselves.

1 Like